Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Staying in Touch With Friends and Family During Lockdown

• Staying in Touch With Friends and Family During Lockdown

Posted by Colleen on March 16, 2020 at 4:06 pm

As you can see, we now have a new sub-forum to share and discuss topics regarding the Coronavirus.

Let’s begin with how are we all doing with staying in touch with family and friends? I’ve been touched by how many have reached out to me if not by phone or text, then through social media. I want to believe that more people than not understand the concern this virus brings, especially for those with compromised immune systems.

I’ve been reaching out a lot to my elderly parents who live on the other side of the country from me where they are experiencing their first confirmed cases. I keep checking to make sure they are following necessary precautions.

What I think is important though is not to just call loved ones to check on their COVID-19 status but to also find things to laugh and feel good about. Discuss your concerns but also share some happy conversation.

How are you staying in touch with family and friends and what direction are the conversations taking?

Colleen replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • brittany-foster

March 17, 2020 at 1:03 pm

Hi Colleen,

Honestly this is one of those times where I want to thank the world of social media, computers, and brilliant technology for keeping us all connected during times like this. As much as people can say negative things about social media, for some it is now our outlet of communication outside of the comforts of our own home. I certainly am the type of person that NEEDS to communicate with others during the day. Whether that’s getting on a public forum like this, Facebook groups, or through things like video chat with family and friends. One of my friends has put up a status saying that she wanted to have a “video date” with friends if they were interested. I thought this was a good idea. Not just as a coronavirus update, but to have virtual coffee together, happy hour, or to sit and watch a movie together virtually. It definitely seemed like a good way to boost spirits and to still have communication with those we care most about! Anyone else do group dates like this virtually?

• bill-jones

March 17, 2020 at 7:31 pm

Glad to see Brittany is back on line. Hope you are feeling better. This Coronavirus has really changed the game for all of us. We were to be flying home today but have cancelled and are just staying put at our home in Florida. We had to reschedule our appointment at Mayo until May. It’s just to scary right now for me to be flying with all that’s going on. I cant believe all the people that have made light of this whole situation and go on as they normally do. Hope all are taking care and being safe.

• brittany-foster

March 18, 2020 at 12:23 pm

Hi @bill-jones I really have a problem with the people that are all making light of this. This shows the ignorance of some of the country and that is so unfortunate. I think that in times like these it’s important to remember that there are probably (and thankfully) MORE people that are doing the RIGHT thing than the wrong thing. It’s easy to get caught up in the few that are not doing as they are told, but it’s better to think about all the changes people have made for the greater good of those that could be most impacted by this disease.

• Colleen

March 18, 2020 at 2:11 pm

@brittany-foster I think the virtual dates sound like a great idea. However, would you believe I’ve never used face time or anything like that. For some reason the thought of anything like that makes me feel self conscious. It’s why I haven’t joined any of the Friday chats yet with our staff. So silly, I know.

As much as people like to complain and make fun of social media I believe a lot of good comes from it. I have reconnected with and met so many new people because of it.

• Colleen

March 18, 2020 at 2:14 pm

@bill-jones and @brittany-foster light humor is fine but the people not taking the precautions seriously are really upsetting me too. The conspiracy theories going around are ridiculous and if there turns out to be truth to any of them, I will still be satisfied with not taking the concerns lightly.