Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges ​Dating and Relationships Support Systems : Sharing Gratitude

• Support Systems : Sharing Gratitude

Posted by brittany-foster on July 22, 2019 at 12:22 pm

In my latest column post for Recharged and Rewired that was published on Friday, I wrote about my gratitude for my support system.

I wrote…

“Chronic illness often leaves me feeling frustrated with my physical and mental health. When I am feeling overwhelmed by my body’s symptoms or experiencing emotional distress, I am not the best person to be around.

When my internal organs seem out of my control, I have a hard time articulating what my needs are. This makes it hard for doctors, medical professionals, therapists, and family and friends to know exactly how they can help. I become moody, argumentative, and aggressive, and I struggle to find hope in these moments.

When life feels too overwhelming, I am thankful for the people in my life who don’t give up on me. These are the people who have been around for every emotion and have toughed it out just as much as I have.”

Do you have support in your life that you want to thank for not giving up on you? What difficulties (either physical or mental) have they helped you with recently? Sometimes it’s good to just know that there are people out there who will fight for you when you don’t feel like fighting for yourself.

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

July 22, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Great job, Brittany! I definitely am grateful for my support team. They have patience, as you mention, I’m not the most cheerful person when things are overwhelmingly busy.

I don’t know what I would do without them. Just letting me know that it’s OK and loving me through my worst days, is huge. I think that having a strong support system is much needed when dealing with PH.

• brittany-foster

July 22, 2019 at 7:38 pm

It really is, Jen! It makes such a huge difference in my life when the people I love and care about most visit me in hospitals or just offer to be around if I’m really not doing well and could use the extra help. It takes a lot for me to admit that I need help with doing something . Sometimes it’s good to just have people around who will lift you up in spirit even if they can’t do much physically for you. When my spirit is down, that’s always my go to for a pick me up! That and these forums 🙂

• jen-cueva

July 22, 2019 at 8:51 pm

I’m the same as it’s difficult for me to ask for help. It’s great to have some support who know me well enough to know when I need certain things.Just listening is all I need sometimes.

These forums are a huge support system.

• brittany-foster

July 23, 2019 at 9:21 am

Glad we can be a support system to you, Jen! That really is great to hear. I know that it’s hard to reach out to those who really don’t “get it”. Sometimes all it takes is a good vent session though and to be called out when I need it and then I can go home, think about it, and reset whatever I’m doing that causes me stress. I learned that I need to do these things on MY OWN time though, eventually I get to the right decision. I am stubborn when I want to be though.

• jen-cueva

July 23, 2019 at 7:02 pm

Yes, the forums and venting definitely help me get through many days. It’s a relief to know others ” get it” when most of the world has no clue. 🤗