Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms After a long week, what are some symptoms that tell you that you need rest?

• After a long week, what are some symptoms that tell you that you need rest?

Posted by brittany-foster on October 25, 2019 at 12:43 pm

I haven’t always been the best at listening to my body and knowing when it needs to rest. But lately, I have been having to pay more attention to my body’s warning signs. If I ignore them, I end up getting too physically and emotionally drained and I fall into a bad pattern of lack of self care.

Some of my warning signs are: waking up feeling tired even though I got enough sleep the night before, feeling like I’m dragging myself to get through the day, headaches and increased dizziness.

When I feel like this, I give myself to give permission to give my body the rest that it deserves.

What are you symptoms of after a long and busy week? Do you ever ignore your symptoms when you need to rest? What do you do to help restore your strength?

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Colleen

October 25, 2019 at 4:14 pm

My son might not share with me when he needs rest but I can always tell by the dark circles under his eyes. Especially when he had PH. When I would see his tired eyes I would insist that he sit or lay down for a while and use his oxygen.

• jen-cueva

October 26, 2019 at 11:03 am

Brittany, this is a great topic. I, too find that I have to listen to my body more. It is so easy to overdo and this is not the best for our bodies. I often find that I then start to feel like no amount of sleep is enough. My body just cannot catch up, at times. I also start to experience brain fog and concentration is all over the place. I experience lightheadedness, too.

My eyes cert, use will be a sign, too. As @colleensteele mentions, my hubby is usually the one who notices this. I am better some days listening to my body and when I do this, I certainly feel better. Other days, I think that I am “Superwoman” and will go until my body falls out, pretty much. I do not recommend this at all.

• rockefeline-denis

October 28, 2019 at 2:38 pm

That’s a great topic. Glad to read all your experiences. I tend to forget that I need to use frequent rest. After a long day my body just won’t move. I have to drag myself out of bed. I have back pain, migraines, dizziness. It takes at least 2 days to get back to “ normal”

• Colleen

October 28, 2019 at 2:45 pm

@rockie436 back pain, migraines, dizziness – that all sounds familiar. When my son would start feeling those symptoms then he would know that he had to rest. It would sometimes take days to recover. He was in grade school at the time and missed a lot of days simply because he needed rest.

Take it easy when you need to! Rest is as important as oxygen and medications!

• rockefeline-denis

October 28, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Colleen, it’s easier to say than do. Sometimes we forget that we are not completely normal until our body remind us that we should have rested and breathe. I can relate to your son missing days of school. I’ve been missing days of work just because I forgot to slow down and paused last week. No matter what I am blessed. I am victorious every day I wake up and able to breathe.

• Colleen

October 28, 2019 at 3:02 pm

That is the truth @rockie436! I can remember days when my instinct was that my son should stay home and rest although he was insisting he wanted to go to school Sometimes I would break down and let him go, only to receive a call later from the school to come get him. Definitely easier to say, “make time to rest” than it is to do, especially when you don’t want to miss out on something. I feel for you.

• rockefeline-denis

October 28, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Colleen, I can understand you. We don’t know the true meaning of the word tired until you’re tired of being tired.

• jen-cueva

October 28, 2019 at 3:24 pm

So true, Colleen and @rockie436. We certainly underestimate fatigue until we experience it daily.

I, too, often find that I need reminders to rest and take it to slow some days. It is not easy when you are stubborn, Hehe

I am thankful for the support and reminders here that we offer one another.

• rockefeline-denis

October 28, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Yes, indeed. We don’t know what tired means until you’re tired of being tired.