Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Because I have been on oxygen 24/7, my hubby and I have been researching little hacks and have found a few, mostly one that works best for us. First, my hubby tried the microwave; that was his research. That was not much help.

I read to use the dryer, yes, the dryer. But, we also started with what Apria sent me for kink non-kink tubing, which was not. It was better than my previous darker green ones.

So, my hubby finally read, too, for himself, that using the dryer helps. So, he added the tubing in the dryer with a few towels, as per instructions. He set it on low for 10-15 minutes. The directions said 10, but he forgot. He stretched the 50 ft tubing out across our hallway afterward. Here we are a week later, and that worked.

I know that @mendo-bruce offered some suggestions when we discussed nasal cannulas. I thought this topic would be of interest to all on oxygen. The brand is Drive, and it says non-kink tubing, 50 ft. on the label.

Anyone else tried any hacks that worked or failed? Let’s talk about it.

Mendo Bruce
      Participant

Was the “no kink” hose purple? I have read about the purple hose but I haven’t tried it yet. The soft hose from softhose.com is much better at laying flat but it can kink too.

I am experimenting with the automated hose reel from https://www.o2remote.com/ but I have only had it one day and I’m still working out the kinks (pun intended). It’s a little under $200 and I’m not sure if it is going to work or not, I’ll let you know in a week or so.

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Hi @mendo-bruce, no, this one from Drive is a lighter green color and works well. My hubby and I looked at a few of the reels, but the cost was “unreel”.-hehe

Please do keep us posted on how this is working for you and if it is worth the higher cost. Thanks again for sharing your finds with us. Yes, I am hoping you find that since you purchased it that it will work.

Steve Sallee
      Participant

One of my biggest sources of frustration before my transplant. I am so lucky I don’t have to deal with it anymore. I do still intend to attempt to re-engineer this nightmare now that I am retired. If I can accomplish what I think will work, I will have some of you try it out. Stay tuned. -Steve

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Awesome @exjarhead57730, I look forward to hearing what you come up with. It is such a pain some days. I know that you are not missing the oxygen kinks at all.

Thanks for your willingness to help despite your transplant.

Donna Lambro
      Participant

I’m so sick of kinks in my tubing. I don’t know the brand, I get it from the company that supplies my oxygen. I try to straiten it every day. I use a 25′ at night that goes into the bedroom. But the 50′ one I use around the house is the problem. I may try the dryer solution. I hope it works.

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Hi @donnalamblue, I am hopeful that the dryer with a few towels will work for you. Before buying online, ask your oxygen company to order “kink-free” tubing for you. Please let us know if you try the dryer trick.

Thanks, @joef; yes, my hubby tried stretching it out too, it helped a tad, but mine is 50 ft. OMG, I have a small 15-pound mini schnauzer, so I can only picture how that large dog will cut off your supply hehe.

You mention high flow tubing; which one do you use? Also, how high is your O2? Do you have 2 concentrators or one for your high flow?

Joe Flynn
      Participant

I simply stretch the kink and it seem to help.
      I use high flow tubing and it is much less prone to kinking.
      I tried the purple tubing but it was terrible for kinking.
      My biggest problem is my large dog standing or sleeping on my tubing!

Colleen Steele
        Keymaster

@joef I actually snorted with laughter when I read about your dog lying on your tubing. That brings back memories that are funny now but maybe not as funny back then. We usually kept my son’s home oxygen concentrator at his bedroom door upstairs. So, especially when he was downstairs there would be a trail of tubing following him. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard him ask, “Who is standing on my tubing?” I would follow the lead to the source which was almost always our big lab asleep on it.

Jen Cueva
          Keymaster

hehe @colleensteele, now I just laughed reading your comments about the tubing-

This morning, it was my hubby, Manny, not our Sasha, who did that to me. We both just looked and laughed at each other.

Donna Lambro
      Participant

Hi Jen,
      Thanks I will ask if they have non kink tubing. I haven’t tried the dryer yet.

