• Water aerobics

Posted by sarah on November 25, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Water aerobics works for me. I used to do hi impact aerobics, then low impact, then yoga and tai chi, the cold water aerobics. All I can do now is warm water at a low pace, not aerobic, but at least I am moving and can breathe. If you are struggling and can only do a littler, try it. I do use a rolling bag and use the elevator — it is work just to get there but it seems to be good for my body and also socialization.

tricia-stagner replied 4 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • brittany-foster

November 26, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Sarah,
    I have never done water aerobics but it sounds therapeutic, especially in the warmer water too. Do you go to a fitness center and do this? I know that there are some fitness centers near me that offer classes and have a pool and if your doctor writes a certain note, you can get insurance to pay for the membership! It’s a pretty good added benefit of living with a chronic illness!

• jimi-mcintosh

November 26, 2019 at 7:41 pm

I love to swim and if the pool is enclosed and humid, then, I have to pass. I cannot not breathe with the moisture. It is great exercise, especially for the joints, knees, back
    And the sense of freedom. Floating without a care in the world.

• brittany-foster

November 27, 2019 at 9:39 am

Jimi,
      I took the kiddos that I babysit to an indoor pool one time that was SO HOT inside. The pool water seemed to be cooler than the air but the combination of that humidity and moisture just was awful for me. I felt like I was in a sauna and I have to stay away from that environment!

• sarah

November 27, 2019 at 7:27 pm

The pool I go to is the YMCA. The water is warm (usually) but the air is cold. The problem is that they’ve repeatedly been putting too much chlorine in the pool and many of the ladies had rashes. For me, it set off asthma. I am going to have to call ahead to see if they will be able to get the chlorine under control. For me, the good outweighs the bad.

• tricia-stagner

January 28, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Sarah are you on oxygen? I am and I find it hard to do water aerobics with a tube connected to my nose. I have the portable green tanks and I have a 14’ hose for the pool but I find myself worrying about people around me and getting tangled in my hose or dragging my tank in the pool! My regulator is not water proof. I have tried to exercise without my O2 but I have not been successful at that. I used to do water aerobics before my ph diagnosis and I really love it! I would be ever so grateful for any advise to get me back into it .