• PH and Depression

Posted by kathleen-sheffer on February 23, 2018 at 9:18 pm

According to a study detailed here, 30 percent of pulmonary hypertension patients experience depression or anxiety. The results highlighted the importance of assessing PAH patients’ mental health and providing them with specialized psychological support.

I share the details of my own battle with depression and anxiety in this article. Recognizing my mental health was as crucial as my physical health was a step toward taking greater control over my condition. Being open and honest about it has strengthened my support system.

Do you or your loved one experience depression? How do you address it?

kathleen-sheffer replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • randolph-reynolds

March 31, 2018 at 6:05 pm

I developed chronic depression before I was diagnosed with CTEPH but it may have coincided with prostate surgery that triggered the depression that now seems to be more anxiety about my pulmonary hypertension. This anxiety is very difficult to combat. I have reached a point where I use some tranquilizers to help me sleep. My medication is Adempas and it has keep me going but it would be better if I didn’t live at 5,000 feet. Since most people I know don’t understand my physical situation it is difficult to describe my it to them. I have been as active as I can so most people think all is well. The psychologists I’ve seen haven’t been able root this out so I am open to suggestions on living and accepting my condition. Thanks

• margie-novak

April 2, 2018 at 7:36 pm

My pulmonary hypertension has brought on depression. Just this past week-end when my sister was visiting with my two nieces I had a “pity party” for myself. I get depressed thinking about things that I should be able to do with my nieces/nephews and family. I am on oxygen 24/7 so I am very limited in what I can do. Sometimes just helping prepare dinner can be a challenge for me. I take Zoloft for my depression and think that I am with my family to still provide conversation and laughter and just be there. Also, I have a very strong Catholic faith that helps me. I never used to go out much with the oxygen but now I say “forget it”. I just get out with my sister (who is my caretaker) and do small things. I just try to stay positive and think that there are others who are worse off than me. Anyone who has ph and reads this, hang in there! Trust me every day you provide something to the world!!

• kathleen-sheffer

April 7, 2018 at 10:01 am

Thank you for sharing, Randolph and Margie. It helps knowing others are experiencing the same feelings, and certainly helps me to talk about them.