Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Those of you on high oxygen flow rates, do you ever use an oxygen mask?

• Those of you on high oxygen flow rates, do you ever use an oxygen mask?

Posted by stephanie-mitchell on March 19, 2020 at 9:48 am

I’ve read many posts from oxygen users and some of you are on really high oxygen flow rates. For those of you that are, have you or do you ever use an oxygen mask in lieu of your nasal cannula?

I’m only on 2 lpm for now and I can feel the oxygen flow coming out of the cannula prongs. I can only imagine the flow out of a nasal cannula at super high flow rates. It must feel like a hurricane. It seems that for those of you on a high flow rate, an oxygen mask would be more comfortable, at least wearing it around the house and if you didn’t need to talk much.

Just curious to see how some of feel about using a mask. I know that at some point my oxygen use will increase and I’ll probably be up with you guys at that high flow.

Thanks,
    Steph

debbie-moore replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • brittany-foster

March 19, 2020 at 3:41 pm

@stephanie sometimes because of drying in the nose or something, I have to take my oxygen off and give myself a rest. For those who really need a high liter or flow , there is a high flow cannula. I know that others have used the assistance of masks. I really like my mask for when I need more oxygen at rest and when I am just sitting around. Sometimes I will also use the mask if my nose gets too dry or my nose is bleeding from the cannula. It just depends on how I am feeling and my symptoms

• stephanie-mitchell

March 19, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Thanks Brittany. What flow are you on currently? Do you use what is called a “simple” oxygen mask or one that have a reservoir bag?

• Colleen

March 19, 2020 at 4:59 pm

@stephanie my son always preferred the mask, but keep in mind, he was a child (8-14 years old). He always felt more comfortable with the mask and felt that he was receiving the oxygen more effectively that way. He used it even when he was on a high flow rate. You have to make sure the mask fits well or else you lose a lot of the oxygen through the sides.

• brittany-foster

March 20, 2020 at 12:54 pm

@colleensteele really good point about the mask fitting well. I know that has been a problem in the past for me with my bipap equipment. I have a tiny little face and a small jaw line so the air would sometimes come out from under the mask and make it not as effective. Usually getting a good respiratory therapist that was willing to work with me on finding the right fit really helped me find the best one for my needs and comfort level. It’s important to be honest with the RT so they can make adjustments accordingly.

• stephanie-mitchell

March 20, 2020 at 1:02 pm

You’re so right. Finding the RIGHT RT is key to effective therapy whether oxygen and/or BiPap, ventilator.

Brittany, what mask do you use with your Trilogy?

• brittany-foster

March 20, 2020 at 1:05 pm

@stephanie I use the ResMed Airfit for the mask. It is a comfy cushion and I am currently using the nasal pillow version.

• Colleen

March 20, 2020 at 3:03 pm

@brittany-foster another thing about the mask is when my son was having bad episodes he would push the mask in with his fingers to force the air through more. Moments like that I would try to encourage him to use the nose cannula but he still always insisted on the mask.

• stephanie-mitchell

March 20, 2020 at 4:42 pm

Hi Colleen. Curious as to what you mean when your son would “push the mask in with his fingers to force the air through more.”

Did his mask have a reservoir bag that he’d squeeze to try and force more oxygen out into the mask?

• brittany-foster

March 23, 2020 at 10:17 am

@colleensteele I feel like the mask is probably better for if you want more oxygen in and are requiring a higher flow rate. There is sometimes when the oxygen mask can just feel more comfortable on the face. (besides from the huge anesthesia type masks) but just the plastic masks make it easier to breathe through with the cannula not way up my nose or taking up my nostril. Sometimes when I am in a bad state of health, my senses feel overwhelmed !

• jen-cueva

November 3, 2023 at 1:20 pm

Here is another topic you may find helpful on the higher oxygen flow, @debbie. Do you use the nasal cannula or the mask?

• debbie-moore

November 9, 2023 at 9:12 am

I use a nasal cannula. I never thought about using a mask. How bad is it when your tubing gets caught on something and pulls at it?