Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members Caregivers, What Are The Therapeutic Benefits of YOU Owing A Pet?

• Caregivers, What Are The Therapeutic Benefits of YOU Owing A Pet?

Posted by Colleen on January 21, 2022 at 8:11 pm

The therapeutic benefits of owning a pet or spending times with animals has been shared and discussed many times within the forums – but usually from the patients perspective. It has been my experience that animals can provide just as much emotional support to caregivers.

I discussed this in my recent column. Click the title to read: “Pets Can Help Care For The Caregiver“.

Caregivers and family members, how do your pets comfort you? Have they helped you through bad PH days and life’s ups and downs too?

Colleen replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jen-cueva

January 24, 2022 at 1:07 pm

I love this column in many ways, @colleensteele. You shared how your family pets rely on you and the benefits and love between a pet and its owners.

Sasha has been such a calming part of our lives. She missed me, and I missed her unconditional love and support, too. I remember walking in the door after my COVID hospitalization and Sasha crying and almost knocking me down.

In one of my early columns, I shared how Sasha saved me. I will link that here in case anyone wants to read it, too.

Pets are used in nursing homes and hospitals as therapy. I’ve seen them work wonders on patients of all ages.

• Colleen

January 24, 2022 at 5:35 pm

Thank you @Jen. I am so happy that you have your sweet little Sasha. Think about what else our fur babies do for us…they give us something heartwarming to write about!

@jenc forgot to add the link to the column she wrote about Sasha. Here it is:

The Secret Life of Sasha and How She Saved Me 

• jen-cueva

January 25, 2022 at 4:26 pm

Aww, thanks again, @colleensteele, for adding that important link. You are such a saving grace. What would I do without you?

Yes, they give us plenty to do, including loving them and writing about them, that’s for sure.

I thought of @traceyaustralianmigration-co-za when I was typing just now and her love of her fur baby.

• Colleen

January 25, 2022 at 4:30 pm

@jenc it is such a heartwarming column so I wanted to make sure everyone gets a chance to read it. I love the bond you and Sasha have!