Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Transplantation Checking In On Our Listed Members And Transplant Recipients

• Checking In On Our Listed Members And Transplant Recipients

Posted by Colleen on March 19, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Just a reminder that we have several members listed for transplant or going through the process and a few who are recipients. We are here to support you through both PH and transplant. Share updates, ask questions or express concerns.

How is everyone doing? For those going through the process, let us know when you become listed. For those listed, let us know (when you feel up to it) when you receive a transplant. @bill-jones @exjarhead57730 how are you both doing since your transplants?

My son is doing well. He will celebrate 7 years post in August.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 9 months ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 14, 2021 at 9:29 am

I just wanted to stop by because as I came on this morning, @exjarhead57730 was on my mind. I hope this means that you are out doing all the things you couldn’t do before transplant, Steve. But I am hoping that you and @bill-jones are doing well post-transplant.

If you have a minute, we would like a brief update from you both.

• Steve Sallee

April 14, 2021 at 10:20 am

Doing fantastic after transplant. I am enjoying a new lease on life. No oxygen at all. Even my libido has come back but I haven’t found anyone yet. It was quite an ordeal but it was worth all the pain. I contacted my donor’s family to let them know I much I appreciate this gift but I have not heard back. I knew I was going to be ok when I woke up and the nurse wasn’t wearing a red suit. I could breathe better immediately. Thanks for asking.

• Colleen

April 14, 2021 at 1:01 pm

@exjarhead57730 is so great to hear from you and how well you are doing! I’m so happy for you! It is quite an ordeal and there is a lot of pain, but when you push through it eventually it feels so worth it.

I remember the first time Cullen turned to me and said, “OK, transplant was worth it!”. We were at the ocean with his friends. He was walking the boardwalk and keeping up with them, not getting out of breath when laughing and just having a carefree fun time.

It’s nice that you wrote to the donor family. Sometimes they don’t write back but it doesn’t mean the letter didn’t mean the world to them.

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2021 at 1:36 pm

Wow, Steve, @exjarhead57730, so happy to read this update from you! You made my day.

I certainly can only imagine how difficult the road has been for you, so you deserve to enjoy it! I know that post-transplant comes with it’ own rules.

I love that you are enjoying those new lungs. The story that @colleensteele shares about her son, Cullen, is awesome, too. These stories make my heart happy.

About the libido, that is a plus; I am sure you will find someone in time. What about that old car of yours?

Writing about your donor’s family was so kind and thoughtful. I have known a few that have responses, and some prefer no connection. But as Colleen mentions, I am sure that does not mean the letter did not mean anything. If they do respond, I hope that you will update us.

Don’t get too busy and forget us, lol We care for you and want updates, even if short.

• Steve Sallee

April 16, 2021 at 10:08 am

I am back working on my old car. Nice to be able to work on it without having to stop every 5 minutes to get back to breathing. Its actually what it was intended to be now, fun instead of a chore.

• jen-cueva

April 16, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Awesome, @exjarhead57730. I know that was one of the top projects that we discussed you wanted to do post-transplant. Now, you are doing it! So cool, I am happy for you. I know that is enjoyable, and you will be done with it before you know it.

• Colleen

April 16, 2021 at 4:08 pm

That is so great to hear @exjarhead57730! May life just keep getting better for you…including finding a special someone in your future.

• jen-cueva

July 1, 2022 at 12:56 pm

It’s been some time, and I wanted to check in with some of our transplanted members. How are y’all doing adjusting to post-transplant life? What has been your biggest challenge?

Thinking of ya’ll @bill-jones and @exjarhead57730. What have y’all been up to lately?

• Steve Sallee

July 1, 2022 at 1:49 pm

Doing great. Finished my car and am starting another. It’s been a year and a half now. I’m sure I would not be here now had I not gotten the transplant. Retired now and living in Nebraska in the middle of nowhere. No wokeness here. Just me and the wildlife.

• Colleen

July 1, 2022 at 5:49 pm

@exjarhead57730 it’s wonderful to hear from you and it sounds like you couldn’t be happier! I’m so happy for you!

• jen-cueva

July 5, 2022 at 10:19 am

Hi @exjarhead57730, that’s incredible that you finished your car. You also sound like you are exactly where you need to be. At least the wildlife will keep you company, hehe.

What type of car are you working on now? Keep on doing what you enjoy; thanks for the update. Take care.