Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Let’s share what we are thankful for about our bodies

• Let’s share what we are thankful for about our bodies

Posted by brittany-foster on November 22, 2019 at 12:43 pm

In my latest column for Recharged and Rewired, I wrote about trying to remain thankful for my body even though it is hard to find the “good” some days.

I wrote,
    “I see a body that is so different from the one I had five years ago. I see a chest and a torso covered in scars from drainage tubes, open-heart surgeries, and countless other surgical procedures. My once bright eyes are tired and fatigued. My oxygen and feeding tubes feel foreign on my skin.

It’s easy for me to pick myself apart and think about what I wish I could change. But wishing that things were different won’t change my situation. It won’t erase my scars or the tubes I wish weren’t coming out of my body. Instead of looking at myself and wishing it all away, I am choosing to practice giving thanks, especially this month.”

What are you thankful for that your body does for you? Share with us here!

Colleen replied 4 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Colleen

November 22, 2019 at 6:09 pm

First of all – great column Brittany!

When my son had PH and even now, post-transplant, when I check-in on him when he is sleeping I am thankful to see his chest move with each breath. It’s as simple as that. I am thankful for each breath that he takes!

• brittany-foster

November 25, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Colleen,
      something so simple to others really is such a HUGE thing for those of us with this condition and the caregivers and loved ones that care so much about us. I am really thankful for my support system through all of this because without it, I don’t know where I would find the strength to keep pushing forward!

• randolph-reynolds

November 25, 2019 at 11:01 am

Thank-you Brittany

This is a tough time of year for me. My wife and caregiver will be involved with numerous musical activities and so I am on my own at home. Very depressing. Giving thanks for my site pain and Remodulin side effects is hard to do but in Scripture it says in all circumstances give thanks. I am amazed how positive you have been over all you have gone through. Bless you this season.

Randy

• brittany-foster

November 25, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Randy,
      Many blessings and well wishes being sent to you this season too! I know that it is harder for depression and anxiety for me when I am alone. Luckily I have found a lot to keep me busy during the day which includes the support that I get from this forum and talking with all of you. Wishing you lots of happiness !

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 26, 2019 at 1:01 pm

I am actually very thankful that my hair is growing back and it’s healthy and full! Silly I guess but I hate wearing wigs and I love to style my own hair. I am also thankful that I am feeling better and eating real food again! So I am a lot better then I was last year at this time. It’s hard when your sick to give thanks. But I have learned to push through the bad days to get to the good! I hope everyone stays healthy, and has a wonderful holiday.

• brittany-foster

November 26, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Shannon,
      That is definitely something to be thankful for. I have taken my hair for granted and didn’t realize the effects of poor nutrition on hair growth and regrowth until I experienced a lot of weight loss and malnutition last year before my open heart surgery this May. I have been using products for hair regrowth because I have also lost a lot of what I had at one time. I hope you have the best holiday this coming week and are able to enjoy it knowing that you are in a better place than you were!

• Colleen

November 26, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Shannon, that is not silly at all! I know you have had a tough go of it over the past several months but despite all that, it sounds like you are trying to stay positive. I believe maintaining a feeling of hope and thanksgiving to go along way when dealing the ups and downs of PH.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

• v-r-peterson

November 26, 2019 at 1:03 pm

I’m grateful for my son’s surgical chest scar, without which, he would no longer be here.

• brittany-foster

November 26, 2019 at 1:14 pm

I definitely can relate to this feeling of gratitude for our scars! I am grateful for mine at the end of the day, even though the one that is new is sometimes painful (emotionally) to look at because I remember all I have been through but I am also grateful for overcoming it ! Thank you for sharing this .

• Colleen

November 26, 2019 at 7:33 pm

Amen to that @mamabear007! I’m right there with you! Scars can actually be a “beautiful” reminder of what we should be thankful for! Happy Thanksgiving!