• Posted by jen-cueva on March 8, 2020 at 5:46 pm

Last night before we went to bed, my hubby set our house clocks up an hour. Thankfully our iPhones do this on their own. Did y’all set your clocks ahead an hour? Or did you just wait until today and deal with that?

I took 2 short naps yesterday evening, so I thought I would be up early. My body thought otherwise. I have been waking earlier during the last few months. This for me means that I am up by 8 AM. This morning, I thought I would just leave my med alarms starting at 9 AM and not set a “wake-up” alarm. Well, that alarm went off and I got out of bed just before 9:30 AM. So, I slept from the extra hour that we lost. I know that when this happens, my body needs this extra sleep.

So, did y’all sleep or do something else after “springing ” forward? Does the change in seasons and time affect your sleep or symptoms?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Carol King

March 10, 2020 at 3:31 pm

We set the clocks forward but my body has not caught up. After 2 days of stress during a funeral
    and visitation, then time change I have had to rest these last two days. I attribute that to the PH.
    I am having trouble keeping my oxygen level up. My guess is that is the copd.
    I just keep oxygen on and don’t worry what is causing it.

• V.R. Peterson

March 10, 2020 at 3:41 pm

I always do it the night before the change (Saturday). If I don’t, I’ll forget.

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 10:47 am

Losing that extra hour sleep can be really hard on the body! Sunday and Monday I had worsening fatigue and tiredness in general. I didn’t really feel that well. Turns out that I have an upper respiratory infection. As long as my blood levels come back okay for signs of infection I can still get my surgery on Friday, but I am really hoping that things are okay!

• Sandra Guajardo

March 11, 2020 at 3:53 pm

It was difficult getting up Monday morning to go to work. It was much darker and it just didn’t make sense that I should be out of bed, lol. I keep telling myself it’s only an hour but my body doesn’t agree.

• Carol alexander

March 11, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Yes I did I sprang forward dark in morning when I get up that is 4 o’clock my husband goes to work then

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Personally, I like when it stays lighter our more at the end of the night and don’t mind waking up when it’s a little darker. I like the extra sunlight in the day time especially when the weather gets warmer. This time of year is when I always feel more productive too because it’s not dark at 5PM anymore lol.

• Brittany Foster

March 11, 2020 at 7:57 pm

Carol,
    Wow 4AM seems so early to get up!!! Does he have to drive far to work or does he just have really early hours? I always hate when my bf has to get up early because just him walking around upstairs is enough to get my dog up which then wakes me up because I have to walk him. I used to be an early riser on purpose lol but now I need a little extra sleep when I can, especially if I have difficulty sleeping the night before or something

• jen-cueva

March 14, 2020 at 3:28 pm

Hey there @carol-alexander, great to see you. I’ve had you on my mind the last few times that I have been posting here.

You are much better than me, I stay in the bed as my hubby gets up at 4:30 AM. You know I always got up with him, even though I would most often go back to bed. I have not been doing that the last year or so. I was waking up before 8 AM most days until this last week. It has been a struggle, today I slept until almost 9. But, I went to bed at almost 1 AM.

The extra hours of light I enjoy, especially when it is sunny. But, waking up and it has been looking dark, I struggle to get out of bed. My oxygen has been lower some days and I have been trying to do as my body needs, but I am not a fan of sleeping later.

• jen-cueva

March 14, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Yes, LOL Britt, I am not falling asleep at 9 as much since the time changed. It is just been a struggle to get back to waking up before 8 AM. I know that you are usually an early bird, do you still wake pretty earlier most days. I should clarify, “early bird” to me is before 7 AM- hehe.

• Brittany Foster

March 16, 2020 at 3:23 pm

@jenc oh yes! I am definitely an early bird. Usually I wake up a little before 6:00. When I am not feeling too well I try to get that extra sleep in, but that is pretty rare that it happens that I fall asleep again. I always have a harder time falling back to sleep then immediately getting to sleep initially (if that makes sense). I always liked getting up early , even when I was in college. I would get my workout in for the day, get some breakfast in, all before most were even up! It was like “me time”. Now that I don’t really have the energy to go to the gym, I use that time to take my dog for a walk and make some coffee for myself.

• Brittany Foster

March 16, 2020 at 3:25 pm

@jenc I am not a fan of sleeping in late either. I feel like my morning time is most productive for me so I try to get up and get some things done or at least help to set myself up to be productive during the day. It’s so important for me to take time for myself too and like I said in the last post, this is usually in the early morning hours that I am able to do this and clear my head.

• Colleen

March 16, 2020 at 5:02 pm

I’m the odd woman out here….so not an early bird! I have always been a night owl. I’ve wondered if the editors have every noticed how late at night I often submit my column. Once in a while though I do get up early, especially if I’m having trouble sleeping…figure I might as well. If I do get up early I head for my porch because that is when the hummingbirds like to visit the feeder the most.

To be honest, springing forward didn’t bother me much this year, but I also didn’t have anything major planned. If I had scheduled appointments it probably would have effected me more.

• jen-cueva

March 16, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Hey Brittany, I thought that you’ve always been our early bird. I’m not a huge late-sleeper fan often, either. I was still an early bird before my PH diagnosis. This has changed – I recently started a new schedule where most days, I’m up before 8 AM.

@colleensteele, you’re not alone. I will sleep in, but I also am up until almost Midnight, if not later most nights. Last week was difficult for me to get up, but I’m back on my schedule to be up before 8 AM. I haven’t been taking many naps, so I do sleep in if I have a 3 -5 hour sleep time. I’m not one to function on less than 7 hours or so of sleep. Hehe

• Brittany Foster

March 17, 2020 at 5:58 pm

@colleensteele I think that most of my life I never really got much of a break from waking up early. In high school that was the time I had to wake up. I would usually get up around 4:30 every morning to go to early AM hockey practice because the girls team always got the WORST ice time! So that kind of re programmed my brain I think. By the time I got home from school and sometimes practice again after school I would be so tired and would fall asleep early. The same pattern continued in college because I did sports so that is just now how my body works best and my mind! Unless I am not feeling well then it’s different.