Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Roasted Vegetables Sheet Pan Recipe

• Roasted Vegetables Sheet Pan Recipe

Posted by kathleen-sheffer on August 11, 2019 at 7:36 pm

Next week my column post will be about cooking with PH, and I want to share one of my favorite simple sheet pan recipes with you. I love sheet pan recipes because they create very few dirty dishes. When I had PH, I rarely had energy to wash dishes after cooking a meal.

I honestly have never typed this out or decided quantities so don’t bother following the recipe literally. 7 Brussels sprouts is as random as it sounds. You can eyeball it, leave ingredients out, or add them in. I always make too much and the leftovers are delicious. This just gives you an idea of which veggies I like to roast together.

Ingredients

1 yellow onion, diced
    8 whole garlic cloves, peeled (or as many cloves as possible, if you’re me)
    2 bell peppers, chopped
    4 small Yukon gold potatoes, diced (can be substituted with other potato varieties and/or yams)
    1 zucchini, cut into ¼-inch rounds
    3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch rounds
    7 Brussels sprouts, halved
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 cooked sausages, halved

Add more sausage as desired. I typically roast two flavors (i.e. mild Italian sausage and some kind of super spicy sausage). If you prefer to go vegetarian, you might fry an egg for protein and serve it over the roasted vegetables.)

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400º F.
    Spread ingredients evenly in sheet pan. Coat with olive oil and stir.
    Roast for 30 minutes, stirring midway. Add oil as needed.
    Cook until vegetables are tender and sausages are beginning to brown.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.

Let me know if you try this, or have another sheet pan recipe to share!

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • kathleen-sheffer

August 11, 2019 at 7:45 pm

@brittany-foster or @colleensteele can you edit my post and add this image using the url? I can’t edit my original post now.

Roasted vegetables and sausage

• kathleen-sheffer

August 11, 2019 at 7:46 pm

This is a bad iPhone photo from 2014 because I haven’t photographed this recipe since! Oops!

• Colleen

August 12, 2019 at 2:26 pm

I added the picture to your post @kathleen-sheffer. Thanks for the recipe!

• jen-cueva

August 12, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing, Kathleen! I love sheet pan meals and am glad that you are writing some again. Have you tried using chicken sausages?

BTW, love it, as I always say, a little this and a little of that. My daughter(an RD) is making(attempting) I start a habit of measuring some of my ingredients. Let’s just say, I am still not as keen on that. That is just extra dishes to wash, LOL. I count my grape tomatoes, etc..

• Colleen

August 12, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Oh, this sounds really tasty Kathleen! Cullen likes to cook and try new recipes so I will share this with him! Looking forward to reading your next column.

• brittany-foster

August 12, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Love it!! I also really love to cook and bake but I cannot stand the thought of cleaning my mess after. I have always loved cooking because it is really relaxing for me and is something that I feel like I have control over . I always liked to know what ingredients went in my food especially when I had to watch my salt, lower my fat intake at one point etc. I really like recipes like this where you can just cook everything together! So simple and super delicious too!

• jen-cueva

August 14, 2019 at 5:04 pm

Exactly Brittany, the dishes are not the best part of cooking, LOL.

Thankfully my hubby likes ( well maybe he helps, not exactly likes) washing the dishes afterward.

@colleensteele, that is great that Cullen likes to cook. Was this always or something new that he has started?

• Colleen

August 21, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Jen, when my son was diagnosed with PH and a co-existing heart condition, he had to give up sports. To help lift his spirits we encouraged him to try new hobbies. His dad likes to cook so he would ask Cullen to be his sous chef sometimes and he always enjoyed helping. He doesn’t cook as often as he use to but every now and then he will feel inspired to make something.

I’ve seen commercials for Imperfect Produce but haven’t tried it. You will have to let us know what your experience is like with them.

• brittany-foster

August 22, 2019 at 9:46 am

Always good to encourage new hobbies especially when there is a loss from what we were able to do before. That was a great idea! Cooking allows me to feel like I’m doing “something ” even when it’s hard for me to be active it’s still something that just gives me that feeling of being active without all the sweat and extra energy spent on sports. I love baking too. Do you guys do any baking? What do you prefer?

