• Posted by Libby on December 14, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Good evening everyone – I’ve noticed some pretty dark circles developing over the last week or so around my eyes and some wrinkles. I’m only 26 years old. They are definitely new. I’m wondering if this is from chronically low oxygen taking its toll or something else. I’ve got some spare iron supplements on hand that i might take and see if they go away. In the past I’ve been tested for iron deficiency as it runs in my family and my levels were normal but that was about 3 or so years ago.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sally Hoffman replied 3 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Colleen

December 15, 2020 at 2:40 pm

@libby great topic but I’m sorry you are experiencing this. I’m just guessing that oxygen levels can contribute to dark circles, that and constant discomfort, lack of sleep and the stress of the disease. I could always tell when my son was having a rough PH week because he would get very dark around the eyes too. That’s when I would tell him he needs to rest. How are you doing in that regard? Are you getting the rest you need? I know it’s hard but you need to try.

I have struggles with an iron deficiency many times in my life. It could play a part in the dark circles. Just a suggestion, but I would ask your doctor if you could have some lab work to check before you take any Iron supplements. I say this only because they can be hard on the stomach and you don’t want to risk irritating your tummy on top of everything else if it isn’t necessary.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

• Valerie

March 18, 2021 at 1:38 pm

Hello!
    Unfortunately, I only just noticed this topic. I think that dark circles under the eyes (I always have them, by the way) – like blue nails or cyanosis of the lips. Surely these are just vulnerable places that did not get the right amount of oxygen. But I do not know about the connection between dark circles and iron in the body. I have high hemoglobin. Perhaps this means that the iron is normal?

• Douglas Knuth

March 18, 2021 at 4:14 pm

Hello Libby, I have PAH, diagnosed with it almost 9 years ago, but was sick with other things for about 20yrs prior to my PAH diagnosis. I read your post about the dark circles question. And I found that most of the search engine general answers speak about fatigue, genetics, skin thinning that allows the blood vessels below to show thru, etc. But then I searched on PAH causing dark circles and found this information from right here on this site, written by Brittany Foster about a year ago. Here is the link https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2020/02/21/subtle-signs-skin-nails-health-supplemental-oxygen-bipap/ I too have most all the visible signs, bluish lips, darkness around the eyes, face is pale at times, swelling, SOB, anemic etc. I am 65 years old, I would expect at my age to see these issues. But at any age it is disconcerting (to say the least) to see ourselves not in the best of condition. I was about 37 when I started having serious health issues and I know how it has affected my life. I hope that you are able to keep a positive attitude about yourself & your future which hopefully may be many many years. For me, it’s been a process over the years to adjust to my various medical ailments. But keep in mind it’s not what we look like on the outside so much as it’s the attitude we take to keep on enjoying life the best we can each day. Some days suck I know, but hopefully during your lifetime a cure for PAH will be found. Hope I didn’t ramble on too much. Have a great day.

• Sally Hoffman

March 18, 2021 at 4:28 pm

Hi Libby, I am 79 and have been diagnosed with PAH for 2 1/2 years. I never used to have dark circles, but in recent times I’ve noticed intermittent dark circles. They seem to appear when I’ve had a bad day, tired, etc. When I feel better they go away. My iron is high. So it seems to me Colleen is on to something about needing rest. Good luck.