Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2022 Day 4 of #30DaysofPH: Teach Me to Breathe

• Day 4 of #30DaysofPH: Teach Me to Breathe

Posted by Jessie Madrigal Fletcher on November 7, 2022 at 3:28 pm
    At 25 years old, Carla Jean was diagnosed with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Being very career-driven and loving her job, the possibility of being physically unable to continue working was heartbreaking.

However, after getting on a treatment plan and working closely with her doctors, Carla Jean realized that her diagnosis is not a death sentence.

“It is not a death sentence, but rather an opportunity to take things slowly, to live in the moment, and to go at your own pace.”

Carla Jean, thanks for sharing your story with us!

Now back to our PH Community: What were your immediate thoughts after being diagnosed?

To read the rest of Carla Jean’s story and learn more about her life, click here.

Our #30DaysOfPH initiative is running for the entire month of November. Each day, we are featuring a different story, and a different view of life with PH. To read all of the stories, visit our website.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Colleen

November 7, 2022 at 4:41 pm

I think we can all relate to the grieving process Carla Jean experienced at the beginning of her diagnosis. Eventually her survival instinct kicked in and her focus shifted from loss to change and how she could best live her new normal.

The way my husband and I helped our son reach that point was by working hard with his grade school so that he could continue to attend. We encouraged him to maintain friendships and pursue hobbies that he enjoyed but were PH friendly.

These are just some examples. What are yours?

• jen-cueva

November 8, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Yes, like Carla Jean, I, too, was grieving my old life, mostly my nursing job, which I dearly loved. You’re right, @colleensteele; we all grieve something when we are first diagnosed. I also find that I continue to grieve specifics of my life pre-PH at different times and phases.

I love how you encouraged Cullen to maintain his friendships and hobbies. I lost many of my pre-PH friends but have gained so many new friends. Most days, I’ve also learned to adjust to my new normal.