Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies Have You Worn A Carnation Ambulatory Monitor?

• Have You Worn A Carnation Ambulatory Monitor?

Posted by Colleen on August 30, 2021 at 4:06 pm

It’s not uncommon for PH patients to have the need to wear heart monitors for a week or so to evaluate symptoms. It’s been many years since my son or I have had to wear one, until today.

My cardiologist wants to me to wear a continuous heart monitor for the next 7 days. The nurse asked me if I have worn one before and I said yes. Then she pulls this small device with a face the size of w watch and a thin tail that is an electrode protected in clear and very strong adhesive tape.

I asked her, “What’s that”? I was blown away when she told me it’s my heart monitor. No wires, no multiple electrodes taped to me, no cumbersome box to hook to a belt and no need to call reports in over the phone.

It’s monitoring my heart 24/7 and has a small button to push if I have an event I want them to focus on. You can’t see that I’m wearing it and I keep forgetting that I have it on. It is weightless.

I sure wish they had this when Cullen was in grade school and had to wear them. All the leads would get tangled up in his central line and milrinone wires. This advancement is awesome!

Has anyone else worn one?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 31, 2021 at 10:01 am

Hi @colleensteele, like you, it has been a while since I wore a heart monitor, and mine was with all of those cumbersome wires, too.

Technology has certainly changed fast, now that made me feel old writing, that, hehe.

I have heard of these smaller monitors. I hope that these 7 days will give your cardiologist some much-needed information to offer you some answers. Although, I hope and pray that it is nothing serious.

Thanks for sharing; I wish, like you, they had these smaller and less cumbersome monitors when Cullen needed one. I know for me, with those wires and my oxygen, it was not fun for me—that and the fact that I am clumsy already, hehe.

Please do share when you are done with the 7 days. Do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled yet? Or, will they wait and see based on this monitor?

• Colleen

August 31, 2021 at 1:28 pm

@jenc no follow-up scheduled yet. My doctor wants to review the results first. My blood pressure seems to get higher ever time I see a doctor. I asked if my syncope could be related to that but he said the typed I’m experiencing he sees in low BP issues so he’s more concerned it is my heart. If the monitor doesn’t point to anything concerning I’m going to see my family doctor and ask if I should be on BP meds. I do feel like something is going on and I’m assuming it’s either blood pressure or heart related.

• jen-cueva

September 1, 2021 at 9:21 am

Hi @colleensteele, I hope that you find some answers soon. I am sorry that you are having these syncope episodes. Have you tried taking your BP lying, sitting, and standing to see if that shows any significant drop or rise in your BP?

Maybe you can suggest the cardiologist or PCP do that if nothing shows on the heart monitor.

I am grateful that you made that Cardiologist appointment, with the gentle nudge of Cullen, LOL_ I so love that guy!

I am sending you extra big hugs, positive thoughts, and prayers that you get answers and some relief soon. With all that you have on your plate, I can only begin to imagine the stress you are dealing with. I must say that you carry the weight of the world so eloquently. Please take care of yourself and know that I am here anytime.