• Do fireworks irritate your PH symptoms?

Posted by Colleen on June 26, 2023 at 9:51 am

Do you enjoy the fireworks, or do they aggravate your PH symptoms?

Next week many of us will be celebrating the 4th of July and with it comes the booms, bangs, and smoke. When my son had PH the sounds, smells and even the excitement was often too much for his fragile heart and lungs. The noises startled him, some of the booms rattled his chest and the smoke was an obvious issue. Not to mention he was on continuous Flolan and had to be super careful of his central line.

Do you struggle with the same concerns during the 4th of July or during any holiday in which fireworks are a part of the celebrations? There were a few years in which we drove to a nice viewing spot and watched the fireworks from our car which was more tolerable for Cullen.

Have you found a way to enjoy fireworks without worry?

jen-cueva replied 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

June 27, 2023 at 1:19 pm

Hi @colleensteele, what a timely topic. I struggle with the smoke and debris if I am close up to the area of fireworks. Like you, we have viewed some from the car, which helps.

I often take Ativan for anxiety if I know there will be fireworks. That helps me not to startle so much.

I’ve always enjoyed watching the fireworks, but we haven’t been as much since my PH diagnosis. Thanks for sharing. What a perfect time to prepare for the 4th of July holiday here in the US.