• Are You Superstitious?

Posted by Colleen on April 20, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Since my son was 8 he would keep the red hospital bands on his wrist until they would fall off. They reminded him that it is possible to get through tough times. He also liked to believe that the longer he could keep them on then the longer he might stay out of the hospital. The red bands were a symbol of luck and superstition to him. I wrote a bit about it in this week’s column.

Do you have any good luck charms or superstitions regarding your health and medical care?

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Dawn

April 20, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Hi, @colleensteele, although I didn’t wear my hospital bands after being discharged I have saved every one of them. I’m not totally sure why, but I think it’s to remind me that I got through that stay so I can get through another one if there is one. Unfortunately there has been another, and another, …. But I’m still here! My first time being admitted to the hospital was for a dvt and pulmonary emboli when I was 50 years old, but it’s been quite a decade medically since then!

Not strictly a medical/health good luck charm, but I find pennies all the time. I’ve read that it means that a loved one who has passed on is sending a penny to let you know they’re thinking of you. I take comfort in that because it happens so often, seemingly especially when I’ve got something happening medically.

I hope your son wears out every single band he may need, and has to wait a long, long, time for the next one.

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2020 at 9:16 am

@Colleen, I loved this column! I did watch that show, and it was fun and heartbreaking, but far from reality, I agree.

Like @Dawn, I started collecting my hospital bands, but just the last several years, that changed. I think after 10 plus years (at that time), I began to cut them up and throw them away.

I am hoping that Cullen has no more of those hospital bands for some time. I am sure he must have had an extensive collection. I thoroughly enjoyed this column! Thanks for sharing these stories with us. I love the fact that you share the pics, too.

• Brittany Foster

April 21, 2020 at 10:14 am

@colleensteele I don’t really have any when it comes to medical things. But, my boyfriend kept a wall of the guest badges that they printed out for him whenever he would visit me in the hospital LOL he just stuck them to his old wall at his mom’s house. It was actually kind of funny. I usually just cut my wrist band off the second I come back from the hospital. Lately, my nephew actually has been wanting to wear them and when he sees one on my wrist he knows that I have been in the hospital and always wants to know the reasons why and if I had any new “scars” to show him LOL he is too funny with seeing that stuff!

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2020 at 2:48 pm

@brittany-foster that is too funny. Your boyfriend(fiance) story reminded me of the days back when my hubby would save one of my “stickies” from my EKG. He would stick them to the back of his phone case. That ended quickly as it became too many. A few months ago, I found one just lying on our closet floor. Who knows which hospital stay it was from-Hehe.

I love the story about your nephew. That is so cute how he wants to know all about you. He is too cute!