Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Are You Still Getting Lab Work Drawn?

• Are You Still Getting Lab Work Drawn?

Posted by Colleen on April 2, 2020 at 4:18 pm

I was wondering who is still venturing out to get lab work drawn and if anyone was able to postpone that routine?

My son has his blood drawn once a month for a long list of tests. Most of them are just for monitoring his health post-transplant and results haven’t changed in a long time. However, there are a few that we rely on to keep a close eye on his progressing kidney disease. With that being said, we made the decision not to do blood work this month due to the risk of exposure to COVID-19.

However, with PH and underlying conditions, skipping labs is a risk you might not be able to take. What precautions are you and medical staff taking in regard to blood draws?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years ago 4 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

April 2, 2020 at 4:25 pm

Hi @colleensteele I actually went out today to get labs done. It wasn’t bloodwork, it as a urinalysis. My PCP wanted to get this for me because I have been having a lot of pain in my bladder. It definitely could be related to my kidney stones but they just wanted to make sure that there was no bleeding or infection on top of everything ! I think my bladder and urinary system is just in a spasm from dealing with the pain of the kidney stones. I will be sure to update when I get results back though!

• Colleen

April 2, 2020 at 4:39 pm

@brittany-foster I’ve been thinking a lot about your kidney stones. Sometimes weeks before the pain really hits I experience back pain, nausea and even vomiting. I know you have a lot going on that also cause those symptoms but I wonder if the stones have been contributing to those symptoms before you were aware that you had them?

You were wise checking for infection because that is a possibility. Also, keep checking your temperature and go to the hospital if it spikes. I’ve never experience an infection with mine and it’s not likely that you will either, but it’s always best to be safe than sorry.

• Deborah A

April 2, 2020 at 7:31 pm

@brittany-foster, kiddney stones are so painful, I hope they’ve passed, I’m sorry you went through that. I was an Ultrasound technician along time ago. When I would do Ultrasounds for Kidney stones, I always felt so bad for my patients. It is good your Dr. Sent you for urine labs, I wonder if he sent you for an Ultrasound of Urinary tract, it’s just a thought, but it’s been a long time since I worked and your best advice is your Dr. And I know none of us want to venture out to any more appointments than absolutely necessary, with this Covid scare. I’ll be thinking of you, and hope you get feeling better!

• Deborah A

April 2, 2020 at 7:44 pm

@colleensteele,
    When did your son have his transplant? As a Mom that would be really scary, and your son too. It sounds like you are doing really well at keeping up with everything. I can understand missing the lab this month. It would be good if there was a set time the lab could give you to take him, before any other patients are there, to keep him safe. I hope you both take care.

• jen-cueva

April 3, 2020 at 12:52 pm

Hey @colleensteele, I have not been out for labs in a few weeks now. I am past due. I usually have labs at least every 2 weeks. I was told by my kidney doctor that I need to have them done within the next 2 weeks. He does not want me to wat. I will get the ones for my PH doctor done when I do go. This is the plan, anyway. But, as I sais, I am already behind. This is why they want me to go at least monthly, if possible. My hubby wants to ask if they can come to draw them, but I told him that it is just as bad. The HH nurses go in and out of homes.

• jen-cueva

April 3, 2020 at 12:54 pm

@brittany-foster, I am so sorry about the bladder pain. Those kidneys stones are no joke. As I said my hubby had them and thought that he was dying. Thinking of you and hoping that you can pass them soon and get some relief. Your poor body. I am sending you positive thoughts, vibes, and prayers.

• Brittany Foster

April 3, 2020 at 1:29 pm

@colleensteele absolutely ! Thank you so much for thinking of me. I got my results back from the lab after taking a urine culture and I didn’t have an infection. But the pain has been getting worse in my bladder area and it almost feels like really bad cramps in my abdomen. It started out as left back pain last Friday. I started with the back pain on the right side yesterday. I have two of them so I am just waiting for them to pass and I hope they don’t stay in the kidney causing the pain that they are and continuing to get calcified. Have you always passed yours, even if they were initially higher up?

• Brittany Foster

April 3, 2020 at 1:32 pm

@deboraha thank you so much! Yes, I think that an ultrasound of the bladder needs to be done soon too. Especially if I am continuing with the pain that is lower. Like I said to Colleen, I started with really bad pain in my back and on my left side and since Wednesday it has been travelling down. I have IC (interstitial cystitis) of the bladder. When I called my urogyn they said that kidney stones, even though mine is only a little over 4mm would cause my significant pain even more so because of the IC. I am hoping that the heat and the pain medication will help it feels less overwhelming with time. But I know for some people it can take a bit to actually pass them and when that happens it really is tough. Having 2 makes it even harder because I almost know what is coming for the other side 🙁

• Brittany Foster

April 3, 2020 at 1:34 pm

@jenc thank you for all your positive light ! It is really needed during this time. I am grateful that I do have pain medication as needed. My doctor PCP told me that I can take more as needed especially during this acute time of stress and pain in my body that is happening in my bladder. She said it is not usually common to get bladder pain with kidney stones, but my urogyn said otherwise because of my IC of the bladder. Just hoping that I get some relief soon too.

• jen-cueva

April 3, 2020 at 1:56 pm

@brittany-foster, I would think that with your bladder issues already, the kidney stones would exacerbate that. I am happy to hear that you can take the pain meds needed and more often. I hope that this all passes soon for you- LOL – Pun intended.

Joking aside, positive vibes, and prayers are always with you.

• Brittany Foster

April 3, 2020 at 2:00 pm

@jenc the added pun is great! I am going to post the “book club” post and see if anyone is interested and then we can do a new forum topic all together with each book that we decide on. I’ll see if anyone has ideas! Maybe we can put out a list of top books and start this in the next month or so but give people a chance to download the book onto kindle or their computers or get the book in the mail !

• Colleen

April 7, 2020 at 8:14 pm

@debraatkinson in August my son will be 6 years post heart and double-lung transplant. He will have a phone conference with his kidney doctor on the 17th and we will ask him what accommodations can be made so that we can get him caught up on labs.

• Colleen

April 7, 2020 at 8:22 pm

@brittany-foster unfortunately I’ve only managed to pass one of my stones, the rest needed surgery. I’ve had stones higher up before and as long as they weren’t hurting real bad, my doctor had me wait for them to at least lower if not pass. To be honest, I wish I asked him to just remove them and not wait because once they changed position the pain was awful and I ended up needing surgery anyway. But, just like PH, everyone’s kidney stone story can be different and hopefully you will pass yours.

• Colleen

April 14, 2020 at 2:42 pm

Well, my son can’t delay on his labs any longer. His blood pressure has gone up too high again which is usually a sign that his kidney’s are having issues. He will go in and have labs drawn on Thursday than go over results by phone with his doctor.

• Brittany Foster

April 15, 2020 at 7:41 am

@colleensteele good luck with your son! I am sure this is concerning for you because you are probably thinking , “If something shows up on the labs then what is the next step?” Whatever it is I really hope they are able to manage things outpatient for as long as possible as long as it keeps him safe. I am sure they have certain protocol at the hospital for transplant patients though so they minimize the chances of cross contamination even more so! Keep us updated on what the results show when you are able to! Best thoughts are with you both.