Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Funny from Reader’s Digest

Tagged: 

• Funny from Reader’s Digest

Posted by brenda-denzler on September 29, 2022 at 3:18 pm

This month’s Reader’s Digest has a joke in it that I would imagine everyone here who’s on oxygen will enjoy. I thought it was funny, at least! Here it is:

“My uncle was in the hospital when a nurse came into his room and asked him, ‘Do you use oxygen?’

“With an incredulous look on his face, my uncle replied, ‘Doesn’t everybody?'”

jen-cueva replied 8 months ago 7 Members · 46 Replies
  • 46 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 29, 2022 at 6:45 pm

LOL, thanks, @brendad53, that’s too cute and funny! We all need these laughs each day, right?

My late Granny always read Reader’s Digest. I remember them like it was yesterday on her coffee tables. Now, I rarely see them unless it’s at a doctor’s office, which I prefer not to touch since COVID appeared.

• brenda-denzler

September 29, 2022 at 6:50 pm

In enjoy RD. Mostly the jokes. Some nice articles.

• jen-cueva

September 30, 2022 at 9:54 am

Aww. I can see that, @brendad53. I, too, remember the jokes and the tiny writing back then. I bet now that font appears even smaller with my aging eyes. Hehe.

• brenda-denzler

September 30, 2022 at 9:56 am

They do have a large print edition, now.

Jus’ sayin’……

• jen-cueva

September 30, 2022 at 10:10 am

It’s about time, @brendad53, hehe. I can picture that tiny font back then and thinking, oh boy, that would
        certainly require my readers.

• V.R. Peterson

September 30, 2022 at 5:50 am

I love it!

• jen-cueva

September 30, 2022 at 9:55 am

Welcome back, @mamabear007. You’ve been missed, my PHriend. How have you been?

• V.R. Peterson

September 30, 2022 at 10:41 am

Doing good finally, @jenc! I’ve had trouble logging into the forums, but they finally changed the challenge from a puzzle to a code. Those two puzzle pieces just didn’t want to fit together (though it looked like a proper fit to me).

• jen-cueva

October 3, 2022 at 12:11 pm

So happy to have you back @mamabear007 and feeling better. You’ve been missed. BTW, you weren’t the only person that struggled with that puzzle. Thankfully, we now have a new sign-in system.

• jen-cueva

July 18, 2023 at 3:35 pm

Hey @raya, @brendad53 shared a hilarious one from Readers’ Digest. And guess what? Today, I stumbled upon another RD funny.

My 85-year-old grandfather was rushed to the hospital with a possible concussion. The doctor asked him a series of questions: “Do you know where you are?” “I’m at Rex Hospital.” “What city are you in?” “Raleigh.” “Do you know who I am?” “Dr. Hamilton.” My grandfather then turned to the nurse and said, “I hope he doesn’t ask me any more questions.” “Why?” she asked. “Because all of those answers were on his badge.” —Webb Smith

Hey, y’all, how about spreading cheer and brightening our days with a hilarious joke? Is anyone up for sharing a good laugh?

• Raya

July 18, 2023 at 10:52 pm

That’s a great joke – thank you!

• jen-cueva

July 20, 2023 at 4:11 pm

It’s my pleasure, @raya! Laughter is always the best for a stressful day. How are you are Dad doing at the Airbnb? How long will you guys be there before you can return to his house?

• V.R. Peterson

July 19, 2023 at 9:39 am

Before my son had his PTE surgery, he would always joke that, except for the inability to breathe, he was quite healthy. I almost felt guilty at laughing — or I would’ve if he hadn’t laughed first.

• jen-cueva

July 20, 2023 at 4:19 pm

LOL, @mamabear007, I love that! We have to laugh at the struggles. The t-shirt was perfect for your gallbladder surgery. Did any of the staff at the hospital comment on it?

I would have loved it, too. I’ve seen some crazy tees caring for patients while working in nursing. Hearing things and talking with my patients and their families was never dull.

