Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Songs that Help You Through Difficulty

• Songs that Help You Through Difficulty

Posted by Brittany Foster on July 16, 2019 at 9:42 am

I feel like we have talked about this before, but something that has always helped me relax and get through hard times is music. I feel like there are songs that I can really relate to when I am going through an emotionally difficult time. I usually want to listen to inspiring songs when I am emotionally feeling anxious or upset. Some great singers that I would suggest for these types of emotions are Kesha, Adele, and Sia.

I could listen to Sia and her songs all day. They all have a great message and you can feel the emotions in her voice when she sings. Her greatest songs on my playlist are the songs “Alive” and “Bird Set Free”. I would highly suggest these and let me know what you think.

Do you have favorite songs for when you are feeling emotionally or physically overwhelmed? Do you prefer soft music or music that is more uplifting and inspiring?

Colleen replied 4 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Kimberly

July 17, 2019 at 11:15 am

I have a few favorites that put me at ease;
    1. Crowder – I am, Forgiven, Come as you are, really anything by Crowder;
    2. Francesca Battistelli – The Breakup Song, highly recommend you listen to this one;
    3. Lauren Daigle – You Say, Look up Child.

Hope you listen and enjoy them.

• Brittany Foster

July 17, 2019 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for the recommendations Kimberly !! I will have to check these songs out. I love good music and new music that I never heard before.

• Colleen

July 17, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Music is so important to both myself and my son. We always have the radio on, especially on our way to and from appointments. It helps relax us. I’m always keeping an ear out for a song that relates to what my son is going through because on the anniversary of his transplant every year I make a video and add music. If you ever want to see the video’s and hear the songs we selected just let me know and I can send you the links.

• Brittany Foster

July 17, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Colleen,
      that sounds so great that you do this as a reflection of how far he has come and I’m sure he really appreciates it! Does he help you in putting the video together or is this something that you do on your own to surprise him with? I love making videos with collections of pictures and songs and there are so many great apps to use to do this, even if you’re not super tech savvy (I’m definitely not tech savvy when it comes to this !) I would really love to see them! Send them my way to take a look at 🙂

• V.R. Peterson

July 17, 2019 at 2:08 pm

While my son was so sick and I didn’t know what the future held for him, I changed his ringtone on my phone to “Eye of a Tiger” to remind me what a Phighter he is. The entire song is about a man who keeps getting up, no matter how many times life knocks him down, and it gave me hope for him. This may not answer your exact question, but this song brings peace to me because my son fought and is winning, day by day.

• Brittany Foster

July 17, 2019 at 4:51 pm

I love that song ! It is a good song that reminds you to keep going even in difficult times. A song that always did that for me when I was younger was the song by Kelly Clarkson “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” or
      “fighter” by Christina Aguilera. I actually did a project in my acting class in college where we had to act out a verb and people had to guess what the verb was. We had to do it through music and without talking during it. My verb was “fight”

• Michael

July 18, 2019 at 9:33 am

Brittany,

When I feel down, challenged or otherwise blue, I go for hard driving rock like the Foo Fighters
    (All My Life, Pretender, Rope) or Red Hot Chili Peppers or Old School Led Zeppelin (Over the Hills and Far Away, Going to California). My neighbors probably think I’m crazy as I sing these loud while mowing the lawn! Lol

• Brittany Foster

July 18, 2019 at 5:06 pm

haha! Michael, I love that you sing along to rock music when you are having a stressful time! I’m sure that helps a lot and especially would help while doing something productive too like mowing the lawn. Even if your neighbors think you’re crazy, it’s better to let it out than keeping it held inside ! My dad always goes outside and mows the lawn to de-stress! Hopefully you have one of those ride on mowers ! Those are fun too!

• Candace Borden

July 18, 2019 at 10:15 am

Music is important! My go to for feel good music is The Beatles or New Grass Revival!! For inspiration Carrie Underwood’s How Great Thou Art, Live Like You Were Dying, Tim McGraw. Music soothes the soul!

• Brittany Foster

July 18, 2019 at 5:11 pm

Candace,
      I love your suggestions too! I absolutely LOVE Carrie Underwood and my cardiologist has actually been trying to get me to meet her when she comes to Boston! That is my absolute dream. I have been to 3 of her concerts and cried tears of joy every single time. Her music is great and country music I love too because there is a feeling for everything and such inspirational lyrics. I know not everyone is a country fan, but I definitely love my country music, especially when driving to appointments and just getting my mind off things.

• Colleen

July 18, 2019 at 2:01 pm

@brittany-foster, the response you have received on this topic is an example of how much music influences and touches the hearts of so many. Thank you everyone for sharing some of your favorite songs! I’m keeping a list and checking them all out!

My son is an old soul and loves 80’s music and even a mixture of songs from older generations than that. This is the list of songs that I have used in 4 of his transplant anniversary video’s that we love. The list could go on and on though! Brittany, I surprise him with the video every year.

3 Doors Down – Kryptonite
    The Script – Superheroes
    American Authors – Best Day Of My Life
    Daughtry – Home
    Bob Marley – Everything’s Gonna Be Alright
    Andy Grammar – Good To Be Alive (Hallelujah)
    Bon Jovi – It’s My Life
    Pink Floyd- Learning to Fly
    Five for Fighting – Superman (It’s Not Easy)
    Green Day – Still Breathing
    Jason Mraz – Have It All

• Brittany Foster

July 18, 2019 at 5:13 pm

Colleen,
      I really suggest that you listen to the song “Alive” by Sia if you haven’t heard it already. It gives me the chills every time I hear it. I love the song list that you have and the ones that you used in the videos. I am a huge Daughtry fan and also LOVE the song “Superman” and the Daughtry “Waiting for Superman” . Have you ever heard his “Fast Car” version with Kelly Clarkson? One of my favorite duos

• Colleen

July 19, 2019 at 4:41 pm

Thank you Brittany! I had never heard the song “Alive” but just listened to it! Wow, talk about the chills! I never heard the Daughtry and Kelly Clarkson version of “Fast Car” either, I will have to get my son to listen to it. Both of us love Daughtry and hope to make it to a concert sometime. My son not so much but personally, there isn’t a Kelly Clarkson song that doesn’t touch me personally. She is one of my favorite artists.

I messaged you the transplant anniversary video’s that you can fast forward through sometime if you feel like it. I things went well for you this week and that you have a nice weekend!