• 1st visit to Pulmonologist in 5yrs

Posted by C. Todaro on September 26, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I’m going to see a Pulmonologist next week. I followed with one 5 years ago after multiple small PEs were found in my right lung.
    This time, I’m going for Pulmonary Hypertension. An echocardiogram was the diagnostic tool used by my (now former) cardiologist. They gave me a 47 lung pressure. Not too bad, right?
    Anyway, what questions should I be sure to ask the new doctor?
    The Cardiologist thinks PEs caused damage initially, but I don’t understand why it took 5 years to become symptomatic.
    Anyway, thanks all!

*please NO spam/ scam responses to this post*

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

September 27, 2018 at 7:45 am

Hey,
    Are you bringing someone to this appointment with you? I would first suggest having someone to go with you. They may be telling you a lot of information and sometimes it is hard to grasp. I know for me it is and I usually am too nervous to actually soak up what they are telling me. I would make a list of your symptoms and try to keep track of when your symptoms are worse or better. Keep this list in a journal and bring it to your doctor appointment to go over exactly what you have been experiencing. Even thinking back to when you first started noticing symptoms and how it has been progressing for you. I would ask them about other testing that is done such as the 6 minute walk test to check oxygen levels upon exertion especially if you are experiencing shortness of breath. Then ask them about a right heart cath which is the way to properly diagnose PH even though they suspected it with the echo. Ask them if they have an explanation for the PEs that happened and if they think this has contributed to the PH. Like I said, any advice and feedback you are getting from this post I would write everything down beforehand even starting now and keeping track of your symptoms and what makes them better or worse. Hope this helped a bit! I’m only speaking from experience.

• Iris Alexander

September 30, 2018 at 2:41 am

Brittany was spot on I think you need a clear definitive diagnosis which will require more tests particularly the right heart catharization test.

• C. Todaro

October 11, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Thank you both for your advice. I forgot so much during that visit. Ugh. I’ll try to bring my husband to the next visit and will call the offc tomorrow to schedule the heart cath. All these tests, visits are tiring and $$$. The Pulmonologist is solid though.

• Brittany Foster

October 12, 2018 at 8:37 am

I’m glad that you are liking your doctor! it also helps when you have someone to go with you to have an extra set of ears. My brain tends to shut off on me during appointments ! My emotions don’t tend to match what I’m expressing so having my mom there is always helpful so she can let them know how I’m really feeling. Anxiety sometimes takes the form of giddiness at appointments and it seems like I’m overly happy but actually I’m crying inside (weird how emotions can play tricks on us or people viewing us from the outside). I hope all your testing gets done soon. The worst part is always waiting for the answers or waiting until the next step is done !