Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Pediatric PH Did PH Change the Way You Had Planned To Raise Your Child?

• Did PH Change the Way You Had Planned To Raise Your Child?

Posted by Colleen on September 23, 2021 at 8:36 pm

When my son was diagnosed with PH at the age of 8 his doctor advised us to try and continue to raise him as we were – discipline, school, maintain friendships, etc.. Basically, wherever we could maintain a sense of normalcy, try and do it.

We made a good effort to raise Cullen the same way we were our other son but realistically, there were things we needed to change. I addressed these things in my recent column (Link Below). But really, I think some of the things I mention could apply to adult PH patients as well. PH changes things, there is no way around it.

If you are or have raised a child who has PH, what changes did you make while raising them. If you are a parent who has PH and raising children, how has the disease affected your parenting?

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2021/09/20/tips-i-learned-while-raising-child-with-ph/

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 24, 2021 at 12:41 pm

As I read this one, @colleensteele, I was tearful and emotional. This touched on so many different emotions for me.

One, because I feel like I know Cullen, my heart broke as I thought about him and being so young. Wow!

My heart aches for you and Brian, as I know this was challenging from a parent’s perspective.

As an adult with PH, it makes me feel fortunate that I did have KK early. If not, I may have waited and not had her.

PH did change some of my parenting ways. I know I often thought that she missed out when I was sick, and we could not take her places. So, I would do things that bent my rules a bit when I felt guilty for her missing out.

Similar to what you shared, she was grounded at times, and she had planned something with friends. I allowed her to go and enjoy that time with her friends.

Despite any broken or bent rules, I have to say, our now adult children are exceptional, mature adults. And, we all survived as parents, right?

Thanks, @colleensteele, for sharing so much of your life to enlighten us and allowing us into your lives. I love you bunches.

• Colleen

September 24, 2021 at 2:39 pm

@jenc if you haven’t covered it already, what you just shared would make a column topic.

I must say, our kids really did grow into awesome adults. PH did not ruin them. It may have changed the routine and plans a bit but it was all survivable. It sounds corny but love was more powerful than the PH.

• jen-cueva

September 27, 2021 at 8:44 am

Hi @colleensteele, I did write a little about this in an early column. I could expand on this a bit more. You always have such great ideas! But I did not focus on parenting, so that may be an idea later thanks.

It sounds corny, but love was more powerful than the PH.

I love this, corny or not, it is true. Additionally, we are survived and are here to tell our stories.