• Posted by Brittany Foster on April 18, 2019 at 12:44 pm

I feel like with the Easter holiday coming up and people being off from work or on vacations, the forums tend to be a little slower. But I wanted to see how our members were doing and check in with you all. I always love hearing from you, reading your updates, and love the connections and friendships I have made on here.

For my life update, I FINALLY have a date for my surgery. It will be May 13th. I will be getting surgery on my aorta and moving the position of my esophagus. I was born with a congenital defect called a circumflex aorta vascular ring and as I have been growing it has been compressing the esophagus. I haven’t been able to eat since right before Thanksgiving! I have been getting nutrients through a feeding tube placed in my stomach. These past few months have honestly been so difficult but I am happy to say that there is a “light at the end of the tunnel” . I am in great hands with these surgeons. I am SOOOOO looking forward to be able to eat again even though I know it will take some time and therapy! But I will get there 🙂

How has everyone been? What are your life updates? Anything positive to share or just need to vent about what you are going through? Would love to hear from you all!

Brittany Foster replied 5 years ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Kathleen Sheffer

April 18, 2019 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for explaining your defect and what the surgery will do – I have been a bit fuzzy on it. I keep telling my friends and family about how amazing you are and how you haven’t been able to eat for months, but I didn’t know enough to explain why (that’s probably on me – I will remember this time). I’m so glad you have a surgery date and can have it done non-invasively!

My mental health has suffered recently with multiple friends dying of cancer, anniversaries of other friends’ passings, and other life stressors (I wrote about this last week). My boyfriend has been a trooper through panic attacks and incoherent sobbing and I finally feel like I’m on the mend.

I’m consolidating my commitments so I can feel more productive and less overwhelmed by how much I need to get done each day. The weather is getting nicer and I’m enjoying the sunshine, as well as outdoor exercise. Hoping to do a big hike with my parents this weekend!

• Brittany Foster

April 20, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Hey girl!
      It’s great to hear that your boyfriend is so supportive and understanding. It can be so hard to be having a hard time mentally especially because without talking about it, nobody would really know all the pain you’re going through on the inside. That’s what has always been hard about mental illness in my own life is gettin people to understand that just because I may “seem okay” doesn’t mean I am mentally okay. I’m glad you have people in your life who support you and just know I’m always a phone call away too if you ever need to vent. I’ve had my share of breakdowns and I get how much it means to just have someone listen. Hope the weather stays nice and you can get out for a walk or something fun. It has been raining in RI and should be rainy for the rest of the week which leaves me more in the house and trying to stay busy with distractions! Hope you enjoy your weekend and text me any time too! Xo

• Wilma Doan

April 22, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Wilma here. Happy to hear you will soon be enjoying food again Brittany. I wish you the very best.
      I have finally started with 1 mg of Adempas Am looking forward to good things happening. So far – so good. I may be having some slight side effects but barely noticeable. Thank goodness I do have fairly good tolerance to those things. My blood pressure did drop for a few days last week but that was expected. I read that when arteries flatten out the pressure is reduced. This week will probably be graduating to 2 mg.

I was hoping the doctor would say I didn’t need oxygen any more at night but that didn’t happen. He said I needed more so am getting more. Now tis all day and all night.

Hope to hear from others successes on Adempas.

Wilma

• Brittany Foster

April 22, 2019 at 1:18 pm

Hi Wilma,
        I’m sure there are many that have had success with Adempas and I’m glad that you are tolerating things as well as you can right now! I know sometimes the titration process can be a lot, but it sounds like you have a pretty good tolerance to medications. Is this the first medication that the doctors have tried you on or have you been on others before trying this? Looking forward to hearing more about how it’s going. Please keep us updates because I’m sure there are others who are in the same boat as you! Thinking of you!

• Jimi Mcintosh

April 23, 2019 at 10:51 am

I am so happy that you have light at the end of the tunnel. Your spirit is positive and you have a great medical team. Praying for your healing

• Brittany Foster

April 23, 2019 at 11:14 am

Thank you Jimi. I am grateful to be in the right hands !! I am hoping for a speedy recovery but will give myself a break knowing that it might be a long process. Taking it slower is usually better for my healing and trying not to push myself too much before the surgery. How have you been doing ? Any recent updates?