• Who are your advocates?

Posted by Kathleen Sheffer on March 1, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Anyone else have trouble effectively advocating for themselves? The past few days I’ve been distracted trying to advocate for friends of mine who are going through some challenges related to their illnesses. All three of my friends are strong women, but it seems like medical professionals are drowning out their voices. One friend in particular is getting bullied by staff members. I have been trying to speak to them directly on her behalf because I know they won’t treat me the same way.

When I am the patient, I try to always have advocates with me. My parents are often taken more seriously than I am. This is totally backwards, of course, but that’s the unfortunate reality. Have you ever felt like your team won’t listen to you until someone else speaks up on your behalf?

What do you do to change a situation in which your voice isn’t being heard? How do you gain respect of physicians and other staff members as a person coping with an illness? Do you prefer to have others speak on your behalf? Why or why not? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

Kathleen Sheffer replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.