• Burning Sensation With Exercise?

Posted by Brittany Foster on December 12, 2018 at 12:47 pm

One of the symptoms that I experienced before I was given a proper diagnosis was burning pain upon exertion. This happened for me as far back as I could remember especially when I would skate on the ice in hockey. I would always get a burning pain when I tried to breathe in and the back of my throat would seem like I swallowed metal (almost like when you get a bloody nose and can taste it : GROSS!!!)

I usually do exercises that are low impact and not as much running or intense cardio. Some days it’s even hard for me to do the low impact workouts. During a video I was doing the other day, it had some jumping in it. I had to immediately stop because my chest felt restricted and I had a burning feeling down my throat and in my chest. When I stopped to rest and turned my oxygen up, it went away. I know doctors say that a certain amount of cardio is good, but once I started to pick up the pace and get my heart rate up, that’s when the burning happened.

What exercises have caused you discomfort and made you realize that you need to stop? Have you experienced a burning and tight sensation when trying to exercise? How did you get relief from this?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 12 months ago 7 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Libby

February 18, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Swimming and running give me major burn. Its especially bad when its cold outside. Sometimes it takes 30 mins after stopping the exercise before the burning goes away. I thought I was the only one that tasted blood during e exercise! I told my doctor and he thought I was crazy! Ha. Honestly I either stop exercising at that point or avoid exercise altogether.

• Brittany Foster

February 18, 2019 at 9:25 pm

I definitely would try to do some type of exercise with your doctors permission of course . Have you ever tried something like yoga with cardio or a pilates workout? If you can YouTube, check out yoga with Adrienne on her youtube channel. They’re all great videod. Also look up some low impact exercises. I would suggest watching the whole video first to see if its something you can do!

• Jimi Mcintosh

February 19, 2019 at 12:37 pm

I have a constant burning, sharp pain in right shoulder blade, since being diagnosed, physical therapy and nerve meds, pain meds do not help. The burning in the lungs and pain in the legs is probably due to a lack of oxygen. I still try to walk and stay busy, just get winded on inclines and steps. I know a new miracle drug is coming. My daughter had Lupus and she experienced the same symptoms

• Brittany Foster

February 19, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Jimi,
      these symptoms seem very unsettling especially because if you were to describe these symptoms to someone over the phone who wasn’t familiar with your history, I’m sure they would immediately be concerned for something like a heart attack. Especially with the shoulder pain and shortness of breath. I hope that a new medication will come out soon for you. I’m sure your doctor knows about these symptoms, correct?

• Judie

March 18, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Britany
      I too have to do low impact. When I get burning sensations I stop as I take the burning as my body telling me it doesn’t like what I’m doing.
      I do yoga, Pilates and weight training all of which I can control the impact and keep it low. My Pilate workouts have left me with sore worked muscles for 2 days so even though it is low impact it is not easy as I’m sure you know.
      I never was one that enjoyed high impact exercise although when I was younger I tolerated it better. They are finding that we don’t need the cardiac workout an$ should empasize strength training which can get your heart rate up reasonably.
      Judie

• Brittany Foster

March 19, 2019 at 8:17 am

Hey Judie,
        Strength training workouts are awesome !!! Even though I don’t necessarily pour sweat the way I used to with those high intensity cardio workouts, I feel the soreness and workout of the muscles that pilates and yoga give me and feeling that and knowing that I didn’t overwork myself past the point of exhaustion is always a great feeling.

• Gayle Ward

March 19, 2019 at 2:31 pm

I have also experienced chest burning and pain with exercise. After having a cardiac work up I felt safe working through the pain. My chest pressure improves after 5 minutes of exercise and doesn’t alarm me anymore.

• Brittany Foster

March 19, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Hi Gayle,
      I’m glad you found that peace of mind after being worked up for things. It is always helpful for me to know “why” something is occurring. If there is no reason for alarm then I just do what feels comfortable to me. What types of exercises do you enjoy doing and what works best for you and your symptoms?

• Libby

April 14, 2019 at 8:30 pm

I, too, experience the right sides sharp pain, especially after sex! It’s so strange. It goes into my upper arm. Mentioned it to my doctor few years back and he thought it sounded more like back pain? I don’t buy it. Horseback riding us my source of exercise, which i do many times per week. I like the idea of yoga but never stuck with it.

• Brittany Foster

April 15, 2019 at 9:31 am

Libby,
      I’m glad that you have an exercise and something that you like doing. I tried horseback riding when I was younger and my mom really wanted me to get into it because she owned a few horses when she was a kid and loved it. Needless to say, my feet felt so cold because it was a cooler day and I HATED every second of it because of that! I love horses though and think they are just so beautiful but as far as riding one, I’m too traumatized from my first experience hahahahaha ! I give you a lot of credit!

• VK

April 14, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Not burning but I get a shot-in-the-chest feeling when I do “normal people workouts” like high intensity cardio-kickboxing (which I absolutely love because I just like punching the air like that).

My pulmo said that the reason was the workout being too high intensity and possibly being dangerous. He said to limit stuff to something that only causes me to break a sweat and no more.

• Brittany Foster

April 15, 2019 at 9:33 am

VK,
      I LOVED kickboxing !!! It was one of my favorite workouts to do. When I was physically way more fit than I am now, it burned off so much steam and got out so much aggression. It’s a loss to not be able to do these things. I would find something and work with your doctor on what they think would be an appropriate exercise plan for you and channel that same energy into that. I know it’s not the same as a high intensity workout, but you can have the mindset of it being just as good !

• Ronaled Smith

April 29, 2019 at 9:34 am

I wanted to perform this exercise with full motivation but couldn’t perform immediately.

• Brittany Foster

April 29, 2019 at 9:48 am

So sorry to hear that ! What do you think was stopping you from doing it? Were you experiencing symptoms at the time before starting the exercise? It is always best for me personally to check in with how I’m feeling before I even begin an exercise routine. I usually check my heart rate throughout and make sure I’m well hydrated (even over hydrated) beforehand. Especially because exercise actually DROPS my blood pressure instead of raising it. It’s almost like my body sometimes does the opposite of what I want it to do.