What’s your self-care routine?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Kathleen Sheffer
      Participant

My weekend was great, but I overdid it. Overdoing it post-transplant is very different compared to when I had pulmonary arterial hypertension. I can do so much more now that I am healthy/ And yet, it turns out I’m still capable of pushing myself too far.

Last week I made exercise a priority. I haven’t been feeling great, and I decided a lot of it was due to lack of exercise (see my posts about gastroparesis and keeping active). And so I exercised. A lot.

I took yoga classes Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. Not-so-secretly, I hate doing yoga, especially in group classes where I feel like the least physically fit person in the room. So this was a big leap for me. Literally — in one class the instructor asked us to attempt handstands. I laughed through it. Yoga seems good for my body, but I’m still getting past my competitive side that doesn’t know how to properly modify.

Wednesday I did two photoshoots, and one involved climbing seemingly endless flights of stairs. That’s not really a problem for me now, but I was sore from doing yoga the day before and skiing the day before that!

On Saturday I went to a dog park with my friend, went to the climbing gym with my boyfriend, and then went to a housewarming party. The next morning I did yoga, followed by two softball games (my first in years)! Lots of fun was had, and I am thrilled I physically can do it all. But by late Sunday night I was exhausted, in tears, and full of anxiety about the week ahead. I didn’t take good care of my mental health and I let a lot of basic needs slide (read further about my hairy legs).

Staying active is so important for my body and my transplanted organs, but it takes a lot of time. I realize I don’t have to do a yoga class and play a sport in the same day. Oops. I’m constantly balancing the critical full-time job of health maintenance, and my paying jobs (freelance photography and writing).

All this is to say that I am taking tomorrow as a self-care day. I honestly can’t remember the last time I shaved my legs. Although my boyfriend says he doesn’t care, I care! I’m going to shave my legs, trim my fingernails, paint my toenails, read, and write for fun (and hopefully future columns).

What do you do for self-care? Do you ever take a day “off” just for yourself? If so, how do you treat yourself? I’m trying to think of calming activities that will help me have a more productive and healthy week. Laundry? Meal prep? Share your suggestions in the comments, please!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account