• What Helped You Get Over The PH Diagnosis Hump?

Posted by Colleen on February 25, 2022 at 2:10 pm

I can remember waiting in a Starbucks drive-thru and feeling numb. My son was just diagnosed with IPAH and it I felt like my life as I knew it ended. I asked myself why I was even bothering to order my favorite, peppermint mocha. It no longer felt right to enjoy anything in life.

But I realize now that maintaining my Starbucks routine helped me get over the PH diagnosis hump. It gave me a few minutes to myself every day and a chance to either clear my head or work my worries though in my mind. It was well worth the cost of the mocha.

Eventually Starbucks became a part of PH tradition of getting together with other PHamilies or treating myself and Cullen to a beverage after appointments or during hospital stays. It took time but I did find guilt free joy in my life again.

What helped you get over the PH diagnosis hump? Offer your experience for members who are recently diagnosed.

I wrote about this topic in a recent column. Here is the link: Tips To Get Over The PH Diagnosis Hump  

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

February 28, 2022 at 1:10 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I know how much you love your peppermint mochas. We talked about this when I first met you since I love white peppermint mochas. But I never thought of this as a routine. Maybe because for me, I only go occasionally.

But I love your tips on getting through that PH diagnosis hump. I certainly enjoy communicating with others within the PH community. Co-moderating the forums with you and advocating for our community is a huge part of my life. I’ve always said meeting PHriends and supporting all makes my heart full of joy.

My closest family, friends, and faith helped me through my diagnosis hump- lots of prayers. When I think back on that first few months, I wish I had had a routine. Because I didn’t, I do believe I went into a mild depression and didn’t realize it at that time.

I’ll keep thinking back and see if I remember any daily routine I maintained. I now continue to struggle with communicating with those outside the PH community on my bad days.