• Breathing exercises

Posted by solantis on November 6, 2018 at 1:30 am

Would breathing exercises where one takes a deep breath, keep it in and breath out slowly as taught in pilates help with PH or would it be putting more strain on the lungs?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • brittany-foster

November 6, 2018 at 10:55 am

Hi there,
    I think it would depend on the individual and their comfort level. For me personally, my lungs are restrictive so it is hard for me to take a deep breath in and also hard for me to hold my breath. I have heard that meditation type exercises or practice of meditation is better for me than the quick breathing or deep breathing. Definitely something to try butpay attention to your comfort level and I would ask your doctor before you start something! But I’m sure it could have some benefit especially benefit on anxiety and mental stress that goes along with this condition.

• judie

December 14, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I think we are all different and perhaps it is an individual question for our doctors. I do practice Pilates and I hold my breath for a brief pause before exhaling. If I feel it’s not good I just go on and let it out ahead of the class instructions. I am reading a book the science of breath which is about calming our nervous system through breath. I had done yoga for many years prior to my IPH diagnosis I basically due what feels natural but I also believe control of our breath can improve our health. Always, Always ask your doctor as each of our situations is different.
    Judie

• brittany-foster

December 17, 2018 at 11:13 am

So true Judie. Everyine is different when it comes to this. I actually lack proper control of breathing because I have a congenital condition of my central nervous system. I have something called congenital central hypoventilation syndrome so it’s hard for me to change my pattern of breathing and even difficult to take a deep breath in without the support of my vent machine. I do exercised AFTER using my vent therapy and with oxygen in and it helps a lot.