Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Has your healthcare team suggested seeing a dietician or nutritionist?

• Has your healthcare team suggested seeing a dietician or nutritionist?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 18, 2023 at 1:01 pm

Recently, my nephrologist suggested I see a renal dietician after a few rough flares of gout.

With my coexisting illnesses, PH, anemia, etc., it can become overwhelming to stick to the dietary needs of each one. I am also having my most recent labs and finding a balance considering all my health issues.

On our first visit, I learned some new ideas; some I am excited about and others not. I was surprised that she recommended more plant-protein foods. She suggests 2 of 3 meals per day be meatless.

We discussed high-purine foods and those with mild purines that I can occasionally enjoy with gout. Like everything, our bodies react differently, so it’s a trial and error.

Has your healthcare team suggested seeing a dietician or nutritionist? Did you see any improvements with this change in dietary habits?

jen-cueva replied 12 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Aunt Lizzie

April 18, 2023 at 11:58 pm

Hi Jen – Diet.  Now that’s an interesting subject.  It’s a lovely Autumn day here in Aussie-land – Sun’s out, temperature about 23 degrees C.  Just had my 6-monthy echocardiogram and a 6 minute walk – did OK, I think.  Now, as to diet.  In nearly 11 years no-one has ever made any suggestions to me regarding diet, except to eat less salt.  I’ve occasionally broached the subject but it always gets lost in other areas such as medication, tests and exercise etc.   I just look after myself and try to eat right, but of course with your other issues it’s another matter.  Hope you can get some good advice that’s right for you and yummy too.  Cheers!

• jen-cueva

April 19, 2023 at 1:42 pm

Well, hello in Aussie-land, @auntlizzie!It sounds like a beautiful warm day.

Did you not see your PH doctor after your 6 months tests? When will you hear from them? You said you did, “OK , I think.” I wonder what the doctor thinks. Do you go back in 6 months or sooner?

It’s interesting, but I know that happens often; we ask a question about diet, as in your example, and it gets overlooked. It’s all about treatments, tests, exercise, and symptoms.

As long as your diet routine is working, keep at it! The dietician suggested tofu, and I bought some but never used them. It’s just the thought. Have you cooked with tofu? What about anyone else in the forums?

• DeLois Tweedy

May 4, 2023 at 10:05 am

The only thing my doctors/nurses told me was to follow a heart healthy diet and especially decrease sodium intake. At the hospital, they gave me lots of handouts and dietitian/nurses talked to me about it when I was inpatient. Thankfully, I already ate fairly healthily, and did not over do it with salt. I had orders from my cardiologist for Cardiopulmonary Rehab, and there they always had handouts available regarding diet and heart healthy recipies. They usually promote the Mediterranean Diet or the DASH diet. I adhere to these foods and principles very well, and use herbs/spices when cooking so I don’t miss the salt.

Tofu…..well – I have it on my grocery list. I have been wanting Hot Sour soup, and the recipes call for firm tofu. Will let you know how that one turns out!

• jen-cueva

May 4, 2023 at 1:42 pm

Hi @deetweedy, it sounds like you already ate pretty healthy before your PH diagnosis. That’s always great, so you don’t have to restrict yourself so much from what you were familiar with eating.

I’ve found using herbs and lemon can improve taste so much. I also love some lemon juice on my veggies, like broccoli and asparagus. Last night I made Brussels sprouts in the air with lemon juice, garlic, pepper, and onion powder. Manny loves Brussels sprouts; I only eat them roasted or in the air fryer. I eat them shaved in salads, too, raw.

You must return and share how your hot and sour soup turns out. Have you made it before? Make sure you get all of the water out. Let me find the topic where we discussed making soups; you can add it there.

Lets talk about your favorite soups.

• Erik

May 4, 2023 at 5:23 pm

It’s funny how everyone brings up sodium.  My doctor also said to watch the sodium intake.  My sodium levels have always been low.  I told her I watch everything I eat, and I eat more berries then anything, Blueberries, Rasberries, Blackberries.  She then said I needed to account for the liquid they contain.  and not to go over the 2 liters she restricted me to.  I laughed at her and said how do you account for a cup of blueberry’s and the liquid you get from them.

• jen-cueva

May 5, 2023 at 12:19 pm

Hi @erikborn, interesting that your doctor wants you to account for the liquid in berries. I buy multiple types to snack on each week. I also eat berries, except raspberries. I also enjoy cucumbers and watermelon. Now I have to try and limit those because of their high water content.

My sodium level also runs low. It has been so low I’ve been in ICU several times and almost lost consciousness. But they still want me to watch sodium some because of my history of congestive heart failure and fluid retention.

Thanks for sharing your experience and what your doctor suggests for you. When you figure out that total in your berries, let me know- hehe.