• What Has Been Your Worst Hospital Roommate Experience?

Posted by Colleen on September 10, 2020 at 7:24 pm

Post-transplant patients always get their own hospital rooms but when my son had PH he had to share a room with another patients on many occasions. At that time he was a pediatric patient and of course there are different issues with children than what you might have with an adult. Then again…maybe not.

I remember my son rooming with a young boy (About 8 years old) who had quite the potty mouth. The kid freaked out on his nurse and started cursing at her. My son who was about 10 at the time was so shocked. His eyes got huge and he whispered to me, “Well there is something I have never done!”. Cullen was actually very sick at the time, to the point that rapid response was called for him a few times. Having such a high strung, distracting person next to him added to the stress.

What about you? What was the worst hospital roommate experience that you have had?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 11, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Oh no, this must have been a shocker for you, too, @colleensteele. Did you ask to be moved? I have had one time that I know of that comes to mind. It was one of my worst hospital visits. As we were coming down the hall from ER to my room, we could hear the roommate yelling and acting out. When we got to the door, my hubby and I both asked the nurse for another room. She said they did not have one. My hubby went to the nurse manager and they found a room on another floor, thankfully. But, the nurse told us if we had gone into that room, we would be stuck with it. I told her that was not true but she said management told her that. Have you heard this before?

Thankfully, that was the worst. The other issues were with so many visitors coming to see a roommate when the room is so small. I was already feeling horrible and they were so loud and stayed all day long. My hubby finally asked if they could be quieter so I could rest. This was after I was yelling, “shh” loudly many times because I was in pain and exhausted.

• Colleen

September 11, 2020 at 4:02 pm

@jenc I didn’t have to ask for Cullen to be moved because unfortunately he went into a PH crisis and had to be transferred to ICU. Crying babies was often an issue for him. He of course understands that babies cry but it’s hard when you are really sick and have a crying toddler next to you. I also remember a time when Cullen had a horrific migraine and the mom next to us had Elmo blaring on the TV for her son. I had to ask her to please turn it down. I shouldn’t have had to ask. We always make a point of being respectful toward the other family in the room.

I felt so much frustration reading about your experiences, especially regarding the guests of the other patient. It just blows my mind how inconsiderate people can be. Cullen started taking ear plugs and eye masks to the hospital to help him block out surrounding voices and sounds. Have you ever tried doing that?

• dawnt

September 14, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Hi Colleen, I’ve been lucky (to my thinking) that I’ve usually not had a roommate during my hospital stays. I’m a very private person and would have had a tough time. The last time I was in the hospital I had a great roommate. Very quiet, very respectful, but we had a lot in common so did a good bit of talking – which is unusual for me with someone I don’t know.
    The worst thing I had was when I was in the hospital to start sotalol. I didn’t have a roommate but the person one or two rooms away from me kept yelling for someone to help them, and to please let them go home. It seemed from listening to them that it may have been an elderly person with some alzheimers or dementia. It was heartbreaking to hear the pleading in their voice.

On a lighter note, you mentioned babies in your post. I mentioned to a friend from work how co-incidental it was that at almost the same time every day they played the music over the hospital intercom that signified a baby was born. I thought that was really impressive to have that be so consistant. My friend very kindly explained that that was when planned c-sections were scheduled….ha!

• jen-cueva

September 14, 2020 at 2:42 pm

Oh No, @colleensteele, the crying babies would undoubtedly add to my stress if I were sharing a room and felt really bad. I hate that Cullen had a PH crisis.

I have used eye masks at the hospital to try and rest during the day. I have yet to use earplugs, but that is something that I may add to my “go” bag, aka hospital bag. I am thinking that having both would help some as we all know that hospitals can become quite loud.

@dawnt that is cool that you found someone to talk to in one of your roommates, especially since you mention that this is not easy for you. I am sure that it helped you both pass som time while being there. The yelling and screaming of patients in the hospital can cause so much anxiety and stress. This reminded me of one stay when late night, a patient down the hall was nonstop screaming. They finally had to move her to another floor. I finally went to sleep after that.

The baby song is cute. Here they play music anytime a baby is born. I do not always hear to depending on which floor I am on. It is a lullaby.