• jen-cueva

August 22, 2019 at 11:11 am

Hi Colleen, I am glad that Cullen was able to explore new hobbies. It sounds like your hubby is the main cook at home, is he? Do you enjoy cooking /baking? I know some women and men do not care for it.

I have not yet received my Imperfect Produce delivery but I will share when I do and maybe what I use the various fruits and veggies in.

I do enjoy baking, @brittany-foster, but I suck at it, I think, LOL- I prefer other cooking and experimenting with new things. I just found out that my hubby told his new PCP that his wife, “ Emeril Lagasse “creates healthy meals for him most days, LOL _ I thought that was funny.

What are your favorite items to bake? I love brownies, cookies, muffins, well pretty much most baked goods, Hehe

• Colleen

August 27, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Hey Jen,
        I read on FB that you received your first Imperfect Produce. How do you like it? May I ask, is the price reasonable?

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Hi Colleen, yes, I think the cost is reasonable. I just get the small mixed box, as it’s just myself and my hubby. You can swap out things you didn’t like and you can skip weeks, too. There is no contract, you can cancel anytime.

I’ve enjoyed the first box, the yummy plums are my favorite this week. I also enjoyed reading how just one box helps reduce food waste. It’s quite interesting.

If you click the link in my comment a little further down it should take you to the website. My box is anywhere from $12-$20. (I usually buy a lot of produce, so we use it.) If you can’t, I can send you the link via message. Let me know.

• brittany-foster

August 28, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Jen,
        This sounds like something I would be interested in too. I feel like when I go to the market and do a big shopping trip, SO MUCH of it goes to waste that I just either forget about or put to the side and never use, especially the fruits and vegetables because they are more easy to just store in the fridge and forget about! I’m sure it must end up saving some money in the long run if a lot of what I’m buying is actually not even being used in the first place.

• jen-cueva

August 28, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Brittany and @colleensteel, if you click the link I shared, it should give you a discount for the first week.

I’ll share it here
        again, in case.

@brittany-foster, I think you need an Instant Pot for your new place, too! 😄

• v-r-peterson

August 13, 2019 at 9:57 am

Oh that looks yummy! Thank you for the recipe, Kathleen!

• beverly

August 16, 2019 at 12:41 am

That sounds great, I have never added sausage before! I have guests tomorrow sounds like a great idea!

• kathleen-sheffer

August 20, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Thanks everyone! You can read the full post here.

• jen-cueva

August 21, 2019 at 10:11 am

I loved that column @kathleen-sheffer! I love to cook and use several of the same tips that you suggest. I do love sheet pan meals, such as easy clean-up!

I just recently signed up with Imperfect Produce, tomorrow is my first delivery. I am so excited as I will receive a variety of fresh fruits and veggies. Have you heard of them? I think that they started in the SF area.Their mission is to cut food waste. I just found out that they delivered to my area.

You know, my mom and grandma taught me to cook as a young girl. It is sad that I hear of some many women today who do not cook and have no interest. I guess that is why I enjoy cooking, when my “spoons” allow me. I love food and want healthier ( most of the time, hehe) foods.

I am glad that you are writing again. Is this something you will continue? If so, I look forward to your future columns.

• brittany-foster

August 21, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Jen,
        I love cooking too! Mostly the more simple meals hahaha! My boyfriend does more complex things when he makes food and he is really good at it. He is half Italian half Portuguese and his mom ALWAYS has food around the house and his dad is a really good cook too so I know he gets it from the both of them. But usually I do the grocery shopping. Lately I haven’t been able to make much so when I do I just enjoy being able to DO IT and it makes me feel accomplished haha! I like being able to have dinner ready. Just gets me to feel more “normal”. I’m sure you get it.

• jen-cueva

August 22, 2019 at 11:02 am

Brittany, it sounds like you are surrounded with tasty food. I would be in discomfort with all of that yummy food near me, LOL

I hope that soon , you will be able to enjoy more of the delicious food surrounding you. That must be difficult for you.

