• Do You Bruise Easily?

Posted by Colleen on August 24, 2020 at 9:38 pm

My son was in the hospital all last week and his blood was drawn 2 to 3 times a day and he was getting heparin shots in his stomach. His arms are all black and blue and his stomach is very marked up too. He literally looks like he was beat up.

My mom suggested a cream that she uses called DerMend bruise formula. I’m going to pick it up for my son to try tomorrow.

Do you bruise easily, especially after lab work? Is there anything you do or have used to help the bruises fade faster?

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 9 months ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 25, 2020 at 2:12 pm

Poor Cullen, I bet he is black and blue. Manny hates when I have been in the hospital with all of the bruising. I tend to wear long sleeves. Because of my anemia, I do bruise so easily. I have used arnica gel from the natural food store at times. They also had sublingual tablets to take under your tongue. It helps speed the process of healing and decreases inflammation.

I have not used that cream, DerMend.Please let us know how well it works. Do you also bruise easily after labs?

• Colleen

August 25, 2020 at 2:55 pm

@jenc it is crazy how bruised he is right now. I swear I don’t remember it being that bad even after transplant. The doctor offered putting a chest picc line in (for the hospital and to go home with) so that he doesn’t have to deal with difficult labs any longer. Cullen adamantly (using a few strong words) said no! He would rather be poked than deal with a picc line again. He had a central line and picc line throughout his whole childhood and not having those after transplant was right at the top of the excitement list along with being able to breathe. The doctor laughed and completely understood. It became a running joke…every time the doctor enter the room he would tell Cullen he scheduled the picc line for him.

I struggle with anemia too, have since I was a kid. So yes, I bruise easily and not just from lab work. Cullen thinks it’s funny to poke my arm forming a smiley face the next day. Thanks for sharing what you have tried in the past for bruises. I will let you know if the cream my mom suggested helps at all. She swears by it, so we’ll see.

• Renee Kimberling

August 25, 2020 at 10:33 pm

Coleen, I know the bruising is scary, but as long as the bruises are at blood draw sites I would just say that it is common when ill or in the hospital getting tested frequently. Sorry your son is going thru this, but I for one agree with no picc line! Infection risk too high!

I do bruise more easily but not necessarily places where my blood is drawn, though I did when I was in the hospital last January. Blessings to you both!

• jen-cueva

August 26, 2020 at 1:24 pm

I don’t blame Cullen. I would have probably given them the same answer-hehe—poor guy.

I, like you, bruise from any little thing. I always have black and blue dots and larger bruises on my body. I hope that the cream helps. I am looking forward to how well it works.

Yes, @renee, the risk of infection, too. They suggested one for me several times. I have had many midlines, but not for long. Take care and stay safe, y’all.

• Alfred Gronroos

August 26, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Hi, I am blond, blue eyed, thin skinned. Red bruises appear if I get close to anything. If I work with my hands the backs bruise, arms too. Terrible to be so young and get old man bruises. Have had some ugly ones from needles at hospitals. I love these forums.. Al

• Colleen

August 26, 2020 at 4:13 pm

Thank you @renee. The risk of infection, the discomfort and responsibility of having one, among so many other reasons, my son doesn’t want a picc line. He told the doctor if the need for labs increases than he will consider it but right now it’s only when admitted to the hospital that his arms get beat-up the most. The doctor was very understanding and so was I.

• Colleen

August 26, 2020 at 4:21 pm

It’s so good to hear that you enjoy the forums @alfredjohn. The fair skinned really do present bruising easily. My son has pale Irish skin and you can see every bruise, scar, needle poke, etc. like a neon sign, LOL!

@renee I meant to comment that I’m not as worried about the bruises (they are superficial and will heal) as I am about what people think when they see them. Just sitting in the waiting room I noticed a few people do a double take.

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Hi @alfredjohn, it sounds like we could be long lost relatives, hehe. Except that I am dark-headed, but the skin is fair and thin. I also bruise from just about anything. Have you always bruised easily? Or just after PH? I am happy that you are enjoying the forums. You have some great contributions here, too. Thanks.

• Jimi Mcintosh

August 27, 2020 at 7:36 pm

The bruising is probably being caused by the heparin and any other blood thinners. There are DC some of the newer ones are safer, have antidotes and allow you to eat most foods. I seem to bruise just thinking about it from the current one I am taking. It usually takes a while to get the correct dose and then it is smooth sailing

• jen-cueva

August 28, 2020 at 11:35 am

Hi @jimi, you bring up an important point. Heparin will undoubtedly cause an increase in bruising. I hate those darn injections when I am in the hospital. I am grateful that you have found the correct dose for you. Too funny, you “bruise just thinking about it,” it seems that way somedays, doesn’t it?

• Colleen

August 28, 2020 at 2:14 pm

@jimi I don’t know why I didn’t think about the heparin but you are right! That is probably why the bruising is worse this time. I mentioned it to Cullen and he said, “Yeah, but those were given in my stomach…oh, right, never mind, it was probably the heparin.” LOL…brain fart!

• jen-cueva

July 11, 2022 at 1:33 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I wanted to follow up and see how the Dermend cream worked. Do you remember? I have been getting bruises, as @alfredjohn says, like an old man. I know people stare, and it looks like I’m abused. I know it’s related to meds, anemia, and my thin skin. I remember my late Pawpaw getting like this in his 70s.

• jen-cueva

July 11, 2022 at 1:33 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I wanted to follow up and see how the Dermend cream worked. Do you remember? I have been getting bruises, as @alfredjohn says, like an old man. I know people stare, and it looks like I’m abused. I know it’s related to meds, anemia, and my thin skin. I remember my late Pawpaw getting like this in his 70s.

• Colleen

July 11, 2022 at 3:37 pm

@jenc geez, I forgot about Cullen going through the heparin shots. I think I had trouble finding the Dermand cream so he tried something else that didn’t work as well. I’ve been doing a lot of yardwork and have been bruising from it quite a bit. Next time I’m at the drugstore I’ll look for it again and try it on myself!

• jen-cueva

July 12, 2022 at 12:05 pm

No worries, @colleensteele, this was some time ago, but I was looking for bruising posts. I did find Dermend online to order, and it’s pretty costly; you may not have had the extra money to purchase it. I know how tight our budgets can be.

I plan to purchase more arnica gel and sublingual tablets today at Sprouts before I pick up my groceries. Hopefully, that helps, then labs tomorrow, so another bruise. I can only imagine some thoughts when they see me battered and bruised out in public.

I’ll keep y’all updated if I get it and start it again. Hopefully, it helps to heal faster. You know I’m always in a hurry for everything, hehe.