Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies Are You Taking a Generic Form Of A Medication?

• Are You Taking a Generic Form Of A Medication?

Posted by Colleen on October 30, 2019 at 2:48 pm

Sometimes insurance will force a patient into using a generic form of a medication. Doctor’s might even prescribe a generic sometimes if they are aware of it costing less with no significant difference between that and the name brand.

My son often took generic treatments when he had PH and had no issue with them. They were as effective and the side effects were no better or worse. He is currently taking a few generic medications post-transplant as well. There is one immunosuppressant that requires notification to his doctor if he is switched to it because it can make a difference in his levels. This is the only time a generic brand has been of concern.

Do you take any generic brand medications and if so, what has your experience been? Do you have concerns with it or experienced any problems? Is it due to insurance reasons that you are taking the generic or was it a choice?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Brittany Foster

October 30, 2019 at 4:11 pm

This hasn’t really been much of a problem for me. I have used generic versions of antibiotics or topical creams and they both do the trick and get the job done. Sometimes the insurance doesn’t approve it through because the regular version is too expensive. But the others seem to work just as well and I can’t tell much of a difference.