My hubby enjoys cooking but mainly on the grill, unless he is in his “ cooking mood”. LOL, But, as you mention I enjoy cooking and I do get it. I definitely feel like I’m more accomplished when I do cook. I am just grateful that he likes to clean the dishes and my messes up, LOL

• brittany-foster

August 22, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Jen,
        It’s definitely hard to be surrounded by so much temptation. I used to take a lot for granted with what I allowed myself to eat and now I wish I made better choices and enjoyed more when I had the chance. But, can’t go back in time, only forward ! That’s awesome that your hubby cleans up after cooking and does the dishes. That’s always a huge help and a good thing to come home to or have done for you after a long day. The “little things” like that really add up.

• jen-cueva

August 23, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Yeah, Brittany, I definitely appreciate the simple little things.

I am certain you are enticed around that food. Be gentle with yourself! It’s not your fault that you have these GI issues. We definitely cannot go back and change things, it’s best not to stress over that.

I hope that as you heal some more, you can enjoy more food,

• Colleen

August 21, 2019 at 7:56 pm

@kathleen-sheffer we just read and enjoyed your recent column. Brian commented that you forgot to mention sous vide cooking, lol! Great topic choice! Thanks for sharing.

• jen-cueva

August 22, 2019 at 11:05 am

Colleen, I have not used sous vide except at a cooking class my hubby and I went to a year or two ago. It was amazing!

My daughter has something that works with her Instant Pot that she uses and it is like sous vide. I have not seen it or “played” with it , yet! I love kitchen gadgets, LOL

• brittany-foster

August 22, 2019 at 2:44 pm

I heard the instant pot it great! Even better than the crock pot because it is supposedly faster! That’s what I like 🙂 I will have to look into getting one. It makes preparing meals and making meals a lot easier especially when you can throw things in ziploc bags ahead of time and then put it all in there and just “dump it” and wait ! Easy !

• jen-cueva

August 23, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Oh, Brittany, the Instant Pot is definitely my friend. I currently have a chicken grain and veggie soup cooking in mine. I love it! I definitely recommend one, especially for soups, beans, and a ton of other stuff.

• Colleen

August 22, 2019 at 1:50 pm

Jen, yes, my husband is the cook in our family. I’m the food shopper and lawn mower, kind of backwards from the responsibilities in other families. I don’t mind cooking and I have a few meals that my boys will ask me to make because they really enjoy them. The difference between us is that I am a follow a recipe to the T type of cook and my husband is a creative cook. He can take whatever we have in the fridge and cabinets and make a delicious meal out of the items without a recipe. I can’t do that, lol!

My son loves steak and other meats but post transplant he could no longer eat it rare or medium rare, which is how it prefers it. My husband discovered sous vide. It cooks the meat to safety regulations for my son and it’s cooked to the perfection that he enjoys.

I was teasing Kathleen about it because she became interested in sous vide too and my husband gave her one. It takes some trial and error to use but once you get the hang of it, it’s worth the effort.

• jen-cueva

August 23, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Colleen, it sounds like you and your hubby make it work. I think that whatever works for each family is important. My sisters do not cook, their hubby’s cook mostly. So, out of us 3 girls, I’m the cook. I cook more like your hubby but starting to measure more within the last few years.

We made a pork tenderloin at our cooking class in the sous vide. I’m not a fan of pork, but it was amazing. I’m sure it’s trial and error. @kathleen-sheffer, have you used it much?

• Colleen

August 28, 2019 at 11:56 am

Thanks Jen! I’m going to discuss with my husband about giving this a try. We go through a lot of fruits and vegetables in our house. It sounds like it might be worth it.

• jen-cueva

August 28, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Yes, definitely let me know if you do and what you think. It’s especially helpful for those like your family and our house. We love fresh fruits and vegetables. I’m hoping that the seasons will spotlight certain fruits and vegetables.

• brittany-foster

August 28, 2019 at 4:36 pm

That would be awesome thank you again for the link to it ! I always wanted to do a meal shipment because it helps to avoid the grocery store and even if it is just for a couple meals a day, my boyfriend is really the only one that eats in my house anyways and I take a few bites of things here and there and then use my tube the rest of the time but I certainly wouldn’t even finish my half of the meal so it would be good for him for leftovers for work the next day or something without always making things in such bulk and then either having the same thing 3 nights in a row or having it just go to waste and getting thrown out. I hate throwing out tons of food. I am from an all Italian side of the family and we would NEVER be caught leaving the table without finishing our food haha!