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Another tip that I forgot to add was to try the swivel connectors. These have helped me but also tend to get caught on corners and things inside the house. Just yesterday, somehow, I got it caught inside the fridge, hehe.

The swivel connectors are something that your oxygen company should have; ask., If not, there is always Amazon.

Sarah Kuykendall
      Participant

I haven’t had a chance to really try it yet, but when my supplier was here last week he told me that he helps his mother with this problem. He uses 10 ft tubing connected to each other with the swivel connectors. He says it helps a lot. Good luck!

Colleen Steele
        Keymaster

I don’t remember my son using the swivel connectors. Wish we had known about them. They sound helpful.

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Hi @sarahk, I hope that the swivel connectors help you. I have a 50 ft tube, and it works well. @colleensteele, yes, I just recently learned of the swivels, lol

They do help.

John R R Phillips
      Participant

Wow, lots of cool responses! hmmm…where do I start to discuss the Bain of my existence? I have been on oxygen 24/7 for 6 1/2 years in various flows! At the moment I am on 6 l/m which is up from the 4 l/ before my Covid experience in Dec 2019 – Jan 2020! I do use the ultra soft cannulas because the other ones get hard soon after using! I too am working on a design for a retractable device! I’m a retired scientist and always coming up with ideas on thigs!
      I tried the “non-kink” tubing with minimal success but I have not tried the dryer solution! What I did however was to order 50 ft. of cable wrap and wrap it around my tubing. Flexible and delays the kink for quite some time! I am about to try a larger size because the 1/4″ is sort of tight and a bit difficult for me to put on! After seeing it when delivering my oxygen a couple years ago my oxygen company have shared it with several other customers who have been pleased with how it helps! Too bad I couldn’t patent that but at lease I can share it with folks it might help! I am pretty active although the PH which jumped on board my sarcoidosis train after my lengthy hospital stay last year (22 days, 11 in ICU) is taking its toll!
      My pulmonologist now says I am the healthiest very sick patient he has! Now I have to try and lose 40 lbs. or deliver this prednisone baby…and what a toll that has taken! Okay, I’m rambling so I’m to bother the dog! Thanks everyone for your ideas and support!

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Hi @zannie, thanks for sharing your experiences and your hacks to help with the kind in oxygen tubing. I am also up to 5 liters from 4 after COVID, and now I am on 24/7 that I was not before COVID. By sharing our experiences,. We help others who may need it, too.

Retired scientist, humm, your mind must always be clicking with ideas. I know that others, too, will appreciate the tip. Do you order that cable wrap online or like Home Depot?

You mention prednisone, the necessary evil as we call it. Good luck on the 40 pounds. Check out our newest post, Low Sodium Queen cooking videos, if you need a few ideas. Do you follow a specific diet?

Susi Steppins
      Participant

I knew I would be happy I came here today.
      This is what my husband and I were talking about just this morning.
      I always realize that either he or our dog is standing on my tubing because my ears nearly come off of my head.
      I have a 50 ft. tube that is always kinking.
      There are some really great suggestions here.
      Thank you all so much for sharing them.
      BTW, my husbands very loving nickname for me is now “Hosenose”. 🙂

KRISTINE
      Participant

Oh I can’t believe the topic of discussion amongst everyone which is the thorn in my side. ever since I went on oxygen, yeah you know so all of you designers I’m waiting on the edge of my seat with my hands gripped on the armrest just waiting for your designs to come out. because you know you’re going to be worth a million. I will say however my two dogs they know how to 02 dance. we call it the O2 dance they feel me tugging on under their feet and they move their feet real quick it didn’t take them too long to learn the O2 dance. my biggest struggle is my tubing will go up over the arm of the couch and get caught on pieces of furniture or plants that not knocked over plants. it knocked my eyeglasses off the table last week and I didn’t know it happened and the next thing I seen the dogs were laying on my eyeglasses and they got big gouges across both lenses. yeah I’m not too happy about oxygen tubing either. I guess after a while those of us that have been on oxygen a while we just get kind of used to it. and the only fix or hack I ever tried was stretching it out in the sun one time and that was the pure waste of time don’t even bother.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account