Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Working With PH A Fellow PH Columnist Writes About Stepping Back From Work

• A Fellow PH Columnist Writes About Stepping Back From Work

Posted by jen-cueva on January 26, 2021 at 9:05 am

Ellie, a fellow PH columnist writes about her need to step away from work. In her column, she writes about working from home and the impact the long hours had on her body. I love her title. It is such an important reminder that patients and caregivers both can relate to, I am certain.

I am certainly guilty of this, too. But I am learning, which is an ongoing process to put my health first. Excellent column, Ellie!

Please give it a read, and let’s talk about this? Has working from home drained you even more than at the office? Share your thoughts.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • V.R. Peterson

January 27, 2021 at 11:05 am

Excellent article! There were times I’d wish my son would quit his job before his PTE surgery. Given that the surgery worked, I can’t complain too much, but I sure did back then.

• jen-cueva

January 27, 2021 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for sharing, @mamabear007. I know lately, I am cutting down on my hours, and I am having difficulty with this. This spoke to me, and as a mom, I can imagine the concerns you must have had before your son had his PTE surgery. I am grateful that he had it and is doing well. Are y’all staying safe?

• V.R. Peterson

January 27, 2021 at 1:48 pm

@jenc, yes, we’re absolutely staying safe. I saw my son yesterday while grocery shopping, and he and his wife are doing well and staying healthy.

• Joe Flynn

January 27, 2021 at 11:52 am

I completely understand. I worked full time as an Orthopedic surgeon until Feb of 2020 when I had to face the reality that I could no longer find the energy to work.
    I felt like I had given in and was quite depressed about it.
    Since then I try to stay active. Spend my time reading and doing small chores around the house.
    I’ve adjusted the way I do things move slowly take breaks when working in my yard. A 1 hour job now takes me much longer to complete. My 1-2 mile walk with my dog is broken up into multiple short walks or more time at the dog park where he can run and I can sit.
    It’s disappointing but I’m trying to adjust my lifestyle.
    Keep going but do it in increments and above appreciate the fact I’m doing it.
    Got to keep going to see my 4 grandkids grow up.

• jen-cueva

January 27, 2021 at 12:11 pm

Hi @joef, I did not recall that you were an ortho surgeon. Wow, I am sure that was a difficult job to do with PH. I am sorry that you can no longer work. I do love your attitude. This will help others by reading your important tips and reminders that we all need.

I love that the grandbabies are keeping you going. Take care, and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

• Colleen

January 27, 2021 at 6:54 pm

@jenc thank you for sharing this column. This is such an important topic! Some additional food for thought, it might be something other than work a person needs to step back from. Volunteer work, going above and beyond for family and friends, a routine that is too difficult to maintain, etc.. Somehow it’s always easier to add to responsibilities than it is to make cuts. We live in a society that tends to move fast and can make us feel like we aren’t good enough if we aren’t doing it all. Instead our thinking should be that we are important enough not to work ourselves into the ground trying to keep up beyond our means.

I always enjoy Ellie’s column. FYI for new members, every week new PH columns are posted on the PH home page. In addition to checking into the forums I highly recommend reading the posted articles. You can gain a lot of perspective and information from them.

• jen-cueva

January 28, 2021 at 12:58 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele, this is true. We often fill our free time with other things to keep us busy. I just commented on another post about just staying busy to check our lists off. Slowing down never hurt anyone. We just live in a fast-paced world.

Yes, we have some amazing PH columnists, I must say.

• Colleen

January 28, 2021 at 6:06 pm

@jenc I just reconnected with a friend who lived a few doors down from my childhood home. We started talking about how much we miss the neighborhood but eventually what we realized we miss is the slower pace in which life was lived back then. I guess I’m getting old talking about, “When I was a kid…”. But it’s true, I feel like life is so rushed now and it puts extra pressure on people living with illness and/or recovering from this pandemic.

• jen-cueva

February 2, 2021 at 2:56 pm

That’s so cool, @colleensteele, reconnecting with friends. I too, often find myself talking about “ the good ole’ days”. It’s funny because my late Pawpaw would talk about the same and he’s been gone almost 20 years.

I think we often crave the calmness and slower pace that we remember as kids. Does that make sense?