One of my long-term hospice patients always had funny sayings, and I would see home at the end of my day if I could. I always sat longer and chit-chatted with him after we did our nursing visit. Then I would help him prepare whatever he had for dinner if he needed help.

He was an old railroad engineer and had a quirky sense of humor. He told me when he died, he wanted to trick his family at the service and have them put a mannequin of a sexy woman in the open casket but alone. Hehe

I hate that I was diagnosed with PH and had to stop working before I heard any updates about him. When I left, his family changed hospice services, and he moved to live with a niece.

• V.R. Peterson

July 20, 2023 at 4:23 pm

@jenc, the assistant surgeon thought the t-shirt was hilarious. I’m sorry you never got to hear any updates from/about the long-term hospice patients. He sounds like he would’ve been a wonderful friend, whether or not he was healthy.

• jen-cueva

July 24, 2023 at 12:25 pm

I bet that made for a great laugh before surgery, @mamabear007. It’s always a nice break before surgery when we see the surgical team can enjoy a laugh and a sense of humor. Brittany is good at finding funny tees to wear on surgery days. I bet she must have at least 10, if not more. Having that dark sense of humor sometimes helps, especially if we are dealing with as many surgeries as she has, our dear girl.

• V.R. Peterson

July 24, 2023 at 12:35 pm

@jenc, dark humor can definitely lighten the mood during a serious situation.

How’s Brittany doing?

• brenda-denzler

July 19, 2023 at 2:00 pm

Mama Bear, I’ll bet he’s a Monty Python fan. “It’s only a flesh wound!”

• V.R. Peterson

July 19, 2023 at 2:44 pm

Yes, @brendad53! All our children are Monty Python fans. They come by it honestly. When I had my gall bladder out, my husband wore a t-shirt from that “flesh wound” scene! I loved it!

• Sally Hoffman

July 20, 2023 at 4:37 pm

About 25 years ago, I had a weird reaction to my first time on a blood pressure medication.  My pressure shot to 250/150.  I was in and out of ERS for two years, until it was finally discovered I was allergic to many BP meds.  However, one of the hospital stays included a week in an ICU unit.  I spent all of my time there watching “I Love Lucy” reruns.  I was hysterical laughing!  At one point I apologized to the nurses for making so much noise.  Their response was “Don’t apologize to us, you made our day.  We never hear laughter on this ward.  Laughing is good for you and it was good for us”

• jen-cueva

July 24, 2023 at 1:00 pm

Wow, @mainegal, that was a high BP, my PHriend. My BP tends to run low before my PH, so I think yours is so high. Being at the ER so often must have been frightening and exhausting. Thank God they finally figured it out.

But being allergic to so many BP medications must make it difficult if you do need to be in the ER or hospitalized. Hopefully, this is all noted in your medical chart.

I Love Lucy is always a good one for laughs. I’m sure your nurses enjoyed hearing the laughter, watching for a few minutes, and laughing with you.

Thanks for sharing, although the high BP was def not funny!

• Colleen

July 20, 2023 at 5:43 pm

@mainegal are you sure it was the BP med and not laughter raising your blood pressure? LOL!

On a serious note, 250-150 is a scary number! So glad they eventually figured out the allergy! My son is allergic to Zofran. Instead of helping with his nausea it makes him projectile vomit. It took them a while to figure out it was the med making him worse.

Just the thought of you laughing at “I Love Lucy” makes me smile and laugh! When Cullen was a child with PH he had a PH friend his age. One time while visiting with him in the hospital they were laughing so hard the nurse kept running in because Cullen’s heart rate would go crazy. She warned them they had to turn it down a bit or his friend would have to leave. Then the nurse turned to look at me and winked.

Laughter IS the best medicine!

• jen-cueva

July 24, 2023 at 1:09 pm

Another one for the week. It’s a funny one-liner. I just read it and thought I would share.

“Did you hear the one about the nurse who the doctor chewed out because she was absent without gauze?” Hehe.

