Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions Have you ever purchased and used a dialysis access sweatshirt?

• Have you ever purchased and used a dialysis access sweatshirt?

Posted by Colleen Steele on April 10, 2024 at 10:22 pm

I noticed an advertisement on a social media platform for a dialysis access sweatshirt. The sweatshirt has a zipper running down the arm, so you can access an IV/port without removing your shirt.

I searched for it on Amazon and found many selections for this type of clothing.

My son has received many infusions of various kinds throughout his PH and post-transplant days. His favorite clothing is hoodies, and I know how much he disliked removing them during his infusion appointments. I’m hoping not, but should he have an IV and port again, I will be purchasing some of these shirts.

Have you ever purchased and used assessable and comfortable dialysis wear? Share your opinion of them and whether you recommend them to others.

jen-cueva replied 1 week, 5 days ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 12, 2024 at 11:46 am

Hi @Colleen, This is an informative topic. Although these are suggested for dialysis patients, they would work with most IVs. I haven’t used these, but I will tell my BIL, too, as with most IVs. Infusion centers are usually so cold, so a comfy sweatshirt is incredible.

Thanks for sharing this topic. I’m hopeful that someone will find this beneficial.

• Colleen Steele

April 12, 2024 at 5:32 pm

@jen-cueva they do specify dialysis but I shared because I think for certain anyone with a pic, IV, broviac could benefit from them too.

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2024 at 1:29 pm

Yes, I agree. The things we now find that we could have been using in the past are frustrating yet hopeful. Frustrating as these items could benefit many, hopeful because maybe those diagnosed later will have more tools to work with.

Thanks for sharing such an incredible sweatshirt option.

• Colleen Steele

April 16, 2024 at 6:46 pm

@jen-cueva I was just thinking about how I don’t recall ever seeing this type of clothing available in hospital gift shops. I think this is something they should be selling instead of certain clothing I often see that a patient won’t be able to wear until they leave the hospital.

• jen-cueva

April 17, 2024 at 8:13 pm

Yes, that’s a great suggestion, @Colleen. I’ve never seen or heard of this at a hospital gift shop. I also recently saw a tanktop advertisement on FB for people with ports. It was initially made for exercise. I don’t recall the name, but I’ll make a note to share when it pops up again.