Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

When my son was diagnosed with PH at the age of 8 his doctor advised us to try and continue to raise him as we were – discipline, school, maintain friendships, etc.. Basically, wherever we could maintain a sense of normalcy, try and do it.

We made a good effort to raise Cullen the same way we were our other son but realistically, there were things we needed to change. I addressed these things in my recent column (Link Below). But really, I think some of the things I mention could apply to adult PH patients as well. PH changes things, there is no way around it.

If you are or have raised a child who has PH, what changes did you make while raising them. If you are a parent who has PH and raising children, how has the disease affected your parenting?

Helpful Tips I Learned While Raising a Child With PH

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

As I read this one, @colleensteele, I was tearful and emotional. This touched on so many different emotions for me.

One, because I feel like I know Cullen, my heart broke as I thought about him and being so young. Wow!

My heart aches for you and Brian, as I know this was challenging from a parent’s perspective.

As an adult with PH, it makes me feel fortunate that I did have KK early. If not, I may have waited and not had her.

PH did change some of my parenting ways. I know I often thought that she missed out when I was sick, and we could not take her places. So, I would do things that bent my rules a bit when I felt guilty for her missing out.

Similar to what you shared, she was grounded at times, and she had planned something with friends. I allowed her to go and enjoy that time with her friends.

Despite any broken or bent rules, I have to say, our now adult children are exceptional, mature adults. And, we all survived as parents, right?

Thanks, @colleensteele, for sharing so much of your life to enlighten us and allowing us into your lives. I love you bunches.

Colleen Steele
        Keymaster

@jenc if you haven’t covered it already, what you just shared would make a column topic.

I must say, our kids really did grow into awesome adults. PH did not ruin them. It may have changed the routine and plans a bit but it was all survivable. It sounds corny but love was more powerful than the PH.

Jen Cueva
          Keymaster

Hi @colleensteele, I did write a little about this in an early column. I could expand on this a bit more. You always have such great ideas! But I did not focus on parenting, so that may be an idea later thanks.

It sounds corny, but love was more powerful than the PH.

I love this, corny or not, it is true. Additionally, we are survived and are here to tell our stories.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account