Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Teens and Young Adults Managing Dizziness When Living With Pulmonary Hypertension

• Managing Dizziness When Living With Pulmonary Hypertension

Posted by Pulmonary Hypertension News Moderator on April 13, 2018 at 9:09 am

In this column, Pulmonary Hypertension News patient and writer, Brittany Foster, talks about the dizziness that she has to live with as a result of the disease:

“Think back to what it was like riding a carousel when you were young. I’m sure you raced for the best horse, and you wanted to be the first one buckled. When the carousel started, it may have been moving more slowly than expected. Maybe you were like me and thought, ‘Get me off of this thing!’

“Maybe it went faster than expected, and it was fun until you tried walking away afterward. Imagine getting off of a fast carousel ride. How would you feel immediately after? Now think about this being a feeling you must manage every day. That is my reality, along with many others with pulmonary hypertension.

“Those who are living with pulmonary hypertension can relate to the feelings of dizziness that seem similar to getting off a carousel. One of the most difficult symptoms of managing a life with pulmonary hypertension and other chronic illnesses is the feeling of being lightheaded and dizzy on a regular basis. This symptom leads to drowsiness, feeling off-balance, and sometimes episodes of fainting spells. The reality is that our carousel doesn’t stop turning.

“Dizziness and lightheadedness are conditions I have personally managed since I was in elementary school. Initially, doctors thought this was a vestibular condition.”

Read what else Brittany has to say about dizziness here: “Managing Dizziness: Our Carousel Doesn’t Stop Turning

Do you struggle with dizziness? Share your experience below.

Pulmonary Hypertension News Moderator replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.