• Posted by Colleen on August 23, 2019 at 1:08 pm

We all know how quickly time passes and before you know it we are going to reach the cold and flu season. It was always stressful when my son caught a cold because he was limited to what we could safely take to treat it. What has your doctor approved and/or recommended when you have caught a cold in the past? What are the big NO’s that you know of in treating a cold if you have PH?

October is the best time to receive a flu shot. As we get closer to October I will do a reminder post with information.

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

August 23, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Colleen,
    I always get my pneumonia shot and flu shot as early as possible . Usually my PCP office lets me know when it is first available and just MAKES me get it . I am such a baby when it comes to “little shots” like this but can take getting an IV no problem at all LOL so strange the things I cringe at and the things I am totally fine with. But as far as the “no no” medications for me are medications like have a PM component to it or a decongestion component. This is because the things that are PM and help other’s go to sleep actually will slow respiration down and with someone with central apnea this could be really dangerous for me. The D after medications like Mucinex D , Sudafed – D etc have an arrythmia risk to them and I can’t take those either because of sinus node disease which I have my pacemaker for. I stick to things like Robitussin (just general brand) for colds and when I have chest pain that is severe I use Robitussin with Codeine which I also have to be careful with because of slowing respiartion. But it DOES help when the pain from coughing is too severe.

• Colleen

August 23, 2019 at 5:12 pm

Brittany, ditto for my son to everything that you said, including post transplant. Do you know what I did last winter? I made sure everyone in the house got their flu shot but forgot to get mine! We all have to get the flu shot because of my son. I didn’t realize until I got sick that I never got mine! I still can’t believe that I did that.

I think we all have little things that bother us more medically speaking. Maybe the flu shot is a memory from childhood that still makes you dread it to this day?

My son hates the nose swabs that have to do sometimes…the ones with the long sticks. If they have to do both nostrils he has them do both at the same time. That makes me cringe but he said he just likes to get it over quickly.

• Brittany Foster

August 23, 2019 at 5:32 pm

I know the nose swabs you’re talking about!!! Anything with the nose and even nasal spray bothers me so much! Just one thing I really do NOT like messed with. Even though I had a nose ring in high school hahahaha! The things we do and laugh about considering I hated anything in my nose but loved my nose ring. You’re right though that getting flu shots is important for significant others and the whole family. Really for anyone who has contact with me on a regular basis.

• jen-cueva

August 23, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Oh, yea, Colleen! It’s almost that time of year. I’ve already received a reminder from my PH doctor to be sure I get my flu shot. I usually get mine in late September.

As Brittany says, I cannot take anything with DM, PM, or even D on it. I usually take Tylenol, plain Robitussin, or Tessalon Perles when the cough gets too bad.

The pain from coughing is unbearable At times. I’ve also cracked my ribs from coughing on several occasions. Have y’all experienced this?

Oh, those nasal swabs are horrible. I don’t think anyone enjoys those, it’s so quick, too.

I like your idea to post a reminder later for those who may need it.

• Brittany Foster

August 24, 2019 at 11:54 am

Jen,
      I am WINCING at the cracked ribs comment. AHHH you poor thing, that must have felt absolutely awful! This last bout of pneumonia I had, they said that I was having pleural pain which was related to the inflammation that was happening. Makes a lot of sense. I am still taking the cough syrup with pain medications in it just to help ease the discomfort through the day. It’s actually AFTER all the coughing has happened and it is settled down that I really feel the pulls and damage that was done. That’s usually how it is with me. Even right after surgeries I don’t experience as much pain because my body is still in a shock but days later I am like WOAH WHAT IS HAPPENING!?

• Carol alexander

August 24, 2019 at 12:46 pm

I know all about those nasal swabs ugh. Always gets flu shot but get the flue not bad I really don’t no I have it I just happen to feel a little under the weather but I got it one time and landed in hospital that is when the bells should have gone off found out latter i was being dosed with loads of prednisone.

• jen-cueva

August 24, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Oh no, Carol! Are you saying, they administered prednisone(steroid) shot instead of the flu shot? That is horrible and definitely a medical error, on your doctor’s office. I’m sorry you had that negative experience due to their negligence.

• Brittany Foster

August 26, 2019 at 6:04 am

Carol,
      The flu is definitely not something to mess around with and it really puts you down for the count for awhile. I had it once in my life and I DID have the flu shot but I actually ended up with the flu WITHOUT any symptoms of the flu but the virus gave me meningitis. I was in the hospital for almost a full month and don’t recall about 3 months of my life. It was horrific.

• jen-cueva

August 26, 2019 at 9:10 am

Carol and Brittany, I definitely agree that the flu for us with PH is nothing to mess with! I am sure that I’m up to date on my flu and pneumonia shots.

As Brittany explains one tough experience, as she developed meningitis. This can be fatal.

It’s a simple flu shot to try and help prevent the flu. I know your negative experience @carol-alexander, maybe left you discouraged. I’m hoping that you’ve changed doctors since then. Your PCP office or even most pharmacies can administer the flu shot. Don’t take any chances.

• Brittany Foster

August 26, 2019 at 4:56 pm

Jen,
        It was awful. It was explained to me that because my immune system was so low at the time the flu virus just went right to my spine and brain (the WORST places it could have gone) . I didn’t have any flu symptoms besides the worst headache of my life and that’s the last thing I remember before passing out in the hallway where I used to teach.

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2019 at 7:48 am

Brittany, my heart breaks for you. I am sorry that you had to deal with such a traumatic experience. I can’t begin to imagine the devastation that experience left on your health, mental and physical. I’m sure that you are scarred from that traumatic experience as well.

You never seem to amaze me, your stories continue to lift and inspire me as well as others. Although, some stories are heartbreaking to read.

I think that receiving the flu shot is something simple that we can commit to each year. Honestly, that little shot is nothing in comparison to most other rests and procedures we go through. Although, like yourself, I’m not a fan of shots, hehe.