• Checking in after procedure

Posted by Brittany Foster on April 27, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Hi everyone !

I am so sorry that I have been absent since Wednesday. There has been a lot going on and I have been feeling a little overwhelmed by it all sometimes. It helps me so much to be able to come on here and chat with everyone and I know that there are so many of you who truly care. I had my port placed surgically on Wednesday. What is usually a less than 30 minute procedure turned into a 2 hour long surgery. I went in at 9:15 and didn’t wake up until about 12:30 and they said it took a little longer than expected. Unfortunately, a bigger incision had to be made into the muscle near my shoulder to place the double port. The port itself is about the size of my pacemaker and I experienced similar pain and soreness compared to the pacemaker placement.

I have been doing my best with moving as much as possible during the day and trying to get some of the fluid retention off of my body without having to use lasix and risk dehydrating myself. The port has been working fine and I get it accessed for the first time tomorrow so I am a little worried about that but I heard that it gets easier each time.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 12 months ago 8 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Carol alexander

April 27, 2020 at 5:07 pm

Oh Brittany I hope you are feeling better I didn’t know what you were going through Love and prayers
    Carol A

• Dawn

April 27, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Hi Brittany. I hope this procedure makes things much better/easier for you long term. Look toward that while you get through this healing phase. Thoughts and prayers to you, sending wishes for an impressively smooth first access to the new port tomorrow. Take extra good care.

Dawn

• Brittany Foster

April 28, 2020 at 6:11 am

@carol-alexander and @dawnt thank you so much for the good wishes. It does help a lot to always have such good support here and genuine care. The last few nights have been terrible with burning pain in my chest, especially after drinking something or trying to eat anything. I am mostly using TPN nutrition through the catheter for nutrition but still take some by mouth during the day. The pain has kept me up 2 nights in a row now and it has been really hard to get through the day in one piece after not enough sleep. Hoping they can figure out what is going on. Going to make some calls to my PCP and local GI person in my state

• Carol alexander

April 28, 2020 at 7:29 am

Iam so sorrow you are having such a hard time I to have experience blinding pain sleepiness nites and missable days hope it ends soon you will get through this
    Hugs and prayers Carol A

• jen-cueva

April 28, 2020 at 11:42 am

@brittany-foster, I am happy to see you here as I know others are, too. We want you to rest and know that we are always here for support.

I hope that your first access goes well today. I am sure that brings up some anxieties, too. But once that is completed, you should have a bit of a relief as afar as anxieties.

My heartaches as I know that you have suffered horrible pain since the surgery. I am hopeful that you could rest better last night. Wishing you all of the positive vibes and sending you big hugs from Texas. Please take care of yourself and offer patience and kindness as you provide so many of us here. We love you.

• Carol Volckmann

April 28, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Hey Brittney, First it is do good that you were up to letting us know how you are. My heart breaks for you that you have had to put up with so much. Your procedure sounds like it should make it better for you. I hope you can get some answers from your team as to why you are in such pain. You know how much we all support and love you and so admire your inner strenght to help you get over this hurdle. Lots of positive thoughts snd energy. And big very gentle hugs!

• Brittany Foster

April 28, 2020 at 2:37 pm

@jenc @carol-alexander @cdvol3gmail-com Thank you all so much! The pain is a little bit better in the shoulder thankfully but the past few night I have been dealing with heartburn that is uncontrollable. I haven’t had much sleep because of it. I barely eat so I know it doesn’t have anything to do with the food that I’m eating. I am unsure why all of a sudden it is so bad and the reflux has been even worse. Just hoping that there aren’t any tears from the intubation with the surgery because I know sometimes that happens. I have put in a call to the GI docs that are local so maybe they will want to do some images. I will keep you updated.

• jen-cueva

April 28, 2020 at 3:55 pm

@brittany, I am happy to hear that some of the shoulder pain is decreased. I am sorry to hear about the reflux. You already take meds for this, correct?

I hope and pray that you did not develop any tears from the intubation. Please keep us posted if you have tests and speak more with your GI team. Hugs and prayers are coming your way from Texas.

• Colleen

April 28, 2020 at 7:20 pm

It’s always so good to hear from you @brittany-foster! 2 hours is a long surgery for a port. I’m so sorry but at least they didn’t give up on placing it. It will hopefully do it’s job and be well worth the time and discomfort. I hope the first access went well.

I’m sorry about the additional GI problems. When it rains it pours. Feel better soon! Big cyber hugs!

• Jimi Mcintosh

April 29, 2020 at 5:26 pm

Glad to hear that you have this procedure behind you. Pray that this works for you

• Carol alexander

April 29, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Glad to hear your pain is better hope their aren’t any tears either
    Hugs Carol A

• Alfred Gronroos

April 29, 2020 at 9:04 pm

Brittany – you are one strong amazing woman. I do not like that you have so much suffering in your life.But I have no magic or wisdom I can do to help you. I do wish you the best. Brittany I am glad you are on this forum. You share a lot of inspiration and hope to all of us. Al

• jen-cueva

April 30, 2020 at 9:29 am

You all are so kind and supportive. I know that Brittany appreciates this as she recovers. I agree, @alfredjohn, she is one strong woman.

We love you, Brittany, and thinking of you as you heal from this surgery.