Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users How Often Are You Changing Your Oxygen Cannulas?

• How Often Are You Changing Your Oxygen Cannulas?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 22, 2020 at 11:11 am

Often PH patients end up requiring supplemental oxygen from diagnosis or as their disease progresses. I wanted to see how often y’all are changing your nasal cannulas. I often change mine every few weeks. I am not on oxygen 24/7. If so, I would change mine every few days, if not weekly.
    I also tend to change mine if I have enough if I have been sick, even with like a cold.

You can also clean your cannulas if you are running low. I have also cleaned mine with a vinegar and water solution. Have y’all tried cleaning yours?

So, how often are you changing your nasal cannulas? Did you receive any suggestions about this from your doctor or oxygen provider?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Jerry Isenhart

May 29, 2020 at 11:19 am

I learned the hard way – Change them weekly at least. The tips that insert into the nostrils get hard after a period of time and were causing me to have nose bleeds. Once I started changing out my Cannula more frequently, the problem stopped.

• jen-cueva

May 29, 2020 at 11:55 am

Hi @jisenhart, changing them weekly is excellent! Excellent point about the nose bleeds. Are you also using a humidifier bottle? Before I had those, I had more issues with nosebleeds. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Margie Novak

May 29, 2020 at 8:06 pm

Jen, I change mine about twice a week. I order mine on-line so my are a little more flexible Hate those long hard cannulas Also, sometimes the break where the nose part and the tubing part connect I also have an water bottle on my concentrator and through my machine at night. My nose still gets very irritated and I have to use nasal moisturizing spray. Hang in there everyone!!

• Jerry Isenhart

May 29, 2020 at 8:37 pm

The Cannulas that I get when I’m at my doctors office or having an Echo Cardiagram etc are much softer and much more gentle. So I take them home.
    The ones I get from my Durable Equipment Provider ( oxygen tanks etc) are much harder etc. Where do you all order your Cannulas on-line? And what is the part number or ?? So I can be assured I am getting the softer variety?

• Margie Novak

May 30, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Jerry, I use a company called Direct Home Medical. I order the WestMed High Flow ComfortSoft Plus (Super Soft) Nasal Cannula with 4 Foot Green Oxygen Supply Tubing. It did not have an item number. They have a webpage. I hope this helps. They are not that expensive either and delivery is very fast. Take care and best of luck fighting PH!!!

• jen-cueva

May 31, 2020 at 11:41 am

Hi @margie-novak, thanks for sharing your medical supply company. I also know several PHriends who order from eBay and Amazon. I use a mini cannula as my nose is small. The tubing is much smaller, and it works for me. I am sure as you already know, it is all about finding what is comfortable for you.

I can relate to having dry and irritated nostrils. I also use a humidifier bottle and nasal gel, Ayr. They have spray and gel. I prefer the gel. I apply with a Q-tip.

Take care, and thanks for sharing your information with Jerry.

• jen-cueva

May 31, 2020 at 11:46 am

Hi @jisenhart, if you find a nasal cannula that you like. You can ask your medical supplier to order it for you. I use Apria healthcare, and they order the micro-cannulas that I prefer. Good luck. I hope that you find one that works best for you.

• jen-cueva

November 3, 2020 at 11:43 am

I wanted to add to this topic. Lately, any time that I go out to an appointment, etc. I wipe down my bag when I get home. I also change my nasal cannula. I do this as an extra precaution. Have y’all been changing yours more often? Is it only when you leave the house? Let’s talk about this.

• Terese Tuohey

November 3, 2020 at 6:59 pm

Hi, everybody! I found this topic interesting. I just began using oxygen at night to help with my PH about 6 weeks ago. The medical supply folks told me to change the cannula every 2 weeks, and that is what I have been doing. I am not finding any trouble with the type of cannula they provide, but I really appreciate knowing about the other ways to order them and clean them if needed. I haven’t had trouble with nose bleeds, but I find that a little swipe of Vaseline up my nostrils keeps in the moisture and makes it more comfortable. I’ve also found that I sleep better since I started using oxygen at night.

• jen-cueva

November 4, 2020 at 9:58 am

Hi @tervo, thanks for sharing the information from your medical supply company. If I am not leaving the house at home, I will change mine every week or two. But with the pandemic, this is what I was referring to. Once I get home, I trash that cannula in the trash. I have not been too much, but I think this helps. When I do not have enough extra cannulas, I wipe it down or soak in a vinegar-water mixture.

My medical supply tells me to change mine weekly. But whatever works for you.

Be careful using vasoline in your nostrils. It is petroleum-based. Check this information out about that. They do make a gel and spray called AYR that is safe to use with oxygen. Here is the link to Amazon showing the AYR. You can also find it at your local Walgreens, Walmart, etc.

• Terese Tuohey

November 4, 2020 at 11:00 am

Thanks for letting me know about Vasoline. I had no idea. I will check out the AYR at my local CVS.

• jen-cueva

November 4, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Hi @tervo, my pleasure. We all learn from each other. That is why this forum is the best place to be. Let me know if you try the AYR. They offer gel and spray, I believe. I prefer the gel.

Do you also use a humidifier bottle on your concentrator for some added moisture?

• Terese Tuohey

November 4, 2020 at 2:45 pm

My oxygen machine didn’t come with a humidifie bottle, but my doctor can order it if I need it. So far, I haven’t had a problem, given our whole-house humidifier. I have found 2 places near me that sell AYR. I’ll be getting some this week for sure. Thanks again!

• jen-cueva

November 5, 2020 at 10:38 am

Sounds great, @tervo. I am happy to help. Let us know what you think after you try AYR. Having a whole-house humidifier, that probably does help. But if you tend to notice your nose drier, certainly ask the oxygen company for the humidifier bottles. They should fit on your home concentrator.

I look forward to learning more about your PH journey.