Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2021 30 Days of PH: Managing Two Chronic Illnesses Starts With Acceptance

• 30 Days of PH: Managing Two Chronic Illnesses Starts With Acceptance

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on November 22, 2021 at 3:44 pm

This is Nitya Gupta’s story. Nitya is 30 years old, from New Delhi, India. She lives with pulmonary hypertension (PH), secondary to thalassemia. Life with thalassemia major (a severe form of the disease) was already tough, so being diagnosed with PH, another chronic disease, hit her hard.

Nitya has learned that acceptance is half the battle. Her lifestyle changed and, most importantly, her pace. She believes in never comparing her journey with anybody else. We all have different battles to fight.

Thank you for sharing your story Nitya!

Now back to our PH Community. Do you ever compare your experience with everyone else’s? I know I sometimes do! How do you manage these emotions?

Nitya’s story is on our Instagram! Go check it out and do give us a follow so you don’t miss out on any #30DaysofPH stories. This is an amazing community, and we have more stories until the end of the month. Stay with us x

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Colleen

November 22, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Nitya brings up an important point, “Do not compare your journey that of someone else”.

I think it’s important that we pay attention to each other’s story because there is always something we can learn from each other. But try to keep in mind that as similar as our PH stories might seem, there are also many differences. The reality of the disease is that while some people are managing their PH well, others are declining and some are happy at feeling comfortable at stable

Don’t make this journey harder than it already is by making comparisons.

• jen-cueva

November 23, 2021 at 10:43 am

An important takeaway from Nitya’s story. I think at times, we all find ourselves comparing to others. This can be our PH journey or, in general. As @colleensteele reminds us, this makes our battle that much harder.

For me, this happened more at the beginning, just after diagnosis and finding others with PH. I wanted to know what so many were at different stages. But my heart broke for those who were at a more progressed stage more than comparing myself. I often feel guilty having good days while so many there are struggling.

Do you find yourself comparing in this way more than to others who are doing well? Let’s talk about this.

Hearing others’ stories certainly can be a source of education, hope, or inspiration. Thank you, Priya, for sharing your imperative message that we can relate to in some ways.