Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Transplantation CONGRATULATIONS Steve Sallee!

• CONGRATULATIONS Steve Sallee!

Posted by Colleen on January 12, 2021 at 2:09 pm

I’m re-sharing Steve’s post here because I want to make sure everyone got to see it. @exjarhead57730 received his transplant. Please take a moment to congratulate him!

Message from Steve…

Just wanted to let you know I have been transplanted. Pain was excruciating for first four days. When they got it under control, I got up and walked and haven’t stopped since. I am alive and breathing like 30 years ago.

Thanks. All who have been in contact with me have helped in every way. This forum and people like you have been invaluable. In 1982, Ronald Reagan stood in front of a battalion of Marines (myself one) and said “some people nearing the end of their lives wonder if they have made a difference. You will never have that problem”. I extend that to all of you. Thanks again, -Steve

Debbie Moore replied 1 year, 2 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • jen-cueva

January 12, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Wow, much congrats to you, @exjarhead57730! I am so happy for you. This must be surreal for you to experiencing after 30 years! I hope the pain stays at a level that you can bear.

Thank you for your heartfelt words; that is so sweet. Well, sir, let me remind you, you have certainly made a difference. Thanks again for your service and your thoughtful post.

I hope and pray that you can now enjoy whatever you have been missing out on. What was the first thing you wanted to do after the transplant? Besides, breathing, I should say. e, my day!

-Hugs from Texas; this made my day!

• Steve Sallee

January 12, 2021 at 9:50 pm

Thank you all. The first thing I am going to do when I get back home is finish my 1971 Pontiac Lemans. I have decided to close my repair business (COVID) and semi-retire. Now that I have received a new lease on life I want to make the best of it. To me, my donor was in combat right beside me and saved my life. I have all of the donor info. I plan to wait a month to allow the family to properly grieve and I will then make contact and let them know what their loved has done for me. I will make sure that they know they can either continue to correspond with me or leave it as is and grieve as they see fit. I will never take for granted what has been given to me. Semper Fi -Steve

• jen-cueva

January 13, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Wow, @exjarhead57730, this was so emotional for me to read. My eyes and heart are both overflowing.

I am so excited that you can work on finishing your cool car! I also can understand why you want to close your business repair shop. How many years have you had it?

I respect how you honor the donor”s family. You are one amazing man. I know that they will be happy that the lungs were donated to such an honored man.

Congrats again, and please don’t leave us hanging. We want to support you post-transplant, too. You will have so many “Weekly. Wins” to share, I bet. I am so excited for you.

• Steve Sallee

January 13, 2021 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I have been in business for 11 years. Time to throttle back and enjoy life for a change. -Steve

• jen-cueva

January 13, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Yes, @exjarhead57730, I would agree. It is time to enjoy your life and do all that you were unable to do before. I bet you are excited to finish that Pontiac LeMans.

I cannot even imagine the emotions when taking that first full breath after transplant. How would you describe that for you?

• Steve Sallee

January 13, 2021 at 9:18 pm

Well, the first thing was knowing I had made it through (20 hrs of surgery) alive. I said “oh, good” to the first nurse that passed in front of me. She said “yes, you did great”. I told her that I was especially gratified that she was not wearing a red suit and no horns on her head.
    Hard to describe the first breaths except maybe stepping out of a time capsule. The 20 mile hikes came flooding back as well as the formation runs. I spent the first hours just lying there breathing without effort. Have not had O2 on since. The rest will come after I resume my life.

• jen-cueva

January 14, 2021 at 11:43 am

Wow, that is profound, @exjarhead57730! I love that you kept your humor through that extremely long surgery.

I am guessing so many different emotions are flowing through your mind and still. What a beautiful blessing, and it sounds like you are planning to put those new lungs to work ASAP. I am so happy for you and can feel your excitement through your posts.

We are here and will always be here for your post-transplant stories!

• Karla Stutsman

January 14, 2021 at 2:37 pm

Congratulations Steve. I had PAH since 2006 and received my double lung transplant February 1, 2020. Good luck with all. You certainly can email me if you have any questions!

• V.R. Peterson

January 14, 2021 at 3:17 pm

Congratulations, @exjarhead57730! I’m praying for a speedy and complete recovery for you! ????

• Colleen

February 14, 2023 at 8:25 pm

Today was “National Donor Day” so I thought I would check-in on our transplant recipients. How are you doing @exjarhead57730?

• jen-cueva

February 15, 2023 at 2:38 pm

Hi @exjarhead57730, how’s that Pontiac restoration going? I hope you are doing everything you were looking forward to post-transplant.

• Debbie Moore

February 17, 2023 at 12:20 pm

Congratulations @exjarhead57730! No more O2.  That alone is a blessing, one I pray for every day.  May you be blessed with this new breath of fresh air!!