Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Will You Take the COVID Vaccination When It Is Available?

• jen-cueva

September 22, 2020 at 10:57 am

Hi @annefox, thanks for sharing your updates. I am sure that this all can be frustrating and confusing for you. I hope and pray that you have neither, but if you do, maybe just one is enough. I am happy that you are on diuretics. I understand your kidney doctor’s concerns. I have the same issue. Being on 3 diuretics for 15 years has taken a toll on my kidneys. Less is more when dealing with those. I know it is a careful balancing act between that and CHF.

I wrote this column last year, that you may relate to. Feel free to give it a read. Take care and stay safe, Anne.

• jen-cueva

September 22, 2020 at 11:02 am

Thanks for sharing @mamabear007. Yes, Houston and the surrounding areas have mask mandates in businesses. We still have folks that could care less, and the companies have not done much to stop anyone. So, I am happy to hear things are a bit better there with people taking precautions.

What are you doing to stay busy this week? You are always doing some craft or hobby.

Sending hugs from Texas.

• V.R. Peterson

September 22, 2020 at 11:25 am

@jenc, believe it or not, I haven’t had anything on my needles for more than a month. I need to do better. To stay busy, I’ve been dealing with a mini crisis. Not with my family, thank goodness!

• jen-cueva

September 22, 2020 at 11:41 am

Oh no, @mamabear007, I am sorry to hear about the crisis. Is there anything that we can do to help support you? I hope that whomever it involves, things will improve.

I am so surprised that you are not doing something crafty. Please don’t forget self-care when helping others.<3

• Lenna Thomas West

September 22, 2020 at 3:53 pm

I am a former nurse practitioner with PH. I will read the medical data and then I will watch Dr Anthony Fauci. He is the foremost expert on this and vaccines. When he gets in line for his vaccine I am going to be right behind him (figuratively speaking). If I was making this decision for my child I would totally be more cautious. It is important for everyone to decide what is best for them and when their timing is right. I have been totally sequestered during this pandemic because I have so many medical issues. I am hoping there will be a safe option in the beginning of 2021. Stay safe everyone.

• V.R. Peterson

September 22, 2020 at 4:21 pm

Thank you, @jenc. I’ve taken steps to mitigate damages caused by someone else. Now I wait for the drama to end. I’m confident it will. ????

• Steve Sallee

September 22, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Good question. I am now staying in the Seattle area awaiting a lung transplant. I have and will have much at stake. I find myself viewing anyone without a mask as an enemy. All I can do is protect myself as best I can. I have endured quite a lot to get to this point. Not sure if I want to risk it.

• Rebecca Talkie

September 22, 2020 at 6:09 pm

My husband and I are waiting a while for the Covid vaccine when it comes out. We are about ready to get our “old persons” flu shot. We decided to wait until the end of September because flu season in Ohio isn’t until Jan or Feb. I still need to get my second of two, shingles shot. My Father in law had that and it was awful. My Echocardiogram was yesterday and it appears to be OK. Tomorrow is my right heart cath. I earned another one of those by passing out a few weeks ago. After that I will deal with all these shots.

• Colleen

September 22, 2020 at 6:53 pm

@mamabear007 it sounds like maybe you got wrapped into someone else’s drama? Well, whatever it is I hope there will be an end to it soon.

I think you might be right. More people are wearing masks without argument now. There are and probably always will be the few that won’t. Sad to say but it seems that those who aren’t wearing them are looking for an argument.

I worry about my youngest son as you do your daughter-in-law @mamabear007. He has to work every day which I know puts him at risk. He tells me he is alone most of the time but I know he can’t totally avoid people when there.

Do you have any special projects in mind for the upcoming holiday’s?

• Colleen

September 22, 2020 at 6:56 pm

@annefox I was thinking of you today and wondering how you are feeling since your last update? You mentioned fluid on the lungs and a cardiologist appointment in a few months. Did your doctor give you things to watch for in case you need to be seen sooner?

• Colleen

September 22, 2020 at 7:02 pm

@lenna-thomas-west I also have a few people whose steps I’m going to follow in regard to the vaccine. My son is an adult now but he will always be my “kid” so to speak. When it appears to be safe to receive I would still rather give it a go first before my son does.

• Colleen

September 22, 2020 at 7:05 pm

@exjarhead57730, you mentioned Seattle. If I may ask, are you listed at the UW? My son received his heart and double-lung transplant at Stanford but he just transitioned from to pediatric to adult care at the UW. We were also in the process of double-listing him at the UW when he received the call at Stanford. My son is 6 years post now. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about transplant that maybe I can help you with.

