Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Can I Have a Bit of Normalcy Without Fear?

• Can I Have a Bit of Normalcy Without Fear?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 4, 2020 at 2:53 pm

I have always been a “people person.” I am the hugger that probably annoys you as you run into me. But, I have noticed that living in self-isolation so long, this is not my norm. Fear has crept in, and I am fighting against it so hard. I will be able to hug my family and friends again.

Will I be able to have a bit of normalcy without fear after this pandemic? My column this week discusses that. Give it a read and let me know what your thoughts are.

Has this pandemic created more fear in you? Let’s talk about it.

Colleen replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Colleen

May 4, 2020 at 6:49 pm

@jenc first I want to say that the mask you are wearing in the picture is so pretty! I love the color!

I can very much relate to the feeling you shared in your column this week. I’ve notice an increase in anxiety whenever I have to go out somewhere. Today I was at a light when someone in a car in another lane started coughing…really coughing hard and loud. My heart started pounding and I rolled up my windows. Cullen was in the car with me which made it worse. Honestly, there was no way his cough could have reached us but it still made me panic.

Same when Cullen had labs last week and I had my own appointment to attend. I noticed I felt very tired afterward and I think it’s because I had an adrenaline rush going while out in public.

I’m so glad you got out and enjoyed some fresh air with your husband. I think as times goes by we will all figure out little tricks to maintain social distancing without stress. New norms all always so hard to adjust to.

• jen-cueva

May 5, 2020 at 8:25 am

Thanks, @colleensteele, my moma made me several masks and mailed them. Also, @drgnfly’s friend made me a few. I love one that she made; it is The Wizard of Oz! I will certainly have to share a pic when I wear that one, too.

Isn’t it crazy how our body automatically starts reacting to things like this in fear? I can certainly understand your concerns over that cough. I think that it is because there are so many unknowns of this virus, still today.

Funny when we did a drive to Galveston, hubby went in to use the restroom at a local Buc-cees. Usually, these are where we stop on any road-trips through Texas for clean bathrooms and yummy snacks. It was so crowded. I immediately said no, I would wait until I get home. I am hopeful that these fears will fade in time. I plan to speak with my therapist about these fears again today.

How is Cullen when y’all go out? Is he fearful, or does his young age help? I know he is an “old soul.”

• jimi-mcintosh

May 5, 2020 at 6:54 pm

This virus scare is similar to coming back home from the military, everything and everybody had changed and you can never really fit in. The old “normal” is not your “new normal”, it will take time to remove the uncertainty, the un-truths and learn to venture out without fear of disease. We must be prepared fear and aniexty to suddenly overcome you.

We are resilient and will overcome this like we did 9/11. I cannot deal with lies and half-truths. The medical providers will suffer from PTSD and burn-out. Normalcy will become anything that offers safety and security for you and your love ones.

• jen-cueva

May 6, 2020 at 1:03 pm

@jimi that is an interesting thought. I cannot even begin to imagine our troops coming back. I know with my hubby being in the Navy, those extended packs were tough. I certainly can see how you are comparing things, as this is all unfamiliar. In time all things change, and I can remember those days being anxious and scared of how things would be. Life on a ship with thousands of guys and a routine is much different than life on land.

But, you are right, we are all resilient and this too, we shall overcome. Thanks for your thoughts on this. It has offered an eye-opener.

• Colleen

May 6, 2020 at 7:42 pm

@jimi my husband, father and father-in-law were all in the military and I bet if I share your comparison with them they would very much agree. Personally, I feel emotional similarities between this virus experience and 9/11. This is why we should move on from tragedy but not forget, because you never know when you will need those previously learned survival strategies again.

How have you been feeling lately? Are you managing symptoms ok without being able to see your doctors?

• alfred-gronroos

May 10, 2020 at 6:44 pm

Hi from Arizona. What an interesting topic. I have thought it like my Viet Nam experience home coming. I believe we will never be the same especially those of us who feel more vulnerable. I go to a Senior center, even if I am a youngster, ha ha, how trusting can I be of others? Once and if we get vaccines it will be much better but until then I will be home bound. My father talked of the 1918 epidemic, there was/is a private cemetery where casualties were buried separate from others. I feel we are our own worst enemy. So many do not seem to take it as serious as I feel it is. Am I being too paranoid?

• jen-cueva

May 11, 2020 at 8:54 am

Hi @alfredjohn, I appreciate your feedback. You and several others say that this reminds you of coming home from war. What a scary feeling that must have been.

I, too, feel like some days I am “too paranoid.” Others, I remind myself that I am in that vulnerable population. I think that we must continue to protect ourselves, and that may look a bit paranoid to some.

As you mention, many do not take this seriously. I do think it was me that I would stay away from the senior center for some time. When you do decide to go back, you will still need to take precautions. I would say to do what you feel best for your sanity. I think that we can slowly go back into the world eventually. But, I agree that it will not be the same.

• Colleen

May 11, 2020 at 2:48 pm

@alfredjohn just this morning I watched a touching video of an elderly woman sharing her story of being born during an epidemic. She discussed how she survived it because people helped one another and shared compassion. Her message was that we will get past this and life will eventually return to normal. If I can find it again I will share it.

I also don’t think people are taking this epidemic seriously enough. I’m feeling anxious as more things are opening up and some are starting to gather a little too close together for my comfort. I share your paranoia and worry for the safety of my loved ones.