Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2022 Day 2 of #30DaysofPH: How PH Prepared Me For Another Medical Challenge

• Day 2 of #30DaysofPH: How PH Prepared Me For Another Medical Challenge

Posted by Kevin Schaefer on November 3, 2022 at 8:00 am

Perry Mamigonian thought that after living with PH for ten years, he could handle any challenge. Then he discovered a large tumor on his pituitary gland’s frontal lobe in 2019.  Though Perry had to confront this new diagnosis, he sought to remain calm.

Here’s an excerpt from his story, “My recovery was difficult, but PH also taught me to face challenges in ways I was ill-prepared for when diagnosed in 2009. I hope no one with PH has to experience other health problems. If so, may they also find that living with PH helps in meeting any challenge life throws at us.”

Read the full story here.

Have you ever been in a situation like Perry’s? How did you manage?

Pulmonary Hypertension News’ 30 Days of PH campaign will publish one story per day for PH Awareness Month in November. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #30DaysofPH, or read the full series.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • jen-cueva

November 3, 2022 at 3:46 pm

I love how you mention that ten years with PH taught you how to handle life’s challenges better when they come your way. I agree with @mrperry009, as I know almost 18 years with PH, and I’ve to process things in life better. Well- most days.

There should be a rule that once one has one rare and chronic diagnosis, they are not allowed to have any others. It should be like, nope, he’s exempt; he already has PH.

Thanks for sharing your PH journey Perry. I know you are grateful for your lovely wife, Susie.

• Bridget Reddy

November 3, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Hi Leslie. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have right sided heart failure pulmonary lung clots left from previous bouts of pneumonia and have tons of nodules and crystals in my lungs. I’ve asked my doctor about cancer he doesn’t think it is but doesn’t know. Did you have certain symptoms??  He really won’t check me out but when you do a chest X-ray you cant see through my lungs you have to get a ct scan. Just wondering?!?

• Perry Abet Mamigonian

November 3, 2022 at 9:26 pm
      • Hi Jen Cueva, thanks for your kind words. Yes, I wish life was fair and spared all patients from having to deal with multiple health issues. I wouldn’t say that PH made me stronger, but perhaps wiser. Blessings to you and Manny.
      • jen-cueva

November 4, 2022 at 3:49 pm

Hi @mrperry009, so true; maybe we will become wiser with PH and age. No, I’m not calling us, okay, just wiser, hehe.

But I believe PH has made you strong because I think of you as a strong man. Maybe you were strong before PH, too?

Thanks for your blessings. Enjoy your weekend with Susie, Perry. Hugs and love to you both; what a strong couple!

• jen-cueva

November 3, 2022 at 3:55 pm

Hi @leslie, I moved your reply here so others can read it when they read Perry’s 30 Days of PH story. If you hit “reply” on top of the post box, it will be ready for you to respond. That makes it easier, and you don’t need to create a new topic post. I deleted the old one you shared in your response to this post.

Leslie says,

“I have Scleroderma with PAH, both of which were difficult diagnosis, which did prepare me to hearing bad news, but also contributed to early stage lung cancer, diagnosed early this year. At first I did not think it such a ‘grave’ diagnosis, having already received news of very serious and life-threatening conditions. Several doctors also reassured me that it could be easily treated. And that’s were the parallel to Kevin’s post ends. I had one round of chemotherapy that nearly killed me and continue living with untreatable cancer and PAH”

• Perry Abet Mamigonian

November 10, 2022 at 8:22 pm

Hi Jen,

I am humbled by your kind words… I don’t think of myself as strong, and knowing my faults certainly was not before PH. But diagnosis opened me up to learning more about life (and not just PH).  Hopefully it has made me a better person.

I read your story about Catalinia and am deeply moved. I met her just a few times at support groups and Susie actually went to high school with her. I think of the close friends we’ve lost and try to embody their best qualities to honor them.

Peace and best wishes always.

Perry

• jen-cueva

November 11, 2022 at 2:23 pm

Hi @mrperry009, I didn’t realize that Susie went to high school with Catalina, such a small world. I thought you both only knew her from the PH community. Thanks for your kind words about that story. Yeah, we have lost too many. But like you, I think of them as I continue to PHight for a cure.

Aww, you certainly are strong. Like you, PH has opened my eyes to everything in life and life in general. Isn’t it funny how that happens? I know my PH diagnosis has changed me, but like you, I hope for the better.

Have a great weekend with your beautiful wife, Perry. It’s supposed to be a lovely weekend with sunshine! 😀

• Colleen

November 4, 2022 at 3:01 pm

@mrperry009 I appreciate how willing you always are to jump right in and share your PH journey. I’m glad you chose this particular leg of it to write about because so many with PH are either already dealing with additional medical challenges or sadly, might be faced with them in the future.

I wouldn’t wish PH on anyone but when it is a part of your life you might as well take the lessons you can learn from it and put them to good use.

I’m sorry you had to face this other medical challenge but respect how well you handled it. You’re story is an excellent reminder of the importance of self-advocacy!