• Vanessa Vaile

October 29, 2018 at 9:15 pm
  • Jimi Mcintosh

October 30, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I consume beets and occasionally drink the juice. I would love to see a longer study, before raiding the grocery store. My grandfather lived to be 102, he was doing something that I failed to
    Make note of

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Hey Jimi,
      I had aunts in my family that lived to be almost 100. They had such natural and old remedies for things that actually worked. When they were alive it was as if everything could be cured with some homemade soup and hot tea! Wish I got some advice from them while they were still here.

• Anthony Collins

October 30, 2018 at 4:28 pm

I am speaking from long personal experience of the beneficial effects of beetroot. It is also past personal experience because there can be a most undesirable downside to consuming it. The oxalates in beetroot can promote kidney stone formation. That alone calls for moderation. The risk could be heightened in any PAH patients who might already have renal dysfunction or who might be on prescription medications that also have a tendency to cause kidney stones.

• Brittany Foster

October 30, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Good point Anthony! I have a history of kidney conditions like reflux of the kidneys and have had lots of bladder issues throughout my life. I need to be closely monitored with the lasix I take and I wonder if it would make someone more at risk for kidney complications if they were on medications similar to lasix?

• Kathleen Sheffer

November 14, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Eeek! Thank you for bringing up this potential adverse effect.

• Kaye Norlin

November 14, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Hi All,
    there is always an abundance of Beet juice in my house. My husband runs and drinks it everyday. I drink it too and I love to eat beets! We get our Superbeets from Humann online. if you try them, get a good supply since a lot of these products questionably regulated. You can also drink beetroot soup or juice- available in most larger chain stores or at health food stores. I did drink beet juice regularly when I had PH since I had no measurable Nitric Oxide in my body at one point (when I crashed). After that I think I was too far gone for it to make a lot of difference but I still drank it, cooked with it, etc. I am still here since I hung on long enough to get my transplant.
    I use beetroot powder for making my own corn beef- for a little color and I don’t use salt. I also use it instead pf red dye in red velvet cake, frosting, etc.

• Kathleen Sheffer

November 14, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Thanks for your tips on where to get beets and different ways to incorporate it into a diet!

• Brittany Foster

November 15, 2018 at 5:26 am

Hi Kaye!
      Thanks for all the tips! I would have never thought about incorporating it into these recipes for extra color. It’s like a creative way to add something healthy in! My mom loves beets. I always have a problem with eating them because the way they look doesn’t go along with the flavor lol! But mixing them into something else or even blending them into a smoothie might be really good! Have you ever made smoothies with it? Any good combination of things in one that I should try ?

• V.R. Peterson

November 15, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Please be careful if you’re on Warfarin. While there is definitely more Vitamin K in the greens, there is also some in the root. While this doesn’t preclude eating beets, you may need to adjust your dosage if you’re on an anticoagulant that works by inhibiting Vitamin K.

• Brittany Foster

November 15, 2018 at 1:24 pm

Good point about this ! There are definitely medications that limit what we are able to eat and what they interact with or react poorly to. I remember if I ate anything gralefruit with a particular medication I was on it immediately upset my stomach! I would recommend people to check their medications and even ask a pharmacist what to avoid for food with certain medications!

• Kathleen Sheffer

November 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm

I didn’t even think of that! @mamabear007 I didn’t know beets had vitamin K.

Update: If you want to try this supplement, be sure to do so with regularity and have your INR checked soon after you start it.

• Vanessa Vaile

November 20, 2018 at 1:29 pm

Don’t forget borscht — great hot or cold. Medications classified nitrates are counter-indicated for tadalfil. I asked my PH team if that includes natural nitrate sources like beets (a good question they said) but haven’t gotten an answer yet.

• Brittany Foster

November 20, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Vanessa,
      I wish they were able to give you some explanation. I’d be interested in the science behind it. I hope you continue to take care of yourself how you have been. You give me lots of encouragement and strength.

• Vanessa Vaile

December 8, 2018 at 11:11 am

@brittany-foster, I asked my PH Team on one of their calls (they take turns calling to monitor since I’m an outpatient a 2 1/2 hour drive away from the PH Center). The PH Nurse Practitioner said that was a good question and she’d check. I haven’t heard back, so it may have fallen between the cracks. I started eating beets (which I’ve always liked) anyway with no reactions.

• Brittany Foster

December 10, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Vanessa,
        Keep us updated. I hope they get back to you. I always wish I had more direct contact with my doctors (vs always going through their secretary and just waiting for a call back!) That can be such a hassle !

• Stephannie Baker

December 7, 2018 at 2:12 am

wow, seems very interesting. I mostly leave out beetroot cause I never liked it as a child either but now that you have mentioned it. I would like to

• Brittany Foster

December 7, 2018 at 11:20 am

Stephannie,
      let us know what you think and how you incorporate it into your diet ! I’d love to hear more about it if you’re just starting to try this.

• Kaye Norlin

January 8, 2019 at 1:40 am

I have been out of touch for a while but I can give you some recipes if you like. I also fix Harvard beets for me since family won’t eat them; they are sweet and delicious. I have had beet burgers and used them in smoothies. let me know if you want some recipes.

• Brittany Foster

January 8, 2019 at 6:48 pm

Kaye,
      The beet burgers sound fabulous ! Could you link the recipe for that? I also like to do smoothies. Are the frozen when you blend them up? Would love to know more!