Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2022 Day 29 of #30DaysofPH: My Daughter Is My Hero

• Day 29 of #30DaysofPH: My Daughter Is My Hero

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 30, 2022 at 9:50 am

Becky Weiss writes about her daughter Emily, who has PH. She admires her daughter’s tenacity and strength. Emily is working to become a veterinarian.

Becky writes, “This past spring, she rode the Rockin’ Roller Coaster at Disney. I was terrified. Her exact words to me were, “If I didn’t think I could handle it, I wouldn’t do it. I don’t want to die”! I must remind myself that she is an adult now and knows what she is capable of.”

Click here to read the full story.

Do you have any takeaways from Becky’s story? If you’re a parent can you relate?

Pulmonary Hypertension News’ 30 Days of PH campaign will publish one story per day for PH Awareness Month in November. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #30DaysofPH, or read the full series.

Colleen replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

November 30, 2022 at 11:26 am

Hi @becky-zeisloft-weiss, I love this piece so much! I’ve had the opportunity to meet you and Em on a few occasions when we were both in Texas. Ironically, we only lived within 10 miles of each other. But y’all moved to GA and us to CA.

I’m amazed every time I see Em’s updates and pictures. I met y’all when she was so much younger. She’s blossomed into a beautiful young woman who is strong and passionate about animals. I know she will continue to persevere and become a veterinarian!

She has one amazing moma and family who support her. I can’t begin to imagine the pain and stress when she was in Texas. I know mine was 4 hours away and had no PH. But with love and faith, you knew you needed to allow her to spread her wings, and she did.

It’s inspiring that you’re not only her mom and caregiver; you are best friends. That makes my heart full!

I’ll be thinking of y’all as you travel to Houston next month. Safe travels and positive news I know will be waiting. Please do update us when you can. We would love to hear how things go.

PS- we never had those fried pickles and margaritas. So you can’t forget to stop at Tookies! 😉

• Colleen

December 2, 2022 at 5:05 pm

@becky-zeisloft-weiss thank you for writing a wonderful update story on Emily. She is an amazing young woman and proud I’m sure doesn’t begin to describe how she makes your feel.

Personally the giving her wings paragraph resonated with me because I’m having that kind of a moment with Cullen right now. He flies out to Louisiana on Tuesday to visit with his brother for a month. I am so excited for him but a little nervous too. This will be his first experience flying on his own and not having me as a backup to assist with his medical needs. It’s time though. He is more than capable, his health is good and he deserves this experience.

So thank you for sharing your mom experience with the rest of us!