Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2021 30 Days of PH: My Vantage Point as PH Mom and Registered Nurse

• 30 Days of PH: My Vantage Point as PH Mom and Registered Nurse

Posted by Jessie Madrigal Fletcher on November 29, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Carrie Walls heard the words “pulmonary hypertension” sitting next to her son’s hospital bed after his first open-heart surgery. She had no idea what it meant for him.

Carrie son’s PH is secondary to his primary diagnosis of pulmonary vein stenosis — two very progressive and often fatal conditions. She was told by several medical professionals that the combination of these illnesses was nearly impossible to survive.

Her son has been stable for two and a half years.

Her son’s nurses were a big part of Carrie finding her voice. Because of them, she became a nurse. She wanted not only to learn more about her son’s conditions, but also to support and care for other families like hers.

Carrie has just accepted a registered nursing position at the same hospital and on the same floor on which she spent so many nights with her boy.

“I hope to be helpful and change a few lives along the way.”

Carrie you are a star! Thank you for sharing your story!

Now back to our PH Community. Has learning about PH inspired you to do something?

Carrie’s story is on our Instagram! Go check it out and do give us a follow so you don’t miss out on any #30DaysofPH stories. We are almost at the end of the month. Stay with us x

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

November 30, 2021 at 1:25 pm

I remember reading Carrie’s story when @colleensteele interviewed her in a column. I was so blown away by her determination to continue her education as a nurse while caring for her son with multiple health concerns with PH.

As a nurse before PH, I know how difficult this was for her. But I can’t begin to imagine the rewards that she feels while helping other families with PH.

Although I’m not working as a nurse, I like to think PH inspired me to care for others in many other ways.

Her closing statement tells us so much about her giving heart. Thank you, Carrie. You are such an amazing woman. You never know how much you are touching others’ lives. WTG, superstar!