• Battling PH and Cancer Together

Posted by Colleen on June 7, 2019 at 8:00 am

Many of us have heard well meaning people say, “Well, at least it’s not Cancer!”. People who declare this are obviously uneducated about Pulmonary Hypertension. We can debate and compare these two diseases until the cows come home, but what I think we would all agree on is that being diagnosed with both PH and Cancer would be devastating!

As scary as it sounds, this does happen. We have Cancer survivors among our PH family and I hope they will share their experience and give encouragement to those whose battle with PH and Cancer are just beginning.

Darla McCollim replied 1 year, 6 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

June 7, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Hi Colleen,
    This is a good topic. I know there are some members who have both cancer and PH. I wonder if people develop PH as a result of their cancer or if it’s something that they have been diagnosed with before their canced diagnosis. I am curious if the medications for cancer have an effect on the blood vessels in the body or create anything like plaque buildup? I personally know that when my grandma had cancer (non hodgkin’s lymphoma) after her treatments it started to impact her breathing and she would get more short of breath. It had an impact on her lungs too.

• jen-cueva

June 11, 2019 at 3:57 pm

Great topic, Colleen! Yes, I cannot even image dealing with PH AND Cancer , we do have several members who have tackled Cancer while dealing with PH! That’s awesome in itself, being a cancer survivor, even more awesome! Y’all are kicking butt!

I do often wonder if our meds could cause cancer, although I try not to think that. I do know many PHriends living with PH and Cancer.

I’ve been told by a few who are cancer survivors, that having PH was a huge part of deciding on their cancer treatment and plan of care. I’m wondering if those in our forums have/had that experience as well.

• Robin Webster

June 11, 2019 at 9:57 pm

I’d only been diagnosed with PH for approximately six months when I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. The most important thing for me in finding an oncologist was to find one who had treated a PH patient (and a patient with a pacemaker) before. I was fortunate to be able to find one. And I took every bit of strength I had to form the words to ask her if she had “successfully” treated any PH patients, because that was the real bottom line, wasn’t it? Fortunately for me, she said that yes, of course, she had! That made all the difference in my attitude going into it. For me, the type of chemo they would have chosen to best tackle the tumor wasn’t an option, because it had a much greater chance of damaging my heart. So they went with “Plan B.” There are so many different types, and more than one can prove successful, so they do have choices. My oncologist and oncology radiologist were based out of the same hospital and medical network as my PH cardiologist and my electrophysiologist, and that was important to me so they could all easily share information and be in contact at every stage. I won’t pretend it was easy, but I do stress that it is do-able. Here I am five years after the completion of my cancer treatment. It’s important to note that every single case is very different. But I am willing to lend an ear to anyone going through this and to answer any questions if I am able.

• Colleen

June 11, 2019 at 11:08 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience Robin! You never know how many lives you might touch by simply sharing your story. I’m sure people will benefit from your knowledge.

• Brittany Foster

June 12, 2019 at 7:33 am

Wow Robin,
      I cannot even imagine going through all of that and going having the stress of asking your doctor those difficult questions. I have had recent surgeries at hospitals within walking distance to my PH hospital and have surgeries at the PH hospital. It makes all the difference in the world to know that you are going to be monitored by your whole care team and that they are all there WITH a game plan for IF something were to happen. Just knowing that you are going to be looked at and taken good care of really helps ease the mind before going into something so major (especially something as life altering as what you went through). The trust has to be there in order for things to progress and for healing to begin. I hope that you have been on the right track since your treatments and that you are learning more about your body each day. I know I am always learning new things about my health, what I can and can’t tolerate, and that’s all part of it.

• jen-cueva

June 12, 2019 at 10:56 am

Robin, once again, your story is so inspiring and I am sure others can gain some hope as they read this! I cannot even begin to imagine the devastation this was so soon after your diagnosis of PH.

I agree that there has to be options as you mention, we are all so different but having a Plan B to go to is just as important. I also agree with you about questioning the Oncologist at the beginning, I find that if we let them know our expectations and ask the questions, we can better be involved in our own care, I mean, WE are the experts of our bodies.

Thanks for sharing.

• Jo Ann

June 26, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Or should PAH be called cancer? https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/5/182/182ec71. I have polycythemia Vera (bone marrow cancer) which probably caused PAH (group 5 cause), and after 1 year on experimental treatment to reactivate P53, my PAH seems to be resolved.

• Colleen

October 10, 2022 at 4:24 pm

@brendad53 I do remember you mentioning PV before but like @jenc I can’t remember under what topic that came up. @jamman25 mentioned her battle with it here so I thought it might prompt another discussion.

• Darla McCollim

October 11, 2022 at 2:45 pm

I was first diagnosed with PH in its early stages. Basically, when I played down my oxygen levels dropped. I understood it was treatable but eventually but not curable. 6 months later I had to have fluid drained from my lungs and chest tubes placed. From the pleural fluid we found out I had Primary Peritoneal cancer stage 4. Its treatable but not curable. My chemotherapy has led to several hospitalizations and complications. I just failed my second attempt at chemo because it wiped out my bone marrow. Just trying to coordinate my doctors so everyone is one the same page is daunting. BTW I also have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis which severely impacts my daily life and ability to function. I’m just proceeding one day at a time. Dealing with what comes at me the best I can.

I have often wondered if there is relationship between my idiopathic PH and my cancer because the often display in simular ways.