• Colleen

September 22, 2020 at 7:08 pm

@becca I will be thinking of you tomorrow. I’m sure the cath will go just fine. I hope it provides answers to your passing out episodes and that your doctor figures out the best treatment to help you. Update when you can.

• anne

September 22, 2020 at 7:26 pm

Jen you wrote, “I wrote this column last year, that you may relate to. Feel free to give it a read. Take care and stay safe, Anne.” How do I get to that column?

Thank you,
    Anne

• jen-cueva

September 23, 2020 at 10:26 am

Hi @lenna-thomas-west, I am with you. I worked in nursing before PH, so I take what Dr. Fauci and his team say seriously. As you also mention, we all must do what we feel is best for us in this situation. Just like any PH treatment, our circumstances and our bodies are different.

Thanks for sharing your things on this important and hot topic. What area did you work in? I worked in hospice care most of the time. How long have you had PH?

• jen-cueva

September 23, 2020 at 10:29 am

I am sending you lots of hugs and positive vibes from Texas. Prayers that you do not have to deal with much drama. This is always such a stressful time when others create drama. Stay safe and take care of yourself. It sounds like you have it all under control; just know that we are here to support you.

• jen-cueva

September 23, 2020 at 10:33 am

Hi @annefox, you can click the highlighted phrase that says column in that one, and it will take you there. Let me post it here to see if that may be easier for you to locate. Click on the here area below.

Click here to read the column.

Please let me know if this is more helpful, Anne.

• jen-cueva

September 23, 2020 at 10:39 am

Hi @becca, thinking of you today as you go through your heart cath. I am hopeful that you will get some answers about why you are passing out so often. The Echo being OK sounds positive, but we know that something is causing these passing out episodes. I know this has to be frustrating and frightening, too.

Yes, passing out episodes come before the vaccine, for sure.

Hugs and prayers are with you from Texas- update as you are up to it.

• V.R. Peterson

September 23, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Yes, @colleensteele. I solved the situation by learning to set boundaries. Now I rest until I decompress from it all. 🙂

• Colleen

September 23, 2020 at 3:39 pm

@mamabear007 it’s often not easy setting boundaries. Good for you for doing it!

• Steve Sallee

September 24, 2020 at 7:21 am

Yes, I am listed at UW. This will be done through the VA. UW will do the procedure then after about 2 weeks I will be transferred back to the VA Puget Sound health care system for the rest of my recovery. Thanks for offering to answer my questions as I have many. I almost didn’t go ahead with it because I was told the national average was 5 years and I guess I thought that wasn’t enough to justify it all. But at 6 years your son has already surpassed that. It seems almost everyone I talk with who knows someone who has been transplanted has positive things to say. But I am a realist and I prefer to hear both Pro and Con so I can prepare better. I am a Marine and one of our favorite expressions is “we adapt and overcome”. We need as much info as we can get in order to accomplish this. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Thank you again, -Steve.

• jen-cueva

September 24, 2020 at 10:19 am

Hi @mamabear007, I agree with Colleen. Setting boundaries can be challenging. I continue to work on this with my therapist. Yes, please do something that you enjoy and decompress. What will that be? Maybe a craft project or reading?

• V.R. Peterson

September 24, 2020 at 11:14 am

I think I’m going to start knitting some caps. Christmas is only two months away, and I always knit caps for the delivery people (propane, UPS, FedEx, Schwann’s) as a thank-you for keeping me in the things I need. That hats will be a small enough project that they should reduce the stress level rather than raise it. Hmmmmm….. I can feel the stress leaving my body already. 🙂

• jen-cueva

September 24, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Haha @mamabear007, you are such a giving lady. I love that you have made masks for those in need; now you are knitting caps for those who serve you. That sounds like a great way to reduce stress and give back. How many will you make? Do you take orders? We can keep you busy, lol.

Yes, doing this at your own pace and chill a bit. You deserve it! <3

• V.R. Peterson

September 26, 2020 at 2:36 pm

@jenc, I’ll be making at least 6 caps. Both UPS and FedEx have two regular drivers for my route. I tried taking orders several years ago. Knitting for money was too much like work, and it was no longer enjoyable. So now I just knit for family, friends and myself.

Page 2 of 4