Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2021 30 Days of PH: A Potts Shunt Is Buying My Daughter Precious Time

• 30 Days of PH: A Potts Shunt Is Buying My Daughter Precious Time

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on November 29, 2021 at 6:23 pm

Pam Minkey’s daughter, Mara, was diagnosed with PAH in February 2017 at age 9. Her PAH was considered severe, and she was put on triple therapy. Over time, Mara’s doctor mentioned “lung transplant” but she also mentioned a Potts shunt.

The Potts shunt procedure creates a connection from the left pulmonary artery to the descending aorta, diverting some of the high-pressure blood from the lungs. It relieves some of the strain on the right heart, and preserves right heart function.

In July 2021, Mara had the procedure. She had complications and stayed in hospital for almost three weeks, receiving treatment for right heart failure, among other problems. This was the scariest part.

For now, Mara is stable and enjoying life and we are adapting again to a new normal.

Thank you for sharing your story Pam! Mara sounds so resillient 🙂

Now back to our PH Community. Have you been offered a Potts shunt? Have you ever heard of this procedure?

Mara’s story is on our Instagram! Go check it out and do give us a follow so you don’t miss out on any #30DaysofPH stories. We are almost at the end of the month. Stay with us x

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

November 30, 2021 at 6:40 pm

Wow, I cannot begin to imagine how difficult this was for you, Pam. I am so grateful that the POTTS shunt was effective for Mara.

I have heard of this procedure from my PH center. But I also know a young lady who had a POTTS shunt as a teen, and this was pretty effective for her, too.

I love the picture of Mara; it looks like a zipline adventure. That is on my to-do list one day, too. So, this inspires me to do that adventure even more.

Pam, I hope that this offers Mara and your family so many more precious memories and time. It has proven successful for many. Thank you for sharing your incredible journey.