Share a funny you heard this week, so we can all share some laughter.

• brenda-denzler

July 24, 2023 at 2:09 pm

Or the one about the patient lying on the operating room table, about to be put under for an operation. A doctor approaches the table and says, “Don’t worry, David. This is a simple operation.”

The patient says, “My name’s not David. It’s Jim.”

The doctor looks startled and says, “I’m David.”

• jen-cueva

July 26, 2023 at 10:20 am

Too funny, @brendad53! I love the laughter that we can share despite any struggles we are dealing with.

IDK if this pep talk would have frightened me, but probably so. More especially when our nerves are shot, you hear that while lying on the table. Don’t we tend to think the worst already?

• V.R. Peterson

July 24, 2023 at 3:32 pm

Here’s mine:

There should be a calorie refund for things that didn’t taste as good as you expected.

• jen-cueva

July 26, 2023 at 10:25 am

OMG, @mamabear007! This is so true. Hehe.

Yes, when we crave that one thing that we crave, that’s horrible for us, and it fails our expectations. Is there a takeback, undo, or delete button?

I always say it doesn’t count if we share. Since my daughter is a dietician, we have used this for years, especially on road trips. We would splurge and share a giant-sized cinnamon roll or something.

• V.R. Peterson

July 26, 2023 at 10:42 am

@jenc, and food stored on the top of the fridge has no calories — the calories jump off and hit the floor before those cookies ever hit my mouth!

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2023 at 12:46 pm

OMG, I am taking this one, @mamabear007! I will also start storing my cookies on top of the fridge. I am still laughing about this. I may eat the last cookie that KK made while she was here. Hehe

Have a lovely weekend, and make sure it’s full of laughter!

• V.R. Peterson

July 28, 2023 at 1:49 pm

Go ahead and take it, @jenc. I don’t even remember where I first saw it.

• Colleen

July 24, 2023 at 8:33 pm

@brendad53 @jenc @mamabear007 @mainegal outsiders would never believe that a PH forum can have you snorting with laughter.

Just took a moment to read all of the jokes!

My husband was a Monty Python fan and the flesh wound scene was one of his favorites to quote!

Cullen has quite the sense of humor which has gotten him through many a hospital stay. I’ll have to think of some good ones to share later.

• V.R. Peterson

July 26, 2023 at 9:01 am

The first time my son was hospitalized for PH (to get the RH cath for diagnosis, then figure out the right dosage Remodulin), he had the ICU nurses in stitches. They loved him so much that the night nurses would order pizza and congregate in his room for a party (or sometimes just for a game of cards).

I also remember the therapy dog handler was walking through the ICU to get to another wing of the hospital, and the dog broke away an bolted into my son’s room. Apparently, ICU patients are generally not well enough to handle having a dog (even if it’s the therapy dog) in their room. My son informed the handler that he was quite able to love on a dog in his room and to stop chastising the dog for being there. That dog did my son a world of good — and seeing my son’s spirits lifted so much did this mama’s heart a world of good. 💜

• jen-cueva

July 26, 2023 at 10:35 am

Aww, I love this so much, @mamabear007! As much as your son enjoyed the laugh, it left a memorable presence, I’m sure, and it lifted his spirits; I can guarantee the staff also benefited greatly!

I can never forget some of my closest moments have been with laughter in a patient’s room. I’ve also tried hard to make my room a pleasant place for the staff, too, for the most part.

Even when I wasn’t aware, I heard I entertained them probably more than they wanted.

Therapy animals do so much more than many realize. I’ve seen and experienced it from both sides.

Of course, your Mamabear heart was happy seeing your son have some breaks to laugh and enjoy between the struggles. Thanks for sharing such personal; stories to help others laugh and know it’s OK to laugh as a patient. Also, a column idea, so stay tuned, y’all. 😉

If you approve, I may reach out to some of you to add bits of your stories in my future column.

• V.R. Peterson

July 26, 2023 at 10:44 am

I can hardly wait to see that column, @jenc!

• Colleen

July 26, 2023 at 11:15 am

@mamabear007 I think I have said this before…our son’s would get along so well!

I LOVE the story about the therapy dog. Cullen always looked forward to their visits and hated that they couldn’t see him whenever he was in the ICU. I get the concerns but on the other hand, it’s the ICU patients who probably need the love from a dog the most!

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2023 at 12:47 pm

Hey @colleensteele and @mamabear007, I believe your sons would get along well. Maybe you can connect the two if them one day.

• jen-cueva

July 26, 2023 at 10:28 am

I know, right, @colleensteele? Now, I heard you snorting with laughter as I read your response.

I’m sure you could use some laughter. Although, Cullen always seems to have that dark sense of humor, too, to help carry him through life’s trials. We look forward to hearing some of your or Cullen’s jokes.

Laughter is the best medicine, but better when shared amongst a loving and supportive group. <3

• Colleen

July 26, 2023 at 11:24 am

I debated sharing this. Might seem too dark but well…here we go.

My husband had moments of wakefulness in the hospital. He was aware in many ways and not so aware in others.

For the past few years as his health declined I was his caregiver. He got in the habit of placing his hand over my heart as a gesture of love and appreciation while I was caring for him.

The first morning Brian was somewhat awake the male nurse informed me he was responding well to the female nurse but didn’t seem to trust him. He wasn’t upset about it…was just an FYI.

When I walked in he was focused on the female nurse and Cullen whispered…I bet he thinks that is you.

As soon as he heard my voice on his other side he turned towards me and placed his hand over my heart. I asked him if he was confused and he nodded yes.

When the nurse left I asked Cullen, “Oh no! I wonder if he tried putting his hand over that nurses heart!” We both fought so hard to stifle our laughter. And you know what…we needed that brief moment of giggles!

• brenda-denzler

July 26, 2023 at 1:31 pm

That was funny! I hope you shared the confusion with the two nurses so they could get a chuckle, too, in the face of what was clearly a sad and serious situation. 🙂

• V.R. Peterson

July 26, 2023 at 2:18 pm

I love that Brian would put his hand over your heart, @ColleenSteele! I also love that the misunderstanding about the nurse brought a bit of humor into your lives in a trying time. I’m glad you decided to share.

• Colleen

July 27, 2023 at 1:25 pm

Thank you @brendad53 and @mamabear007 for appreciating the humor during a difficult time. I didn’t explain to the nurses but now I wish I did. Got to know several of them well over the 2 weeks Brian was there and I know they would have laughed too!

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2023 at 1:02 pm

Aww, I love this, @colleensteele! That is not dark at all. I think the nurses would have laughed well with you if you shared.

It’s impressive that you and Cullen could find some humor in such a sad and heartbreaking time with Brian. 💜

• Debbie Moore

July 31, 2023 at 9:32 am

Just read all the posts.  Thanks for the laughs!

• Colleen

August 24, 2023 at 11:35 pm

A family friend who just turned 70 took a bad fall and had hip surgery. I chatted with her on the phone today and she said something that made me laugh, but honestly it was such a great response to something most of us have been through.

It was the middle of the night when a nurse came in and woke my sleeping friend. She asked, “What are you doing? I was sleeping!” You know the response…nurse was there to check her vitals.

My friend responded, “I was vitally sleeping!!!”

I love that answer! LOL!

• V.R. Peterson

August 25, 2023 at 2:16 pm

What a brilliant answer, @colleensteele! Thank you for sharing!

• jen-cueva

August 28, 2023 at 1:15 pm

Hehe, @colleensteele. This is funny and relatable for those who have been in the hospital.

Your funny reminds me of when they run in and shake me to wake me up and see if I’m okay. It’s usually when my BP is too low, and they start to worry. However, I have asked them to note in my chart that I have a low BP. Sometimes, they ask me to move around and get on the side of the bed until my BP gets high enough to make them feel better.

I am always like, who’s the patient here? I WAS trying to sleep.