Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Fall has arrived- well, for most of you. Here in Texas, it is about 90 degrees and humid. Despite that, it is October, and I love eating soups and pot of beans as the weather cools off.

Actually, I enjoy soups year-round. Manny, my hubby, can do without soups unless it is cooler or rainy.

One of my favorite soups is homemade chicken tortilla soup. I use my instant pot for the chicken and, at times, the soup, too. This recipe is similar to what I make. I use low sodium chicken broth and black beans. I also rinse my canned beans.

I add some veggies to mine sometimes, like carrots, onions, and whatever I ma have extra that I can add. Corn is not my favorite, but I do add that at times, too. I use frozen if I do.

I am sharing this recipe that will start you off. Feel free to add or omit ingredients as your diet and taste requires.

I top mine with slices of diced avocado, pico de gallo, monterey jack cheese (a little, well, a tad more), and tortilla strips. I baked these if I had tortillas. If not using a few lower sodium tortilla chips and crushing them up.

Now, as I typed this, I am craving this soup. But I picked up my grocery order today and did not plan to make this.

Do you have a favorite soup or bean recipe that you adjust for lower sodium restrictions? If so, tell us about it and share a recipe.

Jimi Mcintosh
      Participant

Now, I am really hungry, a good soup and a pot of beans.  I love pinto and reds beans with a juicy ham-hock, carrots, crushed tomatoes, chopped onions and corn bread. It is not on my low sodium diet but dreaming of it is filling. I cook it, watch the family enjoy while sipping my “wish it was meat” vegetable soup

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Hi @jimi, I also enjoy beans when it’s cooler out. I have some baby lima beans to make one day here soon. I use turkey instead of ham and also like to use carrots, onion. I also have had them with ham hocks, much better as far as flavor. But I like extra garlic, so that adds to mine, too.

Oh yes, cornbread goes great with beans and rice. But if we have rice, we do without the cornbread. I do miss it, though, LOL.

I do enjoy vegetable soups and stews, too. My momma always makes the best; mine never tastes as good as hers, LOL

Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

Have you been reading my mind again @jenc? I’ve been craving homemade soup but Brian and the boys aren’t big soup eaters. They like soup but not to the point of really craving a bowl of anything like I often do.

My all time favorite soup is my dad’s homemade chicken noodle soup. I can make it but for some reason it never tastes as wonderful as when my dad makes it.

Brian loves split pea soup and ham…I do not. We all enjoy clam chowder but have never made it homemade. And we all like the old comfort meal of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Chili anyone? That is something we make A LOT during the winter. We make two crock-pots of it at a time because it goes fast in our house. Fun fact…Brian’s very spicy chili is what I craved when pregnant with Aidan. He was born with a full head of blond hair with cowlicks sticking out everyone. The doctor laughed and my husband told him it was because of all the chili I had eaten. LOL!

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

So funny story @colleensteele, as you know, my momma came to visit some today. She wanted to be lunch and asked what I wanted. I told her not much as I had not had much of an appetite.

She shows up with Panera chicken tortilla soup, broccoli cheddar soup, lightly salted crackers, chai lattes, and pumpkin muffins. LOL

Of course, I chose the tortilla soup; we both had that one and. a few crackers. I ate a bite of my muffin and let Manny have it when he came in., What part of not eating much did she miss? Too funny.

Yes, I make chili often when it is cooler. About once or twice per month. Unlike the authentic Texas chili, I do like beans in my chile. I like it hot and add a variety of pinto, kidney, or black beans.

What does Brian add to his spicy chili? Any certain chiles? I usually added serrano and jalapeno but have used habanero a few times.

Your dad’s chicken noodle soup sounds like my mom’s vegetable soup. I now cook more than she does, but still, hers tastes better.

I am no fan of split pea soup but like other peas and beans.

Susi Steppins
      Participant

@jenc the chicken tortilla soup sounds delicious.

I will have to try it soon.

I love soups.

I have confessed here a couple of times that I have trouble with the low sodium recipes and always want to add salt.

Soup is no exception.

@colleensteele
      I just made chili last night and it was delicious.

I must say that I sort of have a little contest against myself to see if I can do better than the last time and I did!

I really love to cook and enjoy making homemade anything.

Now that it has become more difficult for me I try to find short cuts.

But, my daughter bought me a stool that is the perfect height for me to rest on when needed while I am cooking.

I love making green chili as well with a pork roast.

Bring on the cold weather!

I love it.

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Hi @s-steppins, oh, I add a little salt in my soups, but it is often not missed with the extra garlic and any toppings.

Like you, I have a foldable stool that is perfect for my counter height. I can prep and cut with that and not stand so long. I also like to find shortcuts.

I am not one to usually follow a recipe. I constantly tweak it to my likings and taste preferences. I also compete again myself. The only problem with this is I may have forgotten what all I added. That’s usually when Manny likes it the best, LOL.

Cooking has always been something that I enjoy. It’s been less, but I have started trying to cook a bit more lately. We make simple dinners often.

Manny said that I was killing myself in the kitchen, but I enjoyed it. I wanted to try 1-2 new dishes per week when I did pretty well before my COVID bouts and things. So now, a little more each time.

What’s your favorite soup or soups? Or was that the green chile soup? OIs that with chicken or pork when you make it?

There is a Mexican wedding soup; I believe the name. It has baby chicken meatballs, with rice or this tiny pasta, carrots, broth, and I forget what else. It’s been a while since I made that.

I prefer broth-based versus cream-based soups most days. Tomato basil with a grilled cheese dunker is probably my most liked cream-based.

Susi Steppins
      Participant

@jenc, I  just finished dinner and had won ton soup from PFChangs.

I am a big fan of split pea soup, chicken vegetable soup and I make a delicious beef vegetable soup.

The green Chile is made with pork and one of the best things about it is I usually get 3 meals out of it.

Now that it’s just Brad and I leftovers are the norm.

One of the things I often do to thicken soup is add some instant potato flakes. It adds a good flavor while it thickens.

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Hi @s-steppins, I love wonton soup but limit that. I have low sodium, so when this happens, wonton soup, ramen, or pho. Those are all loaded with sodium. My kidney doc reminds me not to drink all of both. That’s the best part; I told him, LOL.

Oh, I would love to hear what you put in your green chile. I am not a huge pork fan. I wonder if I could add chicken instead?

Oh yes, vegetable beef soup is so yummy, too.

Like you, it is just us 2, so leftovers are always available.

I have heard others who add those potato flakes as a thickening agent. Speaking of, what about a potato soup or clam chowder?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account