Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges ​Dating and Relationships What Are Some Good Date Night or "Night Out" Ideas?

• What Are Some Good Date Night or "Night Out" Ideas?

Posted by Brittany Foster on March 19, 2019 at 10:56 am

With chronic illness, sometimes it can feel hard to do the things that everyone else is doing. Lately, with the placement of my PEG tube, I haven’t been able to participate in many social events around eating and drinking and a lot of my social life included that!

I have been thinking of fun “night out” and date night ideas to still have fun while waiting on an upcoming surgery. Many of us might be limited on what we can and can’t do due to oxygen requirements and physical activity limitations. I’d be interested in hearing what some of your ideas are!

I am still active and able to take my oxygen with me to places where I’m doing a lot of walking. Going to an aquarium, bowling (if I have the energy for it), and going to the movies are things I enjoy doing and are good night out ideas but I need more ideas!

What are some of your suggestions for a fun night out that doesn’t include eating or drinking? Where are places you enjoyed going that don’t necessarily require a lot of physical activity?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathleen Sheffer

March 22, 2019 at 10:26 am

I love game nights because I’m a huge board game nerd. Luckily, a lot of my friends are, too. However, if you don’t want to get deep into German board games, there are lots of fun group games that are more approachable. Cards Against Humanity is a crowd-pleaser, and I’ve noticed a lot of related games coming out since that success. You might check out Exploding Kittens or Codenames if you’re willing to get a bit nerdier (it’s a Czech game, not German). While I waited for my transplant I had friends come over to play games with me at home so I could spend most of the time sitting, but they could eat and drink as we played. One day my friends drove over an hour from San Francisco to my parents’ house in wine country and took me to a tasting room where we played cards while they drank wine!

Kathleen and friends at a winery pre-transplant

• Brittany Foster

March 22, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Thanks so much Kathleen,
      That’s an awesome idea. Yea, I get that my friends and stuff want to drink so it would be cool to do something more laid back like go to a place that has board games or do a game night and they can drink/ eat and do whatever while I can still enjoy it. I HATE going to bars just to go and then I’m always thinking to myself “what the heck am I doing here?” It’s fun when there is a band or something to listen to but when it’s just a bunch of drunk friends I’m like ehhhhh gonna pass on that lol! Makes me realize how dumb I actually probably look when I’m drinking . being the only sober one in the room makes me question many of my drunk choices